Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

786 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 3:08 PM by rcuriel RSS
BradGhost Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2012 11:47 AM

Running for 6 weeks and going nowhere

Hey all, recently got back into running after a year out and going strong! The only problem is I don't seem to be going anywhere! I keep having to repeat weeks and I don't feel any fitter the second time round. I use Runkeeper, can anyone tell me if I'm doing bad/average/good looking at my running results?

http://runkeeper.com/user/bradghost/activity/124618020

EDIT: New link, old one only shows 1 run -> http://runkeeper.com/user/bradghost/profile

ps. I'm currently TRYING to run alongside week 4.

If you think I'm doing bad can you lend us a few tips to improve my runs? One thing I would say is that I suffer really badly from shin splints even though I have extra padded running trainers. It doesn't seem to be going away.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 15, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to BradGhost)
    Running for 6 weeks and going nowhere

Your workouts all look pretty similar.  You probably want to mix it up a bit.  IIRC your runs are just under 3 miles.  What is your goal?

In general I would say you want to do 1 longer run a week.  Some speed work and some recovery runs.  Example: Monday recovery run

2-3 miles @ 9:00m/mi pace. Tuesday 1/4 mile repeats at 6:00m/mi pace x 4-8. Wednesday 30 minute tempo run (1 mi warm up, 2 mile @ 7:30-7:45m/mi pace, 1 mi cool down). Thursday recovery run 3 mi. Friday rest.  Saturday easy run 2-3 miles @8-9m/mi.  Sunday 5 mile run, 3 mi @ 8-9min, 2 m @ 7:30-8:00m/mi.  Every 2 weeks use your Saturday to do 3 miles at race pace.  Think something like that would get you in shape to run a sub 23:00 minute 5K.  Your times look like you could easily do a sub 20 5K, but you probably want to increase mileage first.  Rest days and recovery runs are important, and longer slower runs are more beneficial then you think.

Good Luck.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...