Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59588 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Previous Next
  • Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Oct 9, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I completed W2D1 yesterday! I was very impressed with my ability to actually complete the interval without checking to see if my time was almost up! LOL! I did drop my earbuds during one of my running portions and missed the cue to begin walking. Soooo.... I was still running when it told me to start running. I slowed down long enough to see what was going on then completed that running interval so I would be back on track. Which means that I ran for almost 4 minutes! That is astounding to me. I couldn't even run for 30 secs the first time I tried!

On another note, my niece had a cross country meet today and finished first for the girls and even passed a boy close to the finish line! I am so proud of her! I am going to be running a 5k with her on Oct. 28th. She will have to definitely slow down for me but I am determined to run the whole way!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    91. Oct 9, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

It sounds like everyone is doing really well!

Greenybeany - I'm glad to hear that your knee/hip pain is getting better.  Way to go for sticking with the program even with the pain!

AlmightyD - It's nice to know someone else is doing the distance option.  How did W4D2 go for you?  You mentioned treadmills were scary, so I have a funny story for you.  Many years ago I was a member of a health club.  One day I saw a guy running at a good pace on one of the treadmills.  He was talking to a guy standing in front of his treadmill, and I guess he forgot where he was.  He suddenly stopped running and he shot backwards and landed flat on his back behind the treadmill.  The only thing he injured was his pride, so it ws pretty funny!

Maureen0131 - Congrats on the weight loss! 

Nicolette78 - Congrats on your niece!

Today I finished W4D2.  Since I am fairly lazy I decided to combine the 2 1/4-mile runs into one 1/2-mile run so I would only have to run 3 times instead of 4.  When I got home I looked at the running plan and realized that what I did was actually W5D1!  So I don't have to worry about whether or not I can get through the beginning of week 5.  The end of week 5, however, is a little worrisome!  I can't remember the last time I ever ran 2 miles without stopping. 

Keep on keeping on, folks!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    92. Oct 10, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I have been thinking about what should come after the 5k. I read in another forum that a lot of people struggle to keep running after they finish the couch to 5k because they don't have a schedule to stick to anymore.

I was looking around and found a "bridge to 10k" program (with an app you can buy as well, for you techy folks!) here:

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

I'm just speculating here, but after (if) I finish Couch to 5k, I think I might want to do several weeks of just doing 30min runs 3 or 4 times a week to get used to it, and then move on to the bridge to 10k program. The difference with that one is that you are alloting a lot more time in your schedule to running (up to an hour). Spending 30 minutes out of your day seems so do-able compared to that! haha.

Has anyone found a simple running schedule to use after the 5k, that just keeps you at that the 5k level, but is still a planned schedule?

• Couch2Trackula Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    93. Oct 10, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I was really frustrated with the app this morning. I always turn off the interval stats because it's like 30 seconds long and it breaks my focus and my mindset. I updated the app yesterday, not thinking that my settings would change. They did, and not only was the stat reading option on, but it doesn't start until after the 5 min warm up and your first run interval. Sooo, I had to start all over because you can't access options or settings while doing your run. In the end I guess I just got more running and exercise, so it's good, but I was really frustrated. I'm sure the other people passing by had a weird start to their day, seeing someone stopped on the track, headphones on, looking down at their phone saying "sh*t- aw come on-sh*t" :)

Sep 28, 2012
    94. Oct 10, 2012 9:49 AM (in response to greenybeany)

Greenybeany on the android app there is a 5k improver program. I might do that next. I may do the bridge to 10k one someday, but it's a lot more time, and I run in the morning before work. I know you mentioned not wanting to do 5k races, so it won't be for you but for others- I plan to keep registering(paying fee) in 5ks , first is Thanksgiving. I hope it helps me keep training and running. I know some other people that it's what kept them going.

Sep 24, 2012
    95. Oct 10, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to Couch2Trackula)

Yeah, I think I may have spoke too soon about running in races... I think I may have been feeling a little negative that day, haha. I still don't like the idea of running with tons of people, but it does seem like one of the best ways to stay motivated. And hey, don't you usually get a t-shirt? haha. I'm hoping that my little sister will run with me in either the Turkey Trot or the Raindeer Run. The Turkey Trot is only 2.5 miles, so by the end of this I should definitely be able to do that! I may be going out of town on Thanksgiving though.... we will see.

