Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4872 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 12:27 PM by LaraJeanL
lsivak2012 Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2012 7:54 AM

Calf Pain and Compression Socks

Hello all - I am having some calf pain in my inside calf area.  It seems to bother me when I increase my distance/time and usually only hurts when I am not running.  It kinda comes and goes like a pulse but eventually gets better with time.  My question is, will a compression sock help with this?  Very new to running and not sure what compression socks actually are supposed to do.

Thanks!

Laura

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Sep 22, 2012 3:10 PM (in response to lsivak2012)

Hi Laura,

Compression socks or calf sleeves should help with circulation and reducing leg fatigue.  They are also great for recovery, so I can say that they do make a world of difference.  Some runners suggest that they are a benefit for overall endurance, as well.  It is okay to wear compression gear even when you are not running. 

Calf pain can come from a variety of sources, but compression socks compliment the vascular system in the legs and add additional support/stability for the muscles, so it certainly would not hurt to try them. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    2. Sep 23, 2012 6:20 AM (in response to lsivak2012)

I really like my compression sleeves. I use them after almost every run. I also wear them after doing heavy legs/calves at the gym. Sometimes, if I ran the day before the gym (like today), I'll wear them during my whole leg workout. If the pain is only in your calf area, I would definitely recommend them.

• Coach_Christine D Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    3. Sep 23, 2012 5:13 PM (in response to lsivak2012)

I totally recommend compression socks after a long run. I tried the cheap ones from Walmart as well as the more expensive ones from a running store and honestly both work great. I didn't notice a difference. Since you have some pain, I would recommend the following stretch:

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainstraintreatment/ss/calfstretch_2.htm

After that use the foam roller on your calves, spray some bio-freeze on your calves, put on your compression socks and rest I hope you feel better soon!

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    4. Sep 27, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to lsivak2012)

It's possible you are developing posterior tibial shin splints. Rest the area for a week, ice several times daily. As pain subsides, begin stretching and use a foam roller to massage the area. Add calf raises and flexion exercise to strengthen the anterior tibialis muscle. Shoes with more arch support would also be of benefit.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Studio City

• jonalowther Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    5. Oct 3, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to lsivak2012)

Hi Laura,

This link provides lots of information regarding compression and how it works and how it can benefit you. Compression is a very loose term and you need to be aware of what some brands are clearly saying on their product. This product adheres to medical standards of improving venous return in the lower leg.

http://www.compressionadvisory.com/for-sport.asp

This should answer all your questions with compression socks. The benefits with this company are that they take specific measurements of your lower leg such as ankle, calf, shin length and also take your height and shoe size into consideration ensuring you get the right squeeze for you. Something which other brands fail to do.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

• LaraJeanL Rookie 3 posts since
    May 23, 2012
    6. Oct 10, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to jonalowther)

Hey Laura, calf pain is one of the most common ailments that runners face (especially with increased mileage, intervals, frequent hills, etc). I have found a few great tools to help with my tight calves. Calf Compression Sleeves are great because you can wear them while you run, or when you are resting, and they help increase blood flow to the damaged calf muscles. I use the Cho-Pat calf compression sleeve: http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/cho-pat-brand/cho-pat-calf-compression-sleeve.

Tight calves often times lead to more serious injuries so it's important for runner's to address calf pain. What most runners do not realize is that there is a simple preventative solution: Stretching! The ProStretch Plus is a great tool to help increase the degree of calf stretch. It gives you a stretch similar to the link previously posted, but offers a deeper, more controlled calf stretch. You can find it on amazon or here's more info: http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/prostretch-brand/prostretch-plus.

Good luck and happy stretching!

- Lara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...