Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

725 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2012 10:30 PM by brndog RSS
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2012 9:35 AM

Runs & Workouts, Saturday, October 13, 2012

DH, Hope things went well today.

Mike - Had a 5K this morning, was hoping to break the 23:00 minute barrier.  Morning was crisp and cool around 8:00AM this morning.  Wife and son were signed up for the 1/2, but son had some heal issues and decided to step down to the 5K.  He decided that sitting in the son was better then waiting in the shade for the race to start.  We realized that it was too crowded to start at the head of the pack and decided to wait for things to clear out before we started (with chip timing it won't make much difference unless the course is congested).  We let everyone go and waited until everyone had made that first turn and were going to wait a little longer when we saw a crowd of little kids getting ready to walk, so we bolted.  I had a lot of pent up energy, so started a bit quickly and it took a 1/4 mile or so for me to slow down into a good pace.  The course was an out and back that had a bunch of twists and turns, but starts and finishes with a 1/2 to 3/4 mile straight (well after a 50-100yard 90 degree turn).  Son stayed with me until we saw the leaders coming back, I didn't see him again even tho I was looking (guess not well enough).  I hit the turn around at ~11:00 minutes and all I could think was 12 minutes for 1.5 miles should be doable.  The only slope is an overpass over the highway 1/4 mile before and after the turn around.  Tried to push it going up and coming down.  Did the twists and turns before the straight away and was trying to maintain my pace.  Most of the race we'd been passing people and was trying to focus on the next person in front of me to catch, but one guy mid-20's caught me and continued on.  Was picking off little kids and as we neard the finish was trying to catch 2 younger boys, but when they saw the finish they kicked it in pretty good.  I tried to kick, but I lost a bit of ground.  As I crossed the finish stopping the watch I thought it said 23:14 and was a bit disappointed.  Son came up to me and I asked him his time and he said around 21:00 and then I said I finished just over 23 and he said no.  Looked at the watch again and realized it said 22:14!    New PR, I'm pleased.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 13, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Hey Ray, congrats on the PR, that's a great time!  So now I'm curious, is this your first time going under 23 minutes? 

I'm still cross training, 8 miles on the mtn bike in 39:19.  My right foot is what's keeping me on the bike, it's sore and taking its time getting better.

Mike, I was hoping to run a half marathon next weekend, but it's still up in the air because of this foot...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Oct 13, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Ray, congrats on the PR!

Rich, if your foot hurts at all, don't run the half!

Thanks, guys, for your interest in my annual fitness test. My goal today was to run 14:49 or better to get the max score of 100 points for my age group. Conditions were not great: first we had to do all the pushups we could, then we had to do all the situps we could, then we had to stretch out in the frosty grass--temp was about 30 at the start of the fitness test.

Right before the run, I tried to warm up by jogging a lap. My legs felt like sticks of wood--I couldn't even finish the one-lap warmup! I thought, "This is not good," but decided to ignore it and hope for the best.

Then the 2-mile run started and it was a huge mob scene. There were over 100 people running on the track at the same time! On the plus side, the presence of so many people--some of them fast--gave me more energy.

After three slow miserable laps with my elapsed time barely under 6:00 and slipping, I wondered, "Am I even going to break 16:00?"

Then I willed myself to run faster out of shame, and maybe my stiff legs were loosening up. I think I ran faster and faster just about every lap after that, and finished in 14:26 which was a max score by 23 seconds.

Not a great time for me, historically speaking, but at least I met my goal for the day. I'll take it, and move on!

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Oct 13, 2012 4:34 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Congratulations Dark Horse!  I'm thinking if you ran a 7:40 first mile, your second must have been around 6:45.  That's pretty darn quick for an old guy, especially in the cold air.  You did good!

And I won't run the half if my foot is still bothering, it's just not worth the risk.

We had a hard frost this morning as well, the over night low was just 26 degrees.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    5. Oct 13, 2012 10:30 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Wow, what a day for running, with a 5k PR and age group top honors in a fitness test.  Way to go Ray and DH!

I had a good day also, having run 8 miles and felt really good.  Ran the last mile at 9:50, and had a low HR most of the run and could have picked up the pace.  My legs feel great even now.  Maybe there is a little speed improvement left to be had, even if my goal is mainly to enjoy running and not obsess about times.

Sounds like taking it easy or easier is not a bad plan, Rich.  Avoiding serious injury giving up one race is not a bad bargain, if you have doubts going into it.  I have to admit that my judgement in this area is sometimes suspect, but I am getting better at taking a day or a few if the body is trying to tell me something.

My daughter is back in town, having picked her up at the bus stop earlier this evening.  It is pretty incredible the change I already see in her, like making that transition from kid to adult before my very eyes.  Part of my motivation for running is to keep up with the "rug rats." 

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...