Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15326 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 5:18 PM by Runninsister Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Maudie Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 10, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to ruthaw)
    Best sports bras for big girls

Yeah, the best ones are going to cost you.

I like See Jane Run: http://www.seejanerun.com/c-10-dd_cup_and_up.aspx

I've been wearing the Moving Comfort Maia for a couple of years now.  It doesn't exactly come in my size (I'm a 34G, definitely a specialty size!), but I'm OK with a little extra compression from squeezing my Gs into a 36DD.

If you're a bigger size or want to go with a specific size, try HerRoom.com: http://www.herroom.com/search.aspx

I like them for all styles of bras, and they've got an amazing range of sizes.

• meeshinAZ Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2012
    16. Oct 10, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to ruthaw)

I feel your pain! I have only been running a year and it took me a while to find a good bra. I went from a 34DDD to a 34DD and found that "The Last Resort" sports bra found on www.titlenine.com is really awesome. I feel very little to no bounce when I run. It fits really snug so it takes some getting used to, but I think it's worth every dollar.  I hope this helps!

• Renoblondee Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    17. Oct 10, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to Maudie)

I'm a Champion fan too.  I wear a 40 DD, and when I first started running I used a regular cotton underwire bra under a regular strech sports bra.  It could be very uncomfortable.  I found the Champions at Kohls for buy one get one half off.  They run around 40$ I believe.  Highly recommend!

• BiggerBras Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2012
    18. Oct 10, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to ruthaw)

We have been testing tons of sports bras just for bigger ladies and hard to fit sizes! Http://blog.biggerbras.com

I'm looking for the perfect one now and our customers have really recommended the Elomi Energize for comfort and low impact activities as well as sleeping and the Enell sports bras for medium to high intensity. I hear the Shock Absorber Level D max is best for running and high intensity workouts but it's compression based, so keep that in mind. These all run in the sizes you'd need. I hope you find your perfect sports bra! KC

• GatorCSI Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 24, 2011
    19. Oct 11, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to ruthaw)

Juno by Moving Comfort - worth whatever you have to pay for it.   I used to be very heavy with 46DDD - as I lost weight (97# to date - woo hoo!) and was running and biking, I found that the Champion bras just didn't have the support I needed for runs.  I have a couple of their underwire ones for biking though, because I like not having a uniboob.  The Juno does have moderate uniboobage, but it's not hideous. The velcro straps are very secure and extremely comfortable. I don't get slippage or ride up, other than a little from just moving so much.   The bounce is well controlled without feeling like I'm gonna die, although when I first put it on, I was sure it was too tight.  Wear it running a few times and you won't think so though!

Measure yourself CAREFULLY and get the right size.  In "normal" bras, I'm in a 40DD, and in the Juno I wear a 40DD or a 38DD, depending on how I feel that day. I did a 10mile race a few weeks ago and got a little chafing where I didn't have RideGlide on the straps, but nothing really painful.  More like a "huh, look at that."  There's also enough coverage in the cups to carry a gel without it rubbing your skin raw.  I wash them in the machine - gentle cycle with my other running/biking clothes and use sports wash, not regular detergent, and I hang them to dry.  Pretty colors too!!

Also, if you're looking for good sportswear for larger sizes, look at AeroTech Designs. I bought my triathlon clothes, running, and biking shorts there before I could start shopping in the normal retail places. In my opinion, still the best place for biking shorts online.  Made in America too!!

Good luck and run happy!

• collw65 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    20. Oct 14, 2012 2:44 PM (in response to ruthaw)

Hi There!

I have the very same issue!! I've worn two bras; a bra and a compression tank--you name it--but no solution was truly that comfortable.  In preparation for my first 5k last weekend, I finally broke down and went to a shop with professional bra fitters.  I promise you, it is DEFINITELY worth the extra expense.  Not only did I find out how off the mark I'd been in choosing a bra size for myself (I was basically buy bras that were much too large in the band and with the largest cup size I could find--in most stores that was either a 40 DD or DDD.  Turns out I'm a 34 GGG! EEEK!!! In any case, I wound up leaving there with 2 different styles of sports bra, both made by FREYA.  They are FABULOUS!!! I've always worn bras with underwire so I was hugely surprised that a bra WITHOUT underwire could work so well for someone with breasts my size! This style has 360 degree support in the cups so the girls are lifted, separated and held firmly in place.  I also liked the Freya with the underwire and got 2 of those as well.  I've worn all three and love all of them.  I actually ran the 5k in the non-underwire version and it worked perfectly!! No bouncing, no jiggling, but I also didn't feel constricted.  I've been gradually building up in my running for almost 2 years now and along with proper running shoes, these bras are hands down the best investment I've made! I believe they've made an actual difference in my performance, because I'm SO much more comfortable.  Couldn't recommend a proper bra fitting more, and I also couldn't recommend these Freya bras any more highly.  Hope this helps!! And congrats to all of us for getting out there and moving!!

• CKoltun Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2012
    21. Oct 14, 2012 4:26 PM (in response to ruthaw)

I have really fallen in love with the Walmart Danskin Now front-clasp racer-back sports bra.  I normally would wear a 40DD but get a 38D in my sports bras; I find that going one size down also helps add much needed support.  I am thrilled with the support and price but the best thing about it is that you don't feel like you're in a straight-jacket when you try to take it off.  Because it has a front clasp, it couldn't be any more user-friendly!

• Mom Gelardin Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    22. Oct 19, 2012 6:35 AM (in response to ruthaw)

Extreme Control Sports Bra by Anita Active®--

Athleta sells it, $67.00 and worth it!!!  I bought 2-  one in white, one in black

• myfairlady Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009
    23. Oct 19, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to ruthaw)

hello

I feel your pain....I have found Enell a good bra for me.  I have lovingly nicknamed it "the Iron Maiden"

Not much to look at but it works.  It's durable and that's good because it's pricey.

Moving Comfort has some pretty good ones but I still bounce.

I wear about a 36DDD or 36 DD depending on the brand.

In Enell the sizes are not like that but a single number.  I think I have a size 1 or 2.

Good luck

• onerunningmama Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    24. Oct 24, 2012 9:19 AM (in response to ruthaw)

I am a HUUUUUGE fan of the Juno bra by Moving Comfort. It's probably about $50 if you buy it direct from Moving Comfort (which I think is pretty expensive) but it's ABSOLUTELY worth every penny.  And MC has such excellent customer service.  I'll never wear another sports bra.  (I was a 36DD when I started running, BTW.)

• Sonja80811 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    25. Oct 24, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to ruthaw)

As many of the prior comments have mentioned - Moving Comfort is an EXCELLENT sports bra.  That is ALL i use now...I work out 4-6 days a week and wear them everyday for running, bootcamp, all cardio really.  I recommend hand wash or gentle cycle machine and air dry, and you should replace your sports bra every year.  It's well worth the $50-$60 dollar investment for the girls to be secure and comfortable!  I shop at Title Nine - either in store or online.

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/310184.do?sortby=ourPicks

Good luck!

• Runninsister Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 5, 2012
    26. Oct 29, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to ruthaw)

I bought two from Bareneessities.com and both are great.  One is by Freya Active and the other is Enell.  Well worth the money for full figured runner who is not nesecarily overweight.  I'm not over weight, but full figured.

• Runninsister Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 5, 2012
    27. Oct 29, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to collw65)

I like my Freya also.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points