Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52414 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23 Previous Next
  • greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Oct 7, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Well my knee/hip (mostly the knee) was bothering me more than ever on that last run. I think it must be an IT band issue (based on what I have read online). With almightyD's PT's advice in mind, I decided that I should really invest in a good pair of running shoes, and see if that helps at all. So today I went to a store where they measure you and have you run on a treadmill. They said my ankles were rolling in when I landed, which might be causing misalignment, leading to the pain I am having. So, I dropped $178 on $120 shoes and $45 inserts that they suggested for me. I don't exactly have the kind of money to just throw around like that, but I figure investing in my healh is quite important. So, the shoes feel great, and hopefully on my W3D3 run tomorrow they will work well for me!

If this doesn't work I may have to go to a PT myself. I just want to be able to run!! Is that so much to ask?

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    76. Oct 7, 2012 8:08 PM (in response to greenybeany)

They had you run on a treadmill? Was it a local specialty store? I was impressed when they scanned my feet at the new balance store! Lol  I hope they help. I know how you feel about running though. I want it bad too! We can do it! ;-)

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    77. Oct 8, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

We have a really nice running store back in Cincinnati, Bob Ronker's Running Spot, that does the treadmill thing and they also have this mirror/glass box thing that you can stand on barefoot and you can see what kind of arch you have.  Right now I'm using some Nike Air Max that I just picked up last time I was at the Nike outlet store so my next R&R I'm going to see about getting some better shoes since I'm planning on sticking with it.

I would just say to be careful about throwing on your new shoes and going for your next run.  Maybe it's just me, but when I get new shoes thay can really hurt my feet until I've had a chance to wear them around for a while.  If your store is like ours they will let you try them for 30 days and if they aren't working will let you bring them back.

• Couch2Trackula Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    78. Oct 8, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I did W3D1 this morning it was just meh. I hope those shoes work great for you Greenybeany, I've been thoroughly impressed with your ability to push through the pain. Cheers everyone! Keep on runnin!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    79. Oct 8, 2012 2:22 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Nicolette - I drink a protien shake by premier nutrition called protien. 30g protien only 5 carbs. I can only find it at costco here in washington.  I drink 2 a day first thing in morn and around 3pm and watch the amount of carbs and have lost 44lbs in 3 mo .

Dec 14, 2007
    80. Oct 8, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Loony2ns-  Just finished my first W4 run too and it kicked my butt!  But made it through! Woohoo.  I'm also doing the distance C25k and was a little disapionted that my 1/2 mi'stook 10 min. Looked at my map in app after my run and some of parts I was trying so hard to run it had down as walking :-(  Still feel like I'm 90yrs old whenn I "run"

• cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012
    81. Oct 8, 2012 3:17 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

i just started C25k today.  wasnt sure if i was gonna be able to run at all but i did complete it all.   was very happy    well w1d1 complete, long ways to go

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    83. Oct 8, 2012 8:50 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

greenybeany, I didn't even think to ask you what shoes they recommended for you.  I need to check when I get home but I'm pretty sure my ankles are the same way.  Someone here gets Runners World magazine so I usually snag those when they are done with them and one issue had a shoe selection guide in it.  For me, an occasional runner with a BMI over 27, it said I would do well with Brooks Vapor 10's but I'd be interested in hearing what shoe you ended up with.

Dec 14, 2007
    84. Oct 8, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

With the protien shakes I drink I am never hungry, and since I started them I don't have as much muscle soreness, or cramping.  I start with my shake and then have breakfast at 10 then have another at around 3 and that seems to even hold me for my worst time o the day  after everyone goes to bed.

I have been starting to think of how I am going to keep this up when the weather  starts to get bad because I usually drag my 4 yr old with me (on her bike).   I hate treadmills they scare me......any suggestions?

Sep 24, 2012
    85. Oct 9, 2012 7:30 AM (in response to jeb6294)

Wow thank you everyone for the support and well-wishes! And thank you Couch2Trackula for being thoroughly impressed with me! haha that felt great to hear!!

Yeah, Nicolette, it was a specialty store called Fleet Feet (Rochester, NY). They did the measurements and the treadmill thing and then brought out maybe 5 shoes that they picked for me to try on. They even let me take each one for a run outside! I tried my best to be responsible and pick the one that fit best, rather than the one with the coolest colors haha (seems like bright neon colors are really in right now with running shoes!). I picked the ones that felt most comfortable and natural, but supportive. They were Asics GT-2000 D (wide). I have a mortons neuroma so I need wide shoes. On the website it mentions that they are good for mild to moderate overpronators (rolling in the ankles), so that makes sense. Here's a link if you want to look at them:

http://www.asicsamerica.com/footwear/running-shoes/gt-2000-t2k7n-womens/

And then the inserts that I bought (I think the running store I was at only carries this brand) were Superfeet (the Berry ones designed for women):

http://www.superfeet.com/activity/running-walking/Berry.aspx

I'm sure there are specialty running stores in most cities- I would definitely suggest going to one rather than buying online (unless you already know which shoe you want). That's interesting about the glass box thing in that store in cincinatti- I don't think they had one of those where I went.

