Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

935 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 6:38 PM by lenzlaw RSS
spoken2byhim Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2012 10:07 AM

Are all kayanos created equally??

Hey all!

I am new to the site (although I have been reading around here for several months), and I am getting back into running after taking a while off.

I have done a few 5ks off and on over the past couple years, but I would really like to get into half or even full marathon shape again.

When I was running more seriously, I had invested in Asics Gel-Kayano 13's and those were the BEST shoes that I have ever worn with my support needs.

Being that these are several years old and I have logged a lot of miles on them, I know that I need to get a new pair.

My question is: If I got the Kayano 18s are they built similarly to the 13s? Do the various Kayanos offer different support or are they basically the same with cosmetic changes?

I know the best advice is to take my Kayano to a good running store and let them take a look at it, but I just wanted to know if anybody on here had any ideas.

Thanks!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Oct 10, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to spoken2byhim)

Spoken2byhim I have owned Kayano 17's and been thu two pair of Kayano 18's. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Asics Kayano 19's due out in select stores November 1st. In my opinion this is the perfect shoe for me. If you check out the running world article online shoe guide you can help make a informed decision. According to Asics this shoe just keeps evolving and getting better year after year. The Asics 18's are only 1oz. The long awaiting 19's are lighter than that. Their has been MANY changes that are not cosmetic since the 13's were introduced. this shoe is advised for runners running an average of 25 miles per week, over 150lbs, or anyone needing more stability. I just completed the Chicago Marathon on Sunday and again no shoes issues. Go for it. you 'll be able to find a good price on the 18's soon.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 10, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to spoken2byhim)

I used to wear Kayanos and thought the 13s were a disaster. Between the 13s and rising prices I moved on to other shoes.  That said, they are good shoes that work well for a lot of people. But if those are what you're wearing, they're pretty old and definitely should be replaced. I know there were changes from the 13 to the 14 and I imagine there have been more changes since.  Try them on, run around the store in them, see how they feel.  Good luck.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...