Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

941375 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 ... 315 Previous Next
  • girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,455. Oct 12, 2012 7:00 AM (in response to pkar)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

CONGRATULATIONS Half Marathoner Phyllis!   Absolutely loved your race report, esp. reading about raising your arms in victory and dancing at the finish line!  So happy you enjoyed your race.  Wear your medal and post-race glow with pride!  This morning as I shared your post and photos with my 14 yr. old son he said, "That's going to be you one day, Mom."   Thank you Phyllis for the inspiration.

This quote attributed to Dr. Dale Turner came into my inbox this week from RW, and it beautifully states:  "No matter our age or condition there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born."

Run strong, friends!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Phyllis, I continue to be in awe of you and your accomplishments. You are such an inspiration! I repeat....I wanna be like you when I grow up! Oh wait.....you are still a kid too! I love it!!!! You looked strong coming across that finish line in an awesome time!

Jim, welcome back! Like Kathy (Mimi) said, there are several of orignial thread members still around running and posting.

MaryKay, l love the pics from your color run. Tks for sharing.

Debra, what a great quote!

Dan.....countdown to the big day! You will do awesome! We're all pulling for you.

Kathyruns....welcome! Glad to have you join our group. Sounds like you are doing great. Ck the McMillian running site for their calculator. You can plug in your 5k times and it will give you a comparable 10K time and then spit out suggested training paces for various runs. That site also has good info re tempo runs and why to train at a slower pace than racing pace.

Good running to everyone this weekend. Looks like it should be ideal temps!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Phyllis Congratulations on your first HM. Loved the pic.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Phyllis, add my congratulations to everyone else’s – way to go, half-marathoner!

I’m feeling quite accomplished today as I got out and ran 8.3 miles this morning around sunrise, with considerably fewer rest breaks than I’ve gotten into the habit of taking.  The temp was perfect too, now that our overnight lows are dipping into the 60s.  Since I last logged in I got my doctor to refer me to a physical therapist, and I’ve been going in twice a week for massage, exercise, electric stimulation (ooh baby!) and ice.  Turns out that in addition to my QL problems, my lumbar curvature was almost completely gone – my thought is probably due to some things I was doing to “correct” my posture after the original injury. 

So anyway, I’m feeling better day by day with the occasional backslide.  I’m limiting my BodyCombat classes to every other week, since the muay thai moves seem to aggravate my symptoms even when I take them easy.  I did wind up taking the Bikram Yoga classes – Mary Kay, they make us put towels over our mats so we don’t slip!  Bu I don’t  know if I’ll be continuing; the heat makes it pretty intense, especially now that my body has flipped over into “winter” mode!

I finally wrote up my 5K from way back on Labor Day:  http://runningupthat.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/louis-tewanima-footrace-5k-9212

What does everyone have coming up over the next few weekends?  I’m doing my first Warrior Dash in Las Vegas this Saturday – wear myself out during the day, then dinner & a show, sounds like a vacation to me!

Run safe everyone!

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Was reading Greg McMillan's training materials. (thanks Marie) According to his calculator I am often running too fast. Has anyone trained using his method? See any results?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011

Wow Nan! That's an aMazing collection of races!! Past and planned. Arctic???

Just ran a 5k for the second year. Shaved 5+ min of my miserable performance last year but could have done better. Slowed down to run with a friend who I coached this summer. It was her first race in three years and she looked winded. Registered for another in two weeks so I can get that new PR. Next weekend's HM should also be a good time, if nothing major goes wrong. Have been trying to contact Rob but no luck so Rob, if you are reading this, email me your cell # so we can chat or txt?

8.3 on TM in 2 hr to follow McMillan's LSR time for me.

Run strong and fearless out there!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Feb 27, 2011

It's all about the BLING!!!!! We loved "The Windy City". But are happy to be back in the heat & Humidity.

Chicago Marathon 002.JPG

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Dan, Good luck on your upcoming marathon.  Looking forward to the report.

Nancy, nice racer report and congrats on AG finish.  Hope you're healing well.

PKar, nice race!  You are a Half Marathoner now!  Hope to see you soon,  maybe Marsh Madness in a couple weeks in Palo Alto?

