Skip navigation

2146 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 8:36 AM by patrick fetzer RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2012 7:14 PM

2012 GranFondo Cannondale Los Angeles Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2012 GranFondo Cannondale Los Angeles below Back to event details page.

• VinoVeloLV Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    1. Jun 18, 2012 7:17 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2012 GranFondo Cannondale Los Angeles Reviews

Unfortunately the organizer seems to be disorganized...not only did the venue and date change but the registration fees were only updated recently here on Active and the event is 3-weeks away! Where is the updated/revised route map and event info? All we have is the start line address. The GF Giro LA-Pasadena on July 22 is looking faaar more organized at this point.

Furthermore, try contacting the organizer's email---it does NOT work!

• Rusas Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    2. Jun 25, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to Guest )

VinoVelo you are so right, but, wait, there's more! Check out the Gran Fondo site. You will notice they now post the LA Gran Fondo date as Oct. 7!!! That's right. The date has been changed yet again. I am asking for my money back from Active. Still waiting to hear....

• TianheYang Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    3. Jul 3, 2012 11:10 AM (in response to Guest )

More news: after multiple attempts to get a refund from Star Events, who organizes the GranFondo Los Angeles, they're only offering me discounts on this year's event, or on future years' events. They don't seem to be willing to compensate riders for the full event cost. What a terrible experience.

Feb 15, 2012
    4. Jul 3, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to Guest )

I sent this as a PvtMsg on Facebook to the organizers:

Gentlemen,

The beauty about where I reside here in Las Vegas is our District Attorney's office is such a Consumer Advocate because of the numerous fraud that takes place in this city. I just put out an exploratory inquiry at the gyms where I teach indoor cycling 9x/wk (my classes have 70-90 riders on average at Life Time Fitness, 24Hour Fitness, LVAC, & David Barton as well as the cycle teams/clubs McGhie's, Nu-Vision, Red Burros, Vegas Biking, LV Cyclery, ProCyclery just to name a few) and it looks like you have well over 100 participants for GFLA on July 15 just from the Las Vegas area; that was the immediate response from just two days ago, so it is safe to assume there are many more.  I brought it to the attention of the District Atty (himself a cyclist at David Barton) that the transactions were done on-line and the purchases were made in this jurisdiction therefore we have recourse to file a suit against your company if you do not offer refunds. At this point a credit is an absurd option coming from a company with an obviously poor reputation of NOT coming through with its products or services. Think it through, your actions may cost you more in the long run if you do not offer a full refund. Our DA does not take long in filing local class action type of suits that affect high profile and monied individuals (cyclists in Vegas have mula) in our city because he's got a hUge ego and wants the attention. Do not compound your already fragile reputation.  In plain speak...you guys blew it!

Nov 15, 2010
    5. Jul 3, 2012 5:04 PM (in response to VinoVeloLV)

VinoVelo, I hope your letter gets their attention. My email to them came back undeliverable, and of course, Active told me to pound sand when I asked for a refund. I think the ride organizer's offer of anything to trade on my $125 is not a viable option given their track record to date. And what if I decide to try and do the ride on Oct. 7? What's to keep them from moving it yet again?! I am also really disconcerted that I alerted Active so long ago about the date change, yet they continued to allow people to sign up and take their money under the pretext that the ride was July 15. I have a friend who suggested I can take action through my credit card, arguing that the terms of the original purchase agreement have been violated. I think that might be viable. The whole scenario is just a sad development. Talk about a whole new meaning for the words Gran Fondo! 

• TianheYang Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    6. Jul 3, 2012 10:49 PM (in response to Guest )

VinoVelo, it seems like you have quite a few cycling connections over there in Las Vegas. I hope your influence in the cycling community will help you make some progress in this debacle. Please keep us updated and let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Rusas, perhaps try contacting Star Events. Active seems to be just the event directory and order processing system; the organizers are Star Events. Here is their board of directors:

http://star-events.cc/site/fr/starproduction/boards/board-of-directors

I have been in contact with Olivier, but he doesn't seem to be able to grant my refund. Perhaps one of the other members will be more able/willing to refund us for the event time/location changes and mischarges? Good luck.

Feb 15, 2012
    7. Jul 12, 2012 10:40 AM (in response to Guest )

I just contacted Cannondale Marketing and suggested that they disassociate themselves from this organization.  If they heed my request to distance themselves from this group for fear of a black-eye because of a potential law suit that may catch Star Events attention and simply cut their losses short by offering refunds.

• JimStewart1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    8. Jul 15, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to Guest )

@RUSAS Your idea about following up w/ your credit card company is a good one.  I'm going to follow up with mine and have the charges reversed. I have plenty of documentation to prove my point. Shame that Active doesn't have a means of addressing reports of "organizer misconduct" by offering a warning to new sign-ups.

• chankyulim Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    9. Jul 15, 2012 9:40 AM (in response to Guest )

Another July 15th-er chiming in his disappointment. Got charged the "late" registration price early June, still no refunds being offered. I might try the Credit Card route too and see what happens.

Nov 15, 2010
    10. Jul 18, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to chankyulim)

I have filled out paperwork sent by my credit card company to dispute the charge for not providing services. I am mailing that, along with the documentation (receipt, undeliverable emails, their offer to let me do other rides in exchange for this one, etc.) today. Not sure how long it will take, but I would be surprised if I did not get my account credited. Stay tuned...

• JimStewart1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    11. Jul 18, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to Rusas)

I have already received a credit from my credit card. They have sent me the dispute papers and I will be processing that over the next couple of days. It is a shame it had to come to this!

• patrick fetzer Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    12. Oct 12, 2012 8:35 AM (in response to Rusas)

Maybe we can all get a class-action against Active.com; they took our money and don't have any measures in place to hold Promoters accountable.  What's stopping anyone from fraudulently promoting an event, collecting the money from Active, then 'splitting town?'  Oh wait, I guess nothing since that's excatly what happened here....who cares what Active.com's 'policies' are, if they are nothing more than aiding and abbetting a fraudulent promoter they should be held accountable.

Tour de Gruene 2.jpg

Patrick Fetzer

Owner

Laguna Beach Cyclery, Inc.

240 Thalia St.

Laguna Beach, CA 92651

949/494-1522 (Shop)

949/842-6308 (Cell)

• patrick fetzer Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    13. Oct 12, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to JimStewart1)

Maybe we can all get a class-action against Active.com; they took our money and don't have any measures in place to hold Promoters accountable.  What's stopping anyone from fraudulently promoting an event, collecting the money from Active, then 'splitting town?'  Oh wait, I guess nothing since that's excatly what happened here....who cares what Active.com's 'policies' are, if they are nothing more than aiding and abbetting a fraudulent promoter they should be held accountable.

Tour de Gruene 2.jpg

Patrick Fetzer

Owner

Laguna Beach Cyclery, Inc.

240 Thalia St.

Laguna Beach, CA 92651

949/494-1522 (Shop)

949/842-6308 (Cell)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...