Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

684287 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 Go to original post 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,110. Oct 10, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Oops, not that it matters too much, but today's time was 34:40, not 43:40. My son's friend would've wanted it corrected.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,111. Oct 10, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to jmsab23)

NRDGIRL. "You Rock" CONGRATULATIONS on a great well planned and trained for race. I loved your race report. I just wanted you to know as I walked slowly thru the city on Monday. You were not alone hobbling thru the city. It seemed like I was able to spot every runner by the way they were walking. Lol

Wow what a great race to one ENJOY. I feel awesome now that I'm back in FL sunshine.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,112. Oct 10, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to Webpro11)

So good to hear you are enjoying your experience!!

Linus - "Does that hat have coyote receptors in it?"   Maybe a stun gun would help!

Dayum Reds! They are a better team this year but still have one foot in the farm league. Just when they are playing like professionals they remind me of why they aren't. Rolen and Phillips and don't get me started. Why did Dusty take Chapman out????? Well, its another day.

Went to do speed work with Scott's group and only three of us showed up. The two men started running without me even though they knew me and I was warmining up on the track. I waited for them to finish what they were doing and said, Hi. They asked me to join and I first said No because I was too slow and then I thought Why not? I can do one lap to their two laps and there are only two of them. So, I said Yes and ran with them for 4x. That was enough. Motoactv said I was running 8-9 mm. That's probably wrong but I was going way over my race pace (12 mm) Even though I couldn't see them behind me, knowing they were there and could finish two laps before I finished one pushed me to go too fast, no matter how slowly I forced myself to start. Eh, so I ran hard. Big deal. But, Kevin, the "leader" posts on FB that he and Troy did great speedwork, 6x 800 (so they only did one more lap after I left). I'm shaking my head and watching the frustrating game and yeah, I had to say something about how they should be thanking me for making them look so fast and Kevin gets upset about how overlooking me was all his fault and I shouldn't blame Troy so I delete delete and ech! New rule - never post after 8 pm and just because a male is younger doesn't mean he's going to be any less self-involved. Live and learn. It's been so long since I was married, evidently I need in class in MaleEgo101 just to avoid getting into trouble.  Just kidding, guys. Some women can be very taxing, also.

Stay strong and fearless out there!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,113. Oct 10, 2012 9:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 55 min. Perfect weather today.

Way to go WebPro.

• HoundMom Amateur 32 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4,114. Oct 10, 2012 10:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I was active on this forum last year up until I did the Disney 1/2 marathon Aug 2012 and then life got in the way. I stopped running and now I finally feel I have the energy to get back out on the road again. Finished 6.45 miles yesterday morning. The run was a bit of an adventure since the pup and I came across a mama coyote and her two pups. The pups were very curieous and wouldn't leave my dog alone...they wanted to smell and interact with her. My dog out weighs the adult coyote by about 20 lbs, but I still don't like her too close. They followed us for 2 blocks! Mom kept coming within 10-15 feet, while her pup would come even closer. I think it's time to pick up some bear repellant for next time.  

Over all, the run felt good, but I was a bit sore today. Guess that's the price I pay for my prior laziness. I just wanted to say it's nice to see some of the same people still active on the forum after all this time.

Stay safe and happy running to all.

Disneyland Half Marathon - 9/4/11 - 2:45:28 *first race completed...yay!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,115. Oct 11, 2012 6:04 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

WebPro and NRDGirl - Congratulations.  I was thinking about being able to run 26.2 miles the other night.  Amazing.  Be proud.

5.5 miles last night at a 9:00 pace.  Struggled a little bit with sore legs.  My calves were VERY tight after my hill race this past weekend so yesterday was the first run this week.  Monday was the worst, I actually had to walk down stairs backwards in the morning when I got out of bed.  Like I said to a friend of mine, my calves are slightly harder than this concrete floor.

Unfortunately, the days of running in shirt sleeves and shorts in Central Wisconsin are over for a long while......and it's going to get worse before it gets better.  :-(  Yesterday was a cloudy, windy 47 degrees.

