Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

54357 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Previous Next
  • looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Oct 11, 2012 8:15 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Well, I finished week 4.  I didn't really follow the plan exactly.  I like to take shortcuts, so today I just combined all of the runs into one long run.  I am amazed that just a few days ago I could barely finish 2 laps (1/2 mile) without stopping, and today I ran 1.5 miles!  I'm really blown away by that. 

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    106. Oct 11, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm very discouraged today. I'm not losing any weight. I'm on week 3 and I'm watching what I eat and doing this running program. I just thought I'd see results by now. I really don't know if I'm eating right with the increased activity. Im hungry all the time. I keep my calories per day to 1200 max. On run days I have a smoothie that has 17 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.  I'm thinking I need to add walking on non run days or some sort of activity like low impact aerobics. Any advice or words of encouragement are appreciated.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    107. Oct 11, 2012 7:27 PM (in response to maureen0131)

I only lost one pound the first week I started the C25K.  I have added an additional hour and a half of waking after my run. I have started walking, doing Zumba or some other type of exercise on my off days. I will let you know on Monday if that made a difference. We are actually on the same diet. Lol. I was losing three pounds a week on the same diet but with two hours of walking four days a week. I am hoping that I will be back on my previous weight loss trend with the additional exercise. You can do it! I have 37 more pounds to lose and I am determined! How much do you need to lose?

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    108. Oct 11, 2012 7:45 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Maureen - If your not gaining give yourself more time, you may be building muscle.  My weightloss slowed down when I started running but was still losing inches.  Check out calorie king .com  they have a great program that helps you keep track of what you eat and your activity and gives you suggestions to help you optimize your diet.

Oct 9, 2012
    109. Oct 12, 2012 4:09 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Nicolette78, I have lost 20 lbs since June on WW. I might have lost 3 since starting this. I

Running W3D2 in about 10 minutes. I have 45 more lbs to lose. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to add more activity on non run days I think. I'm going to buy good running shoes this weekend too! Very excited about that!

Oct 9, 2012
    110. Oct 12, 2012 4:14 AM (in response to almightyD)

Thanks almightyD, I'm on weight watchers eight now so I have those tracker app that I use. I'll keep the calories king thing in mind if I want a change. I'm not gaining but I'm just not losing either. I might be losing inches though. My clothes are getting loose!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    111. Oct 12, 2012 5:08 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I've always said that how your clothes fit is a much better way of measuring your progress.  I haven't been on a scale since I've gotten here but I can definitely tell that I have to tighten my belt up a little more in the mornings.

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    112. Oct 12, 2012 10:48 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I can't believe I'm the only person having knee pain.It stinks! It now appears that the new shoes didn't make it go away, they just changed it a bit. I can run, but it hurts in both knees now. After my run my knees were kind of hot and swollen seeming, so I iced them for a bit.  And I think I may be the youngest person on here, at 23! What is the deal?

Well, I'm going to try these exercises and see if that helps.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/183.shtml#quads

• cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012
    113. Oct 12, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

hi everybody!!  well week 1 completed today .   was a little sore in the beginning of the week but by today i didnt feel to bad.   Greenybeany not sure why your knee hurts im 45 and not hurting yet.   well everybody have a great weekend and happy trails

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    114. Oct 12, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

W4D3 completed with the cutest little running buddy, my 4 yr old.  She really wanted to run with me so we got her some good shoes and went to the track (so if she wanted to stop she could and I could keep going.  She actually did half my run with me, well actually beating me. and then jumped on her bike for the 2nd half (because she was bored I think)  Oh did I mention it was raining, what a little trooper.  Will do one more day of week 4 on sunday then move to week 5 mon.  Oh and found a C25K group right near my house that started oct 2 that I'm gonna join figure it can't hurt to go back a week or two one day a week to get the help of a running coach. Today was a little less stumbling a little more  jogging.

Also got a pair of "cool" black running gloves today getting ready for the cooler weather. My hands seem to be the only thing bothering me on the cold morning runs so far, and they look cool. Lookin a little more like a real runner :-)

Oct 9, 2012
    115. Oct 12, 2012 5:25 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I did it! Completed W4D2 today and I'm thrilled that I am doing this! I signed up to run a 5k on Thanksgiving! I am  so excited! I can't get the table to copy from my iPad but here's my progress:

Week 1: Complete 9/21/12

Week 2: Complete 9/29/12

Week 3: Complete 10/5/12

Week 4: Completed 10/13/12

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7:

Week 8:

First 5K: November 22; Turkey Trot, Detroit, MI

Second 5K: December 1; Reindeer Run, Lakewood,Ohio

Oct 9, 2012
    116. Oct 12, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Greenybeany, I started having knee pain today :(.  I am going to walk for 30 minutes on non running days to see if it just ligaments. The pain (achy really) is on the sides so it may be weak cartilage. So you are not alone. I plan to start a yoga type DVD this week called Praise Moves. It's yoga positions with a Christian focus. I am also hoping that helps too.  Going to Fleet Feet tomorrow! Bye bye money! Lol! I think I'll get my "cool" black gloves too!

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    117. Oct 12, 2012 11:16 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I just completed W2D3! I didn't complete 5K in the 30 minutes so I kept going until I did. It took me 39 minutes.

Does anyone else have the Nike+ sensor/app? It is awesome. The Nike+ website keeps track of all of your runs and you can look back and see the progress you have made. It is very encouraging. It is definitely worth the $20. If you don't have Nikes you can buy the little pocket that you put on your laces. It's only like $5. The app and the Nike+ community website are both free. I run the Nike+ app in the background while I am using my C25K app. You can also upload your runs to FB for all of your friends to see. It really helps me to be accountable to someone else. I just thought I would share because it has been such a motivator for me. ;-)

I hope you all have a fun and safe weekend!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    118. Oct 13, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

I use Nike+ too, but I use the one on my Droid that works off GPS instead of a sensor.  I had the sensor one with my Ipod Nano but the battery in my sensor died.  I was going to see about getting a new one but then I figured out that, even though I don't have phone service here, the GPS in my phone still works so I downloaded the Nike+ app the last time I was home on R&R.  The only downside is that it seems like it is keeping pretty good track but it always says I have a weak signal so I can't be sure and I won't be able to upload my runs until the next time I get home unless I can find a decent wifi signal on the base somewhere.  If you've got a smartphone I'd recommend it.

The other thing that has me feeling great today is that I saw someone I hadn't seen in a few days and he said I looked like I'd dropped some lb's.  Makes for good incentive to conquer W5D1 tomorrow morning.

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    119. Oct 13, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hurray!  W5D3 DONE.  The last 1/4 mile was tough, but I kept telling myself that if I walked, I'd have to do it again day after tomorrow.  That helped to keep me going!  Wow, I've reached the downhill stretch.  I'm not very good at finishing my projects, so I'm ecstatic that I'm still plodding along and past the halfway point.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...