Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1961 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 8:33 AM by Running Yogi Carrie RSS
digitalsinner Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 9, 2012 7:42 AM

Tips for a New Runner

Well, I'm not even a new runner yet, since I haven't started.  I've always thought about running, but never done it.  I've gotten sedintary, overweight, and just recently had a recent scare with my heart.  I want to fix me and I want to achieve something I never thought I would be able to do.  ...a 5K.

(in my head, that's the part where the scary music queues)

I've recently moved to another state and don't really know anyone, and so I feel like I need to try and find a support network online.  People that are new, like me, as well as the pros who don't mind giving advice and good strategies. 

I'm really intimidated by this prospect.  I'll be training, finding, joining, and likely running a 5K solo; but I feel like I need to do this, not only for my physical health, but for my mental health as well. 

My plan is to start with the C25K program and go on from there.  I've been perusing the web, but I was wondering if there are any specific places I can go to seek out local races for early 2013. 

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    1. Oct 9, 2012 8:15 AM (in response to digitalsinner)
    Tips for a New Runner

Welcome!

There are a bunch of us newbies who just started the C25k from a few weeks ago to this week on this thread:http://community.active.com/thread/261575/anyone-starting-c25k-in-late-sept/0/0

Read through and join us.

and YES to running for both physical and mental health. I have struggled with depression/anxiety forever. I'm not saying it is some magic tool, but I am only on week three of the couch 2 5k, and I can already see that I am feeling more "at peace," happier, confident. Just having a goal and sticking to it, and having something to be proud of- 'I DID THAT!'. Also, having something that I do for myself and noone else feels really good. But the best part is getting outside and just relaxing (well, idk if you could call running relaxing, but you know what I mean!). I have found that an important part of it is not to compare yourself with others, or get yourself down for your speed or how long you can run, but just do what you can, take it easy, and be proud that you got up and did something for yourself... and stick with it. If you struggle with or mess up on one day of the C25k, re-do it until you can manage it, and then move on. Also, get fitted for good pair of shoes if you don't have some already-- I found that out the hard way!

Good luck digitalsinner! You can do it!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    2. Oct 9, 2012 9:10 AM (in response to digitalsinner)
    Tips for a New Runner

I run on a military base in Afghanistan.  It was pretty intimidating at first because there are always soldiers out running in the mornings.  I was so worried about it that, when I first started C25K, I ran out the back perimeter road in the evenings after work because there usually weren't any people out there until it got to a point that it didn't feel safe any more.  That's when I decided to change to mornings and move my runs up to one of the main roads.  It seems like my worries were for naught.  From the looks I get, it seems like most of the other people who are out running respect the fact that I'm out there doing it.

One other thing I discovered is that I like running in the mornings a lot better.  It doesn't matter when you do it as long as you're out there doing it, but on days that I have a run I feel like a million bucks for the rest of the day.

• klmtiger Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    3. Oct 9, 2012 10:13 AM (in response to digitalsinner)
    Tips for a New Runner

I just started running this year and got bitten by the racing bug. I'm slow as all get out, but I enjoy the atmosphere and having something real to work toward; it keeps me motivated. I find races on the following websites:

http://runningguru.com/EventsList.asp?First=Yes

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

Even on active.com - http://search.active.com/search?v=list&f=activities&l=everywhere&m=meta:endDate:daterange:today..%20meta:channel=Running

Your local newspaper might have a list of races in their online calendar; you can also stop in your local running store and ask them about upcoming events in the area. They might also know of a running club that you could join.

Lots of people started out where you are, and will be more than happy to help you, too. Don't be afraid to ask for help, ask questions, even if they sound dumb... if you're asking the question, chances are other folks want to know the answer, too!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    5. Oct 9, 2012 10:33 PM (in response to digitalsinner)
    Tips for a New Runner

One thing I did, don't be afraid to start walking for a week or two before you jump right in to c25k.  Walking uses all the same muscles as running so it's a good way to work up to running if you haven't done it in a while.  You don't have to feel nearly as self-concious if you're walking either so you can do it anytime and have a much better chance of meeting other people who might be interested in ramping things up.

• Running Yogi Carrie Rookie 1 posts since
    May 11, 2012
    6. Oct 18, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to digitalsinner)
    Re: Tips for a New Runner

Digitalsinner,

I began using the C25K plan after Easter. While I was not entirely "sedentary" then because I did yoga frequently, I was definitely never running; so it was new to me.  I found that I always fell apart around week 5 of the C25K program. If you can do it and stick with it, it will get you conditioned to run a 5K.

Also, it was really difficult for me to stay motivated because I was doing it all on my own. My entire fitness journey has been a solitary one. It sucks when my husband (with his insanely high metabolism) can eat pizza (and other junk food) and drink beer without tipping 135 lbs. He doesn't have to work as hard as I do, so he doesn't. But it means that I had to find people who would encourage me. We have several local running groups where I am, and though I was TERRIFIED of running with others, I joined them three weeks ago. Since then, they have helped me so much with advice and encouragement.

Firstly, they recommended Jeff Galloway for realistic and injury free training. You can find his stuff here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/. Also, they've advised me to get fitted for running shoes, which I'll be doing within the week because my shins and knees are really feeling the burn. Lastly, they've stressed the importance of cross-traning.  Since I'm already doing yoga, that works really well on recovery days because it stretches out the hamstrings and keeps the quads loose, thereby preventing injury. But I've added an elliptical workout that essentially counts as my weekly "long run," and it's great for building my endurance without the stress from impact.

Those are the tips I've personally benefitted from using. Also, if you want to visit my blog, where I discuss my struggle to a more fit version of myself, you may not feel so alone. It's Carrie's Cultural Commentary.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...