Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1467 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 12:22 PM by BradW44
sjd23 Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2012 7:16 AM

advice for first 1/2 marathon

Well my first half is this upcoming Saturday. I  am excited. My goal was just to finish strong and not have a set goal time. I am 49, have been running(for exercise)for years but have never entered any races. My 29 year old niece has motivated me to enter a race and my last 12 weeks of training I have really pushed myself. I have read a lot online about pacing, nutrition etc and I think I am prepared but since this is my first race there still is a lot of unknown. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• radiobear25 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 10, 2009
    1. Oct 7, 2012 8:13 AM (in response to sjd23)

If you have done your training miles you will be fine.  The best advice I got for my first half is to not start out too fast, use your first few miles as warm up.  The most important thing to remember is to have fun and make sure to drink plenty of water and carboload the day before. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 7, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to sjd23)

Seed yourself properly at the start and don't be a rabbit. Take your time the first couple miles.  For the 2nd half of the week, eat a good, carb-heavy diet, and stay well hydrated.  That will reduce concerns about fueling and drinking during the race. Enjoy the run!

Len

Len

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Oct 7, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to sjd23)

Wonderful advice from the others...I can only offer to find your personal comfort zone (others will get you off pace in one way or another and it is easy to find yourself going too fast or too slow along with a group), so try to tune into that special mental mode of where you want to be to move well and finish. 

P.S....this is your first race?  Well, now you will have to implement your own version of the reverse taper and do a 5k, 8k, and 10k (in that order, of course), as part of your appropriate recovery efforts from the half.  !

Seriously, races are great opportunities.  Congrats to you and your niece...you all should have a wonderful experience and wishing you many more happy finish line celebrations. 

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    5. Oct 22, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to sjd23)

Sounds like you are a natural!  Great job and good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points