Cheers All!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,116. Oct 11, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to Snerb)

degregorius Nice gnat-less runnin'

NRDgirl SO proud of you and so proud to know you. A great race report too!

NHLA  I loved the shot of your (trickster) running partner. Thanks for sharing.

Old Coyote Enjoy this crisp beautiful season!

mkayc Your light up cap sound way cool! Funny about the ego101. Be gentle, now.

linuscatch Thanks. Re: my up coming 1/2 marathon.

jmsab23 I think its more about the shoes I'm in than the socks. I'm running in the cool socks Mary Kay recommended but the toes that gets blistered (same toe on each foot) are also the ones with blackened nails. So, I think its the toe box of my shoes. I'll be getting new kicks right after this half marathon. I'm hoping to go to JackRabbits in NYC where they film your pace and how your feet land while running.

HoundMom Welcome back!!

Snerb Remember to foam roll those tight calves! Nice job.

I'm enjoying my taper and shifting from low carb to slightly higher carb diet today, Fri. and Sat. It looks like rain on Sunday for my half marathon...awe well. My goal (and I have to remind myself again too) is to run the half feeling strong, finish feeling good and not get hurt. I'll be slow, probably 3 hours, but I'm OK with that. Especially this first time around. The course looks pretty challenging with plenty of hills. My sis is coming from NYC to cheer me on, she is the best!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,117. Oct 11, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6,66 miles 60 min.  70 was the high today!  Color should be nice at the higher elevations this weekend.

Sandy looks so much like a deer does have come out of the woods twice and snlffed his butt to see if he is a fawn. While I am holding a 7 foot leash. Its so weird he doesn't bark its a maternal vibe I think.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,118. Oct 12, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

HoundMom - Welcome back!

Linus - My marathon is the 21st, same day as RW Half.

MaryKay - A runner I see often has one of those caps. I don't know how much it helps her see, but it makes her visible to cars, and that's the important part.

Easy 5 miles today, 43 degrees, and just a sliver of moon. I'm getting used to the weather.

I have some paradoxical feelings. I'm excited for my full, but I want it to be over! I'm tired, and don't want to get out of bed to run. Once I hit the road I'm good, but getting the initial motivation is hard. Oh, well. 9 days, and then the race, and then I'll take a week off work, gain 5 pounds, and be a bum.

Run free!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,119. Oct 12, 2012 7:37 AM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I just love you guys! Thanks so much for the congratulatory messages. It was truly an unforgetttable experience. I got my Nov Runner's World yesterday and saw all the stories about the NYC Marathon. Now I want to run it! I know it's all about luck with that one though. I've met several people who told me they'd tried 3 years before getting in and that was only from that 3 year rule they discontinued last year. Sheesh! I may have to run that one for charity, which would actually be a great thing.

WebPro: I could totally spot everyone who ran the marathon by the way they walked. We'd just smile at each other and say Congrats. I didn't need to see a medal or shirt, that hobble said it all. lol

NHLA: What's up with you and the 666 distance? LOL I'm so superstitious, I would have kept running until I got to 6.67.

HoundMom: I remember you. I was more active in this forum this time last year as well. Welcome back to the forum and the pavement. Be careful out there. I would have totally freaked out by any animal other than a dog or cat coming up to me on a run.

Melody: Best of luck this weekend!

Old Coyote: You're so gonna kick butt in your Marathon. 26.2, baby! Get it.

I'm thinking about doing a light run this weekend, no more than 3 miles. I'll be back to let you know how it goes.

Best of luck on your runs/races this weekend. I look forward to reading about them.

Happy running.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,120. Oct 12, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

Hello, all.  Hope you are having a great running, tapering or resting week.

Missed my planned runs this week while out of town as I was just down in the dumps and did not feel like running.  Knowing that I needed to get back to it, I went out this morning for a planned easy 6 miles.  After the first mile, I took my usual 4 mile loop but decided to run it the opposite direction, which I had never done before.  Was totally relaxed the whole way at a nice steady pace.  I quickly found myself lost in my thoughts.

