Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577378 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,080. Oct 5, 2012 7:39 PM (in response to Webpro11)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Tony - I must have been posting when you were.  Good luck in Chicago!  Just tell that toe joint to get with the program and run. 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,081. Oct 5, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Too late tonight for a run outdoors, and the TM slows way down/stops every two minutes or so. Did core exercises and then rode the bike for 30 minutes -- 15 miles, while watching the Braves get cheated by the ump. Maybe they wouldn't have caught up, anyway, but we will never know. And then MLB denied their protest!?!? I thought they had as good a protest as I've seen in MLB in many, many years.

DebM... Hopefully your injuries and cold don't get any worse. Be careful!!

Melody... A "Sweet run" -- does that differ from a strong run?

Snerb..... I loved the bear story. Glad you passed it along.

Webpro..... You Floridians must acclimate to the weather in the north better than we do to your Florida weather. It usually takes me a couple days or more down there before I feel like exerting myself in any way.

MaryK.... Here's wishing your daughter well, and you both enjoy your time together.

Webpro and NRDGirl...... Both of you:  Best wishes for your race!!!

Run safely and warmly, runners.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,082. Oct 5, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to jmsab23)

webpro and nrdgirl:  go kick some Chicago butt on Sunday!  Some friends of mine from CO will be there too and weather looks pretty good for the race.  Trust your training, have some fun, smile a lot and have a great race!  Send us all some pics of the bling after you finish.

Your fan club,

Team Fearless

• sjd23 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4,083. Oct 6, 2012 5:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

9.25 miles in 1 hour 35 minutes. Last long run before my first 1/2 next Saturday.

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,084. Oct 6, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

13.3 miles  2 hrs 23 min  Jeter Mtn Rd.  Two 45 min climbs. Beautiful views after one hour.

I noticed they used a cable wrapped in plastic for fence wire to keep from scarring the show horses.

Hope its cool this year in Chicago!!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,085. Oct 6, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Cool 8.7 miles on Friday morning.  Fall must be the time to see the animals.  Nearing the end of the run I heard a crane pair making all kinds of noise, their 'distress' call.  I could see them flying low in a distant corn field, with a coyote in pursuit. Since they had got in the air they were safe, unless  another of the pack were waiting when they landed.  The things you see early in the morning. Another reason to up and out with the sunrise! 

Tony and NRDGirl-have a blast tomorrow.  Enjoy the whole experience!

to everyone-run strong and safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Feb 23, 2012
    4,086. Oct 6, 2012 9:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.5 miles 68 min. Down & up the mtn the long way. Great view of downtown at night.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,087. Oct 7, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to linuscatch)

linuscatch: I know coyotes have been spotted in Chicago.  I haven't seen any.  On the other hand, I saw a skunk, while making a night time walk to the grocery store.  I kept my distance.

Then there are the Canada Geese. I like to take long runs over to River Park, where there's a track.

http://www.yelp.com/map/chicago-park-district-river-park-chicago

Yesterday I had to hiss a group loitering on the track.  Why they wanted to go to the soccer field on the other side, I don't know.  It's artificial turf,  Nothing to peck at.

Anyway, I got in an afternoon run of slightly over 13 miles.  That included 2 miles around the track.  Wow, did the temperature drop!

The marathoners have brisk weather to run in today.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    4,088. Oct 7, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to degregorius)

Hello, I'm back! I'd stopped getting emails for this thread and been too busy to check it. I see many regulars are still here. 

Ran 5.8 miles today at an 11mm pace, my longest in forever and it felt great.

Last week I ran 11 miles, in what felt like my first real running week in some time. I was out for about a month because of an auto accident - not too major since I walked away, but some damage to me (hurt when I breathed hard, so no running) and especially to my car (3 weeks and $$$ to fix). It was 100% the other driver's fault, so no money out of my pocket.

We have Canada Geese here, too. They're especially annoying when I'm bike riding on the paved trail system. On one street the city put up a "geese crossing" sign one year when the geese were always in the way, but of course the geese don't cross there anymore now that the sign's up.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,089. Oct 7, 2012 12:59 PM (in response to Julia66)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I ran 13.1 miles this beautiful cool fall morning. It was a decent run although there was not much left of me by mile 13! No severe pain in my knee, which I'm very happy about. My feet both hurt at the arches toward the end of the run, but felt better once I was home and out of my shoes. Also forgot to Vaseline my toes which are now blistered on top of calluses. All in all it was good run and I know I will be able to finish the half marathon next week feeling fairly strong. I plan a rather long taper.

mkayc Thanks, hun! I think I'm ready As someone mentioned here earlier, "the hay is in the barn" at this point, so now I stretch, foam roll and hydrate... You really inspire me with your tenacity!!