Anyway, I went out for my W3D3 run yesterday and I can definitely say that the shoes helped, a lot! I still had some minor knee pain but it did not interfere with my running like it did on W3D2. It felt more like a sore muscle than the sharp, intense pain I was feeling before. I'm hoping that after some time with these shoes the pain will go away altogether. My 17 year old sister came on my run with me, too. It was good to know I could keep up with a 17 year old who is (was) probably in better shape than me due to the fact that she has gym class/ a more active schedule, and I sit at a desk all day. It was nice but I don't think I would want to run with other people all the time, haha.

Yeah... AlmightyD, it is getting cold out there! I'm planning on trying to stick it out and run through the cold with a bunch of layers on. Any way you could leave your kid at home? I'm not a fan of treadmills either- half of the point of running for me is to get outside and enjoy the outdoors, as I spend so much time inside as it is- and even moreso in the winter! Anyone else know any tips or tricks for running in the cold? Is it generally safe?

Sep 24, 2012
    86. Oct 9, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to greenybeany)

I just found a good article from this site about running in the winter:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/4-Cold-Weather-Running-Tips-for-Beginners.htm

Yay! They say that burning lung feeling will go away after a few runs. I hope that is the case...

• Sheesha34 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012
    87. Oct 9, 2012 8:15 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Great job everyone!  I did W3D3 last night and I was terrified, but it was pretty easy! Ok, it still hurt, but I made it.  I even wondered if my phone messed up and skipped something.  I hadn't ran in 4 days so I thought it would be horrible.  Today is W4D1.....I'm scared!  Run for 5 minutes, yikes!!!   

P.S. I have Brooks shoes and I really like them....they are light.  Keep up the great work guys!

Alicia

C25K:

Week 1: Complete 9/25/12
    Week 5:
    Week 2: Complete 10/1/12
    Week 6:
    Week 3: Complete 10/8/12
    Week 7:
    Week 4:
    Week 8:

First 5K: November 3

No matter how slow I go, I'm still lapping everybody on the couch!

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    88. Oct 9, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Good for you, Laura!  Tonight, we start W6, that 2 miles non-stop, and it's a bit chilly here.  Oh my...

Thanks for everyone about the protein shake tip.  Good to know.

peace, shelly

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    89. Oct 9, 2012 4:45 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hello, I am so excited to have found this forum!!  I started the C25K a week after this group but I don't really think that will make much of a difference.  I have to say, this has been an AMAZING 3 weeks for me!  I can't believe I'm doing it! I'm RUNNING! its just crazy!!  And I feel fantastic.  I have never been a runner and I was the girl in gym class that walked a majority of the 400 yard dash or whatever it was called.  I'm really amazed at how doable this program is.  So anyways, Here's some info about me.  Im 49 and I'm a Registered Nurse.  I work from home.  I do telephonic Case Management.  This caused an increase in my sedentary lifestyle and over the past year I put on an additional 20 lbs and I was already overweight to begin with.  The stats?  I'm 5 ft 6 inches and weighed 194.  I started weight watchers in the summer and I was down to 183 in late September.  On Sept 24th, I started C25K week 1, day 1.  I had my trusty sidekick, Chloe - my maltese with me and she was great!  I have been vigilant with the program and I just did Week 3, day 1 today.  Yesterday was a bad day so I had to put it off until today.  Sometimes that happens.  I am now down to 174 lbs and its coming off much quicker. Today I did the 3 minute run and I was so thrilled that i did it! What a great feeling it is when you accomplish something!  I feel good, my energy is better.  Its awesome.

I am glad to see other people at the same stage as I am in this program.  I have great support among my friends and this forum will only help me more. I have not signed up for any 5K races as of yet.  I guess thats my next step so that I have something to work towards.  I am doing a short 2K (I think) Heart Walk for the American Heart Association on October 27th.  I could probably run the whole thing by then!  I have not had any issues so far with my running.  I'm hoping that continues.  I do think I should start look into better shoes.  I'm using cheap Target shoes right now but if I'm going to commit, I best get the right stuff.  Its getting cold here in Northern Ohio where I live and I have a membership to the local YMCA so as the temp drops, I'll probably go run at the Y in the indoor track. 

So thats my story.  If anyone has good info on how to go about getting a good shoe, let me know.

Maureen

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...