Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2270817 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 707 708 709 710 711 ... 760 Previous Next
  • jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,620. Oct 8, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Another newbie here.  I'm 6'1" and not sure about the weight but last time I was on a scale it was a hair over 3 bills.  Not sure if you've read any of my other posts, but I'm with the DOD currently deployed in Afghanistan.  One thing we've got plenty of over here is time so I'm doing C25K (again).  I was here last year and did C25K and made it through the whole thing, but I did it on a treadmill.

I actually started back in July but sprained my ankle and a trip home for R&R threw my schedule out of whack.  When I got back from R&R I started over at week 3 where I was when I left.  Yesterday was w4d1.  I wasn't looking forward to it at all...seemed like a big jump from week 3.  I was surprised how well the first half went and even the 2nd 3 minute run wasn't too horrible.  The last 5 minutes were pretty bad.  I usually run with my stopwatch so I can see how close I am to the end.  I made it to 3:30 before I checked my time.  By that point I figured I did that much, surely I could do the last minute and a half.  That exhausted feeling was far outweighed by the pride I felt and the high I was on for the rest of the day.  I'm actually looking forward to my run in the morning.

• cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012
    10,621. Oct 8, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

new to site and well i fit in this topic well.   im around 250 right now and just started this program.   W1D1 completed today and well while it wasnt easy i didnt stop or quit.  Body kept telling me to stop but i was saying no way.  good luck to everybody else and happy trails

Oct 26, 2010
    10,622. Oct 9, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well, for some reason, w4d2 felt worse than day 1 but I still finished it.  In addition to the c25k I've started going to the gym for 20-30 minutes a day before lunch to so some weight training and I've also found a hand-2-hand combat training class that I've started doing 3 nights a week (M, W, & F).  So far that has been another fun way to break a sweat in the evenings...it's been popular enough that he's even going to start doing some bonus classes on the other 2 days (T & Th) just for people who want to get some extra practice.  One of the other good things about being here is that there are quite a few opportunities to take advantage of things like this, there always seem to be some sort of activities like this happening.

I've actually started a blog just to try and keep a running tally of what I've been doing, http://fatghanistan.blogspot.com/, but I've got a picture posted there so you can see where I'm starting from.  I have yet to weigh myself since I've been doing all this stuff, usually when I'm at the gym where the scale is I'm all decked out in full ACU's and some pretty heavy tactical boots, but it definitely seems like my belt is getting a little looser.

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    10,623. Oct 12, 2012 5:44 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone

I just atttemped W5D3  and I hit a mental brick wall. Is it just me or is there a hugh jump from W5D2 to W5D3?  I did not feel confident about this day when I started and I must have psyched myself out.... I had to modify my W5D3, nstead of a 20 min run, I managed a 10 min run, 2 min walk, 6 run min and 2 min walk.   Did anyone else have this problem?  W6D1 looks easier.  Should I keep trying to complete W5D3 before I go to W6D1? 

Oct 26, 2010
    10,624. Oct 13, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Had someone here that I hadn't seen in a few days tell me it looks like I'd slimmed down.  Makes me feel like a million bucks and a good incentive to get out there and do W5D1 tomorrow morning.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,625. Oct 14, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Would love to do the Macinac bridge run  -  i was out on the island for first time in 35+ years 1-3 oct this year.  nice to see the color etc.  Did ride bike around the island with my wife and hiked couple of the side trails.  Also managed to fit in couple of 5K while on vacation - its always fun to do local races in someone else's back yard.  next big race is Marine Corp Marathon 10K.  This will be 4th year I have done it.  I've been busy fighting crashed hard drive (laptop and desktop) and have been busy working  as well.

hope everyone is doing well - I did manage to maintain weight while on 3 week vacation  (including dinner at Grand Hotel).  I once again am flirting with the 220 line - was very close yesterday morning.  I have much better eating habits when not on business travel  -- less pizza, less beer, more fruit and veggies...

