Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1508 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2012 3:59 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2012 10:21 AM

Runs & workouts, Saturday, October 6, 2012

Give me 4 miles today with the Claremont Chili Cookoff 5K in 24:26.  I didn't kick butt, but ran within a second of last year's time.  Second in my age group, the guy who beat me is the same guy I beat a few weeks ago in a different 5K.  He ran the same time in both races, I ran a minute faster in the last one and beat him by 30 seconds.

Kind of bears out the way I felt during the race, that last little bit just wasn't there.

And finally, they singled me out as the oldest runner there and let me grab something off the "Goodies" table.  I was hoping for maybe the keys to a new truck, but ended up with a pair of Patriots "sport gloves." 

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Oct 6, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, congratulations! You will beat that guy again. I bet when your legs recover from the marathon, you will be faster than ever. Right now, you are in recovery mode.

Hey, Patriots sports gloves are nothing to sneeze at. It's getting cold: you could wear them running, you could wear them when you stack or fetch firewood.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Dec 16, 2007
    3. Oct 6, 2012 3:57 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

3 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 25:43 (8:34 mile pace).

Right hamstring a little sore. Something to watch this week.

Otherwise I felt fine--felt I could have run a lot faster and a lot farther.

Dark Horse

• Mtaricani Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 13, 2008
    4. Oct 6, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Saturday, October 6, 2012

I ran a 5 mile race last Sunday the day after a 21 mile training run. I assumed the 5 mile run would be a disaster but actually did OK. Finished in 43:46.

Dec 16, 2007
    5. Oct 6, 2012 5:14 PM (in response to Mtaricani)

Mtaricani wrote:

I ran a 5 mile race last Sunday the day after a 21 mile training run. I assumed the 5 mile run would be a disaster but actually did OK. Finished in 43:46.

Very nice!

I could not have done the 21-mile run, let alone a 5-mile race the next day.

Now Rich maybe could have done what you did!

Dark Horse

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    7. Oct 6, 2012 10:03 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Hey Guys,

Sorry for my absence here, but just had one of those weeks.

Sounds like this crew is still getting some miles in, especially after a marathon and bug bites.  I think you have a great perspective on running Rich.  Keeping it all in perspective.  I don't know about playing that age card to get more goodies, though! 

I can't remember the date for your test DH.  Sounds like you are running pretty well on the "dreadmill", which is good.

I have run 11 this week with a 10 miler scheduled for tomorrow.  Not going to hit my 25 mile goal, but will move on to next week.

In the morning, about a block away from my house, the Twin Cities Marathon will go by.  I am at about the 3 mile mark, so at about 5 minutes past 8:00a, the wheelers go by. They start at 7:55a.  The runners at 8:00a.  Before 8:15a, the pack of Kenyans and assorted others blaze past.  It is really amazing how the elite run, so smooth and effortless.  It almost seems they are not running that fast, they glide so easily.  I just wish I could pace them even for a couple blocks, but no way in h*ll could I keep up.

Mike

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...