Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

866 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 5:02 PM by rcuriel RSS
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2012 4:08 PM

Runs & Workouts, Sunday, October 14, 2012

10.3 miles today in 1:30:00.  Cool and foggy during the run.  Felt comfortable during run, not pushing and not dogging until mile 10 pushed that one a bit in 8:13.  Last .3 was to get to the 1 hour 30 minute mark...

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 14, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Re: Runs & Workouts, Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nice run Ray.  It's neat the way your wife and son are runners too, you guys are a talented trio.

Today was day 4 of riding the bike for me, 6 miles on the railtrail in 29:49.  These rides are nice in that they get me get a little cardio work, but they're no substitute for running.  The fact this foot is slow to heal makes me think I'm dealing with this... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

The over stretching the article describes probably happened a mile into the 5K I ran last weekend.  It was then that the course changed to railtrail for a 1/4 mile and the footing was real soft.  Trying to push off in that stuff, I felt a burn in my right heel that's been sore to walk on ever since.

Anyway, staying active is the best way to recover from these things and that's what I'm up to...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Oct 14, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Ray, good run.

Rich, I hope you don't have plantar fasciitis. I have had it for four years and it shows no sign of going away. I have worn the night boot for four years, gone to orthopedists several times, got orthotics, done stretching, and nothing has cured it. I got it from teaching--standing on my feet all day on those concrete school floors. (They used to call this condition "policeman's foot," because cops on the beat would get it. Nowadays teachers and retail workers get it, and runners of course.) Now that I am not teaching, the pain is somewhat less, but I lost four years of hiking with my boys when they were in high school. That was what we mainly did together for outdoor fun, so it's a real tragedy and those lost years are gone; we will never be able to make them up. Now that I am no longer teaching, I have a slight hope of doing a little hiking next summer with my younger son, who is still at home; he's a high school junior now. Sorry to be a downer about this. Most people get better a lot quicker than I have, so let's hope you are like most people!

Edited to add: On the bright side, the fact that I am no longer teaching means the plantar fasciitis has improved to the point that I can run a bit. The last four years when I was teaching, the pain was continuous and I could hardly ever run. Now I can run, if I ice the heel.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Dec 10, 2007
    3. Oct 15, 2012 5:08 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Dark Horse, I've got all the symptoms, so I'm pretty sure Plantar Faciitis is what I'm dealing with.  At first I thought I'd just bruised my heel and didn't make the connection to the pain I was feeling and the tendon that runs the length of the bottom of my foot.

The good news is it's getting better, but I'm not about to run on it just yet.  I doubt it would help your situation, but I've found that if you can do something that'll increase blood circulation, it helps with recovery.  What you CAN'T do though, is aggravate the injury while you're in the process of getting your heart rate up and that's where riding the bike comes in.  It IS helping, but by their nature tendons are slow to heal and I'm hating it that I can't run, but it's still the best approach.

What a shame having to deal with this for 4 years, you've done well to keep a positive attitude.  With being hobbled with it for the past week or so, I can't imagine 4 years of it.

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Oct 15, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to rcuriel)

I've read that icing is good for the first 48 hours after an injury, then apply heat.  Icing reduces swelling and tissue damage while heat increases blood flow to speed up the healing process.

Inflammation is another culprit we need to keep an eye on.  It's your body attacking its own cells and the root cause of some forms of arthritis. 

As far as my foot is concerned, I've iced it a few times and taken Ibuprofen to knock down the inflammation, but haven't applied heat just yet, I've relied on the bike instead to increase blood flow.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...