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    10,626. Oct 14, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I would like to join your thread. I can't believe how long it has been going!

I am 29 years old,  5'6" and currently weigh 189 lbs. this is a big deal for me because I got all the way up to 225 lbs. I have been 200+ for about 5 years with one 6month break right before I got pregnant with my son. I got down to 170 at that time. My goal right now is 155. I have been working my butt off to lose the weight. I started with walking two hours a day 3 days a week. While I was at the park I was inspired to run by all the fit people who were lapping me! Lol some of them were at least twice my age! I have never even had the desire to run before. My niece is also a runner. She was actually recognized in our local paper for winning at her last meet. I am so proud of her! I want to be able to run with her, at least at her practice speed.

I started the C25K program on 9/24/12. I am starting W3D1 on Tuesday. I am also starting a new strength training program tomorrow. Wish me luck! ;-)

• s1rGr1nG0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012
    10,627. Oct 17, 2012 11:30 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Greetings everyone!

I just found this site today and joined up. I am a contractor working in Afghanistan and earlier this year I decided I need to do something to try to get back in shape. I was 258 lbs at the time. At 5ft 9inches tall I was pretty plump!

I started watching what I eat and lifting weights and wound up losing 30 lbs! I've since hit a plateau and haven't lost any recently although I have gotten stronger. I decided to start walking/running again to try to push through my rut. Earlier in the year I tried it but gave up just to lift weights. At that time I was doing about 3.7 miles in about 64 minutes.

Fast forward to a few nights ago when I decided to run again, (remember, Im 30lbs lighter now), I did 3.7 miles in 52 minutes. I was shocked!

I've ran 2 other times since then and last nights 3.4 mile walk/run was done in 42 minutes! It's such a great feeling seeing improvements like that. I'm hoping to drop about 10 more pounds before going home at the end of the year for R&R and get my 5k time down to under 40 minutes!

Oct 26, 2010
    10,628. Oct 18, 2012 12:10 AM (in response to s1rGr1nG0)
    200+ Pound Club!

Where in Afghanistan are you?  I am a DOD Civilian at Bagram trying to work my way through the couch-2-5-k program.

• s1rGr1nG0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012
    10,629. Oct 18, 2012 12:18 AM (in response to jeb6294)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm waaay down in Helmand Province at Camp Dwyer, South of Leatherneck with a bunch of US Marines.

• AmandaGanza Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2012
    10,630. Oct 18, 2012 2:27 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to weigh in here (ha-get it?). You most definitely can do this.

Im 25 years old and a busy medical student about to interview for residencies. About 1 year ago the stresses of med school had gotten to me, and stress eating had gotten me up to my highest weight ever - 237 pounds. I wanted to be able to walk the walk and set a good example for my future patients, so I knew I had to make a change. Dietary change took off the first 10 pounds. Then I did something crazy - I signed up for a Tough Mudder (a 13 mile course with about 25 military-style obstacles like running through fire/live wires, diving into ice water, and scaling 12 foot walls with the help of your fellow racers). Boy, was that motivation. I used a couch-to-5k app to starts running - and could barely finish W1D1 without feeling like I was burning up my lungs - I had never ever been a runner or even run for more than a minute straight in my life, so I thought to myself, "What are you, crazy?! You can't do this." But I couldn't let down my tough Mudder team. So I pushed on and all of a sudden by week 3 - running started to...(wait for it)...feel good! The intervals were increasing, and although it was tough, it was also fun to push myself each time and cheer when I accomplished something.

At the end of the first month, I was down to 227.

One of the greatest moments in my training came around week 6 - the C25k app had me run for 20 straight minutes. When, to my surprise, I actually did it, the British female voice that had been calling the prompts to run/walk shouted a message of encouragement: "You just ran for 20 minutes! You can definitely call yourself a runner now!"

A "runner." Wow. Me? The girl who could barely run for 1 minute without panting under 2 months ago?  Yes. A runner.