Sue, You made it!  So, cool.  Loved the report.

Tony, Congrats to you too!  Nice pic.

Marie, good to hear your foot is better.  Hoping the training is going well.  Thanks for the thoughts on the 10K.

MaryK, Pics were funny.  Sorry about your Reds, oops - no, I'm not  Go Giants! (probably just jinxed them)

Ran my 5K this weekend.  My son wasn't feeling that well so decided to drop down from a half to the 5K.  We saw my wife off on her half and then waited.  We weren't willing to move from our sunny spot into the shaded start area and decided to let the wait for everyone to clear out before we started (thank god for chips).  Morning was cool but very sunny and we were shivering as we walked up to the start line and as the end seemed to clear the first turn we took off.  I had a bit of pent up energy and took off a good clip that I kept going for a 1/4 of a mile, at which I felt I settled into my pace.  The course starts out with a right turn and then 3/4 mile straight before twisting thru an industrial area and crossing over the highway. As we're going over the overpass we see the leaders and my son decides to take off.  I hit the turnaround signalling 1/2 way point.  We had passed up most of the people by this point and I'm focusing just on catching the next person in front of me.  This is working well as I making my way through the reverse twists and turns.  As we get back to the long straight away I get passed by younger guy and notice one that I passed trying to catch back up.  That's ok, I'm just focusing on the kids infront now and starting to feel like I'm working.  The one guy that I'd passed drops back and I lose sight of the one that passed me.  We're getting close to the finish and I've been gaining on a couple of 12/13 y/o but when they see the finish they hit the after burners.  I try, but mine don't work (at least not as well).  I finish and my lungs start to burn.  I look at my watch and think it says 23:14.  Son come up to me and says he finished in ~21 and I tell him I got 23:14 and he says closer to 22.  Look back at my watch and it does say 22:14!  New PR for me.  Checked our finishes later we both got 5th in our age groups, he was 11th overall and I finished 25th.  There were 600 finishers in the 5K, so we must have passed close to 550 of them.  Dropped my son back at home so he could get to his class and then headed back to see my wife finish (2nd in age group for the half).  Pretty nice day.

Run strong.

Ray

Jun 8, 2011

Tony, loved ur pic!!

Ray, watching game2. Would feel better if they had fixed the blown call but doubt it would have made a difference in the result.

Loved your race rpt! Great job! Awesome, awesome time!!! Good day!

Been trying to console a running friend who probably has an Achilles pull and hasn't been able to run for a week. He was training for the USMC marathon on 10/28. I feel bad for him bc I don't see this healing in a week. Feeling so lucky right now I may not run again until Sunday.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Sorry for the prolonged absence from the group.  I have not done much running in the last two weeks due to my allergies which make it very hard to breathe after only two or three miles.  I've been doing treadmill hill work at the health club.  The congestion is gradually subsiding, but I have to be sure I have lots of tissues with me this weekend at the Des Moines Marathon.  It will be our second visit with our granddaughter (first was when she was 10 days old), so we'll get new pictures.

Phyllis, let me add my congratulations to the others.  You have done what only an infinitesimally small number of people have done.  Wear that medal proudly.  I want to be like you.

Tony, I'm glad you enjoyed your Chicago experience.  Come back next year.

Nan, good luck at the Warrior Dash.  Get a picture of yourself after you finish so we can see you caked in mud and dirt.

Good luck to all who are racing this weekend.  This is a great time of year to be a runner in the Midwest.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Aug 2, 2010

Steve~It's great you are able to TM run inside when the allergies are at their worst.  I'm predicting a fast time at your HM in Des Moines.  It will mean more time to spend with your lovely grandaughter!

Mary Kay~WTG! chopping 5+ minutes off your 5k time from last year.  All the best this weekend at your HM in Columbus - you have been a HM machine this year!

Ray~You are smokin' fast!  Congrats on a great race with a fantastic AG and OV finish.  Just had to giggle about the 12/13 year olds at the finish - sounds like the kids I help coach! 

Tony~Loved the photo.  So how does it feel up on marathon cloud 9?