Webpro11 and NRDgirl  The very BEST of luck on the marathon!!

Debm2011 Bummer about the bumps and bruises. 5000 Scouts?!?! Holey Cow

jmsab23 "Sweet" Run= Great/Awesome/Outstanding/DaBomb

sjd23 Nice job on the long run and best of luck Saturday!

justrundan I hope the cranes made it!

NHLA Power on!

degregorius Nice long run and cool about the Canada Geeese. They make a heck of a mess though, don't they? I do love how they sound though.

Julia66 SO sorry about the accident, but glad it wasnt worse. Good to see you!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    4,090. Oct 7, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

NHLA- nice runs.

MelodyLea- glad you were pain free on your run!  Good luck next weekend.

The MO Cowbell half marathin is int he books.  Was a chilly morning with the run starting off a balmy 39 degrees.  I think by the time I was done it was about 45 which is much colder than I would have preferred.  I finished in 2:02:42 which was about three minutes slower than my goal.  I think the cold had something to do with it, but not sure if I would have cleared two hours anyway.  I beat my previous HM time by about six minutes so i was happy about that.  Felt some pain behind my knee and on the outside during the run and it is pretty sore right now so I will be interested to see how that goes the next couple days.

Run strong all and have a great weekend...or what is left of it.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,091. Oct 7, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

12 miles 1 hr 42 min. Ran to Carl Sanburg house and back.

Gret race Big Slade.

Mel I keep an extra jar by the door.

Julia welcome back. Glad your OK.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,092. Oct 7, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

BigSlade - Congratulations on the PR!

DebM - Hey, I still have my SOAR badge somewhere. Can't remember what it stands for...

Julia - Welcome back.

Dan - I'm rather enjoying the autumn myself.

NRDGirl and Webpro11 - Can't wait to hear your race reports.

Our friend Renee was the 1st American woman to finish in Chicago at 2:27:17. Not a bad debut at the distance! We're so proud of her, she's been working for this for years.

Friday I skipped a scheduled 5 mile tempo run. It was 34 degrees and raining, and I was feeling a muscle pull in my upper right quad, so I decided to rest it. I pulled the muscle Monday when, about 300 yards from home, I saw the city had put a radar trailer at the side of the road to slow down traffic. I just HAD to see how high I could get the numbers to go. Stupid, stupid, Coyote. I wasn't warmed up yet, and paid for it.

Saturday was a scheduled rest day. Checked the forecast last night, and decided to go to church and then running, as it was supposed to be 24 degrees at 7 am!  At 11:30 when I started, it was 45-50 degrees, bright sun, nor a cloud to be seen. The half moon was visible in the west, and it was the only patch of white in the sky all afternoon. 15 or so miles in a little over 2-1/2 hours; long enough to remind me that distances hurt - but not long enough to wear me too badly. I did get a little sunburn.

Run free, everyone!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,093. Oct 7, 2012 9:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.2 miles 58 min. Saw an otter going in the lake.

OC LOL I can just see you doing that.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,094. Oct 8, 2012 6:47 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - Impressive mileage, as always. 

Julia - Welcome back, glad you're okay.

Slade - Good work.  Take care of that knee.

Melody - Awesome 13, enjoy the taper.  Anxious to hear how you do.

Cold and windy Saturday morning in Wausau.  It snowed several times throughout the event too.  But for me, the wrut-n-run couldn't have gone better for me.  I beat the hell out of my time from last years event.  Better still, I was first in my age group and 4th overall for men.  For winning my age group I won a $25 gift card from Eastbay, that canceled out the $25 entrance fee.  I gave the gift card to my son, he's shopping for some new, better trail running shoes.  The biggest hurdle during the race, other than the steep climb was the wind making my eyes water (yes, I forgot to wear glasses).  During the downhill runs the trail was single tracked and very technical and uneven, fortunately I didn't go down, but it was close a couple times.

A little surprised by one runner, he walked up to me after the awards and told me that I'd better prepare and train better for next year because he's moving up to my age bracket and he knows he can beat my time....and he was serious.  I told him that I'm not 'racing' anyone or anything, just running against myself, the clock, and my previous results if it's a run I've done before.  I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

123456.jpg

The only way the weekend could have been better is if the Packers wouldn't have laid that GIANT egg in the second half of the game again Indy.  This is a poorly coached Packers team.

Still on a bit of a high from that run....

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...