With renewed vigor I signed up for personal training to build up the upper body strength I would need to complete all of the obstacles, and kept increasing my running time on my own. Not only could I run the 3.1 miles in under 35 minutes by the end of the C25k app...but I kept going.

4 months after I started training (it was March now), I weighed in at about 205 and RAN THE TOUGH MUDDER. I never felt more accomplished in my life. Sure, my team switched over to just walking and less jogging by mile 8, but I was no longer the fat girl slowing everyone down. I held my own. I RAN.

After that I immediately signed up for more 5ks to keep the momentum going - I did two "Color Runs" since then (you start off dressed all in white and they throw colored powder at you at ever kilometer so you're a rainbow by the end). The day I broke the 200 pound mark and weighed in at 198, I cried. I hadn't been user 200 since high school!

Unfortunately an ankle injury sidelined me for a while and I wound up gaining back to 210, but I just started a couch to 10k app program a few weeks ago and it's starting to feel amazing already. I completed W5D2 yesterday, I've lost 3 pounds (207 now - would have been more if I had kept my eating under control from the beginning but I'm on the right track now), and I feel incredible every time I push further. The last run was 2.5min run/2.5 min walk x12 reps. So I was out there for more than an hour and completed about 5.5 miles. I'm hoping to eventually make it to the 10k (6 miles) in 50-65 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes!

I hope you found my story inspiring. If I can find time to run as a med student (and hope to keep it up during residency) you can do it too :)

-Amanda

• margim Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2012
    10,631. Oct 19, 2012 6:04 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! I'm not a runner--yet.  I actually am still at the point where I hate running but am trying to force myself to get into it because it's required for my 2nd degree black belt test.  The test will be hard enough--I don't want the running to be an issue.  I've had knee problems in the past and am working on losing weight (have lost over 50 pounds in the last 2 years).  I take a glucosamine supplement, which has really helped my knees. I know too that I need to build my endurance and my core up a bit better.  My legs are strong (so many kicks) and they can go for awhile without the muscles even getting tired.

Part of the transition I'm dealing with is that much of my martial arts work out requires short bursts of intense power--ie I can sprint well but anything where miles start to matter is far more difficult right now.  I'm open to suggestions...playlist suggestions...anything to get my brain wrapped around enjoying this even a little.

Thanks!

Margi

• cotterk Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    10,632. Oct 19, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to margim)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone,  I 'm new here.  I started useing C25K last January.  I ran my first ever 5K on Mother's Day!  I was 35 and 255 pounds.  Last August when I started this weight loss journey I weighed 293.  Now I 'm training to run my first 5 mile run.  I took a bit of a summer break from dieting, still jogging, but not watching what I was eating.  So as of today I weigh 247.  I want to get down to 230 by my next race on Nov.  11. I 'm very happy to find a group like this!  Here's my question, how important do you feel speed is yo your running?  I feel like sometimes I 'm barely jogging and, no lie, speed walkers have passed me on the trail.  I usually jog 2 miles during my lunch break.  I 'm trying to figure out if it 's more important to continue to jog to build up stamina or walk 1/2 mile and jog 1/2 mile to build up speed.

Oct 4, 2012
    10,633. Oct 20, 2012 7:39 PM (in response to AmandaGanza)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for sharing Amanda. I jumped up and down shouting Yes Yes Yes when I finally got back under the 200 mark! Lol  I have never done any kind of run before. I am looking forward to doing my first 5K on the 28th. I am truly inspired by you though. If you can complete an endurance course at 205 I should be able to do a little 5K at 188! ;-) That's what I am going to tell myself anyway!

Oct 4, 2012
    10,634. Oct 20, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I forgot to mention that I completed W3D2 on Thursday. I was supposed to do W3D3 tonight but my husband didn't get home until after 10 pm so I have to do it tomorrow. I haven't lost any weight this week so far... My official weigh in is on Monday so maybe a miracle will happen between now and then! Lol any tips on how to increase weight loss? I am already keeping my calories at 1200.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...