That 5k improver program sounds good. Do you happen to have a link to the non-android version that I could just look at on the web? That sounds frustrating with your app problem this morning. Now you've got a rep as 'that weird guy that yells at his phone.' You should do something even stranger next time just to keep people guessing, haha. I don't have a fancy phone so I just use my stop watch. It works well for me. My little sister was shocked that I don't listen to music (when she came running with me the other day)... she was like "so you just run.. and like.. look around at trees and stuff?!" haha. I enjoy it. But I think if I ran on a track instead of around the neighborhood, music would be necessary to keep things interesting.

Sep 28, 2012
    96. Oct 10, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to greenybeany)

LOL... the lengths I will go to for a free shirt are huge haha. I just looked and the 5k improver is done by distance, which sucks for me because I do it by time. I can post it if you want it, just let me know. I'm going to be out of town on Thanksgiving too visiting family in ATL, so I looked for a 5k there and found an awesome one. I switch off, sometimes track sometimes freestyle. Oh and yeah if I ever want the track to myself I will take it to the next level- grow a mustache, wear short shorts, and do a sweet 80's punch dance routine for a lap or two :P

• MandyUK Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2012
    97. Oct 10, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I know you folks have been running for a few weeks so I'm lagging a little behind you.  I would really like to join the chat for some moral support!!

I'm 50 years old, mother of an 8 year old, over weight and agreed to do a half tri next August with a bunch of friends who are mostly 10 years younger than me - Am I crazy or what!

I have been cycling for a while, can swim fairly well (although I have to get over my fear of swimming in open water - a discussion for another time) but I can't run.  Yep, tried when I was in my 20's - couldn't do it.  I tried in my 40's still couldn't do it so why I think I can do it in my 50's I have no idea.  I have been to the gym a couple of times.  I ran (well maybe that's not the right word) I got around a 5K race for our local fire department last Saturday in 47.17 minutes.  I need to be able to run/jog by next August. I have downloaded the C25K and will start to work on it.

Thank you, thank you for any tips you can give me

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    98. Oct 10, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to MandyUK)

well folks-did my w5d3 run this morning( the 2 mile continuous run)- piece of cake- just slow down take your time and it's pretty easy.

those of you looking for what next after C25k may want to look into "one hour runner"

Bestwishes,

stephen

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    99. Oct 10, 2012 4:28 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

W4D2 in the bag!  It was alot easier than d1. Went to a local park with a track to run only to find out 1/2 way through there was a x-country meet today. Stupid teenagers with your boundless energy, you may be in my shoes one day :-) Which are also asics by the way Greenybeeny I too pronate.  But I finished despite being a little embarrassed with all those runners passing me. and shaved a little off my pace.

Thanks for the article GreenyBeaney I think I am going to try to stick it out running outside. There are sometimes I have someone to watch my little boo.  I am also going to check out my local Y for a track, I go there to swim but have never asked if there was a track thanks for the idea and Welcome to the group Maureen.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    100. Oct 10, 2012 6:32 PM (in response to greenybeany)

I'm thinking about signing up for the Reindeer Run. I don't know if there is more than one but this one is in Lakewood,Ohio on dec 1. Is that the one you were thinking about doing greenybeany?

Sep 24, 2012
    101. Oct 11, 2012 6:19 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Ha, I wonder if that is a common name for christmas-time races. The one I was talking about is in Rochester NY.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    102. Oct 11, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well, week 4 is in the books.  I was checking out what's in store for me in week 5 and trying to decide if I should be nervous about it or not.  Figured I did that with week 4 and I was able to finish that week so I decided I'm not going to sweat it and just set my Droid for week 5 and do it.  I use the Intervals Podcast so that way it can tell me when it's time to switch from walking to running and vice versa.  I used to run with my ancient Ipod Nano but lately have been using my Droid instead.  I discovered that, even though my phone does not work here, I can still use the GPS stuff so while I was home last time I downloaded the Nike+ app.

• AnaOyervides Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 21, 2012
    103. Oct 11, 2012 7:28 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Doing week 3 day 2 today.  signed up for the Gritty Goddess in Galveston TX on November 3rd.  I'm starting to like the challenges.  I wanna drop about 50 lbs. I've been carrying around for 10 years.  Feeling great!

Sep 28, 2012
    104. Oct 11, 2012 7:56 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Cool blog Jeb... as your anonymous interweb encourager- I demand serious results from you and your weight loss/health goals *salute* To maureen and greeny, I don't have a reindeer run, wish I did, but I'm doing a Cupid Chase 5k in February.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...