Nan~Happy to read your are getting stronger and the PT session are helping.  Always enjoy reading your race reports.  Run strong, and have a blast in Vegas!

Marie~Thanks for sharing the info on McMillian, going to check it out.

Kathyruns~Welcome aboard, glad to have you here!

Jim, degregorius~Happy to have you return!

Dan~Hope you are enjoying your taper. It looks like the weather is going to be wonderful for you first full marathon!   You will be on eagles' wings, friend!

Had a great 3 mile run today on the bike path. Many leaves are down, but still some great color out there.  Ran a very soggy 8 miles on Sunday.   Has anyone found a water-proof jacket that IS water-proof, but breathable?  I thought mine was, but I was soaked to the bone! 

This weekend I'm running a hilly 10k to benefit Alzheimer's research.  To keep running through the winter, I've signed up for a six race series each month from November to March.

Run strong, friends!

Feb 27, 2011

DAN IT ALL ABOUT YOU THIS WEEK. YOUR READY AND RUNNING FOR A REASON.

Be safe and enjoy every minute. Looking forward to your report.

Steve Looking forward to your race report along with an update on the grand baby. ENJOY

Ray That is a great race you had.............

Mkay Don't do anything crazy this weekend. Just run your plan. Can't wait to hear ALL about it.

Nan I have a warrior dash on my to do list for 2013. Need to hear all the details. Good Luck

Debra & Mkay. thanks about the pic. Thats what an old guy looks like after running for 5 hours and five seconds later has a mylar blanket wrapped around him, a medal put on his neck, and a picture taken all before a bottle of water LOL

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra- That's an ambitious winter schedule!  Are those all in the Milwaukee area?  I've been looking at waterproof jackets but haven't decided on anything yet.  Let me know if you get a good one.  You are right, the weather looks about ideal for Sunday!!

Tony- Thanks so much for your support and encouragement!  The excitement is starting to build.

DW has come down with a bad cold; I'm praying I don't get it before the race! 

To all the Mighty Masters- Thank you all for your incredible support as I've prepared for this marathon!  Your encouragment and words of wisdom have been a huge help to me!!  I hope to bring back a good report and some nice pics next week!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• lmcgill Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012

I must have had a midlife crisis; went to nursing school in my late 40s. Nothing like spending time in a hospital to convince you to really take care of yourself. For my 50th birthday last year did my first Olympic triathlon, and I am running a first ever half marathon in Dec. on my 51st birthday. Am starting to get a little iffy in my left knee.Was doing ok til I set a PR in a 5K last weekend. Have been doing knee strengthening exercises, ice baths after long/hard runs, take glucosamine, keep in good shoes, etc. Any other helpful tips to stay sound ? If I like the half I may want to attempt a full marathon next spring, but I guess it depends on staying free of injury and relatively pain free.

Aug 2, 2010

Dan~You are ready, and your marathon is going to be great!  Most likely you will come down with the cold after your race, just keep hydrated and get lots of rest.  Not that you want to be thinking about any other races this week, but the Winter Running Series http://www.greatlakesrunningseries.com/ is so much fun.  Many of the races are in the western suburbs, not too far of a drive for you.  The races kept me motivated and training through the winter months for my May HM.  Granted, it was a VERY mild winter last year, but the races are well run, great tech t-shirts and benefit childhood cancer research.  Let me know if you sign up for one, it would be great to meet!  Run strong!

lmcgill~Welcome, and congratulations on everything you have achieved!  Could the knee pain be associated with your IT band?  Is the pain on the outside of the knee?  Many on this thread have had issues with the ITB when racking up the miles.  I use a high density foam roller and gentle, static stretches to help mine.  You may want to post your question over on The Med Tent thread.  Always lots of good information and reading over there.  All the best on training for your first half marathon, and keep us updated on your progress.

Ran a slow easy 3 miles today.  After this weekend's 10k, I'd like to begin implementing speedwork into my training.  I have done some, but not as a regular part of my routine.  Lucky to have 2 high school tracks and the indoor track available nearby.  Any suggestions, advice about starting speedwork?

Run strong, friends!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...