I thought about all of you, your accomplishments, your hard work training this year, your PR's and lessons learned.  I thought about all of you who have shared your life changes and challenges, your stories of running with friends or loved one, and some of you who lost friends or loved ones.  And I said a prayer.

As I turned to run into the rising sun, I thought about Avery, a life cut far too short.  And I thought of her parents and said a prayer for them.  I was mesmerized by brilliant autumn colors all around me as the sun rose.  During this stretch it felt like my feet were not even touching the ground as I ran. 

I then thought of a great friend I recently lost in a plane accident.  His name was also Brian, he was my age, he was the "twin" brother I never had.  I never got to say good bye and regretted that the last time we were to have gotten together, I had something come up and had to cancel.  And then I cried.  But I kept running.

The next thought I recall is when I realized that I was singing along to the music I had lightly playing into my headphones.  I am sure the passers by thought I was crazy.

As I finally re-entered my neighborhood and neared my home, my thoughts went back to my friend.  He shouldn't have left so soon.  And I sobbed, but never stopped running.  I ran for him today.

This was a run that I did not want to end...but it had to so I could get back to life.

When the run was over, I realized that I had never looked at my Garmin, never checked my time, my pace or my HR, but had somehow run the entire 6.1 miles at exactly my planned easy pace.  And I realized as I reflected on the previous hour why I choose to run.  I needed this today.

Too many times, I have concerned myself with my pace, my HR, my upcoming race, would I PR, etc.  And yet I was forgetting that running should be fun, it should be therapeutic, it should be enjoyable.  I look forward to more runs like today.  I hope that you too continue to find the joy in your running.

Good luck to all racing this weekend and next.  After all your hard work you will do great.  Think, like NRDgirl did, "I am strong, I am fast".  Can't wait to hear your stories after.

Stay fearless in all that you do.

• noraspberries Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 19, 2011
    4,121. Oct 12, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Mine was AWESOME honestly.
    I started @6:30am and was a little worried because I hadn't eaten very much the night before and thought I might tire too quickly, so I grabed a half a bagel and water ate it before I left thr house and even took a half nature valley bar with me.
    I ran a full square mile (4 miles) and it was great! I kept a steady jogging pace the whole time and the air was perfectly cool and breezy.

I even got honked at  a couple times too lol (which isn't all that swell since they were mostly palm tree cutter trucks that honked)

all in all WONDERFUL RUN!

I didn't even have to pee half way through (which tends to always happen so I either have to hold it or find a bush i can hide behind and squat)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,122. Oct 12, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to noraspberries)

HoundMom - coyotes would make me nervous! unless it's an OldCoyote

Snerb - I can totally empathize with the calf issue.  I love my foam roller and would highly recommend it.

MelodyLea - Good Luck on Sunday!!!!  I hope you have fun. I'll be thinking of you on my Sunday  long run.

OldCoyote you have trained so well your  marathon will be awesome. 

NRDGirl - already thinking about your next marathon - you are amazing. 

linus - your post brought tears to my eyes.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend but am inspired by you and your fearlessness.  be strong my friend.

noraspberries - congrats on the awesome run.

I took Tuesday off, ran 3.1 on Wednesday in the mist (had to keep stopping to clean off my glasses so I could see!), and then 3.5 this morning.  Looking forward to my long run on Sunday but  I'm having trouble getting out of bed lately - it's so cold and dark. 

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,123. Oct 13, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Hello everyone!  I am so inspired by everyone's stories.  What a great forum!

Today I ran 3.75 in 34 minutes with my two dogs on a split leash.  I ran my first half marathon on Sept 16th (in 2:03:07!) and have been taking it very easy since then.  I have been experiencing a twang in my left knee that starts around mile 3.5.  My run today was great - weather was sunny and a cool 50 degrees.  The dogs were happy to be out stretching their legs and so was I. I am glad fall is finally here in SE Pennsylvania.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,124. Oct 13, 2012 2:08 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Francessmom: How old are your shoes? When I've experienced a 'twang' in my knee, it's been related to the wear of my shoes. Congrats on finishing your first half--great time, BTW--and getting back out on the pavement.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...