Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49344 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 Previous Next
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Oct 13, 2012 9:06 AM (in response to maureen0131)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Maureen and Greeney Beeney -  I started having knee pain at week 3.  A kind of aching pain that did go away the next day until I ran or walked again.   PT said it was strain from trying to do too much in to short a time. I was either walking or doing my program everyday.  So I backedoff as she suggested to only running the program 3 days a week and working upper body and abs the other days or swimming , nothing that involved walking running or squats no stress on the knees.  It took a week but my knees are now better. 

I have also invested in the co that makes the icyhot patch :-)  with what I go through I figure it's a good investment.

Maureen if you have a costco where you live they have the "cool" black gloves for 15$ rather than the 30+ I found at the running stores.

Dec 14, 2007
    121. Oct 14, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Did another day of week 4 but challenged myself by running a really steep hill on the 1/2 mi run and I'm happy to say I made it!!!  woohoo. I'm sure my cool new running hat to keep my hair out of my face had a lot to do with it :-) . Feel really confident to move onto week5 and I'm excited to run with the c25k group tues eve.    Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    122. Oct 15, 2012 8:20 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Wow, good job, almightD!  There is no way I could manage even a bump, let alone a steep hill.

Finished W6D1 today.  I didn't really follow the plan for today.  Instead I ran 2 1/8 miles.  I have found that once I get a pace going, it's much harder for me to stop and then run again than it is to just do the entire run and then take a much needed break. 

• Raynarunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    123. Oct 15, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I am happy to see people are kind of all over in when they began c25k.  I wasn't sure this was the right place to be.  I have never ever been a runner.  In fact I really don't like running at all but their are a few reasons I have now to want to lose weight and get in shape.  I have a wedding in two years and I would like to do something called the Tough Mudder next year. 

It seems almost everyone who has posted has either done this program in the past or used to be a runner.  I'm a little afraid since i have never been a runner and have never tried this program before I am going to have a tough time.  I am 30, 175 lbs and 5'6" so definitely overweight.  

I am going to be starting week 3 tonight and am very nervous about it.  Last week was not good at all.  w2d1 was okay but w2d2 was horrid.  I'm wondering if some people maybe change the program a little and do each of the "weekly" programs for two weeks instead?  I don't know that I am going to be able to keep up with the week 3 program and thought Maybe I'd just do week two again. Jog for 3 minutes??!! yikes!  

Anyone else having trouble keeping up with the program?

I'm very glad to have found this forum, I didn't realize their was anything like it!

Way to go everyone!

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    124. Oct 15, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to Raynarunner)

Oh man, I feel SO GREAT!!!

I started W3D1 today, and I was scared. Three minutes of running!!??!  When I first started the c25k, I noticed how hard it was, and how I was panting and my lungs were on fire. I hated it. What I learned was that I was running wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to fast and hard, and was not controlling my breathing at all. I've been practicing belly breathing, through my nose only. When I run, if I get to where I HAVE to pant, I know I'm overdoing it, and I ease it back. Problem solved!

A little about me:

I'm 35, I quit a 23 year smoking addiction 5 weeks ago. I started this program the first week of October. So today, I was so scared of the three minute run. But man, oh man! I did it!!! It's the first time I was running with a SMILE on my face since I started. On the last 3 minute interval, I was so proud of myself, I almost cried. The first 3 minute interval was hard, and I just kept telling myself, YOU WONT DIE, just make it to that fence, just make it to that sign, just make it to that curb.....and I did it. The way home was a joy. I can't wait for my next day.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    125. Oct 15, 2012 9:55 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I am bummed...I missed c25k for the first time this morning.  It was supposed to be w4d2.  I didn't even go walk like I usually do on my in between days.  I got up with my alarm and was all set to get ready and head out when the rockets started coming in and sirens started going off so it was back in bed for me for a few.  This is the first morning I haven't run or walked for about a month so it's probably not a bad idea to take a day off and I'll move on and get w4d2 tomorrow morning (I hope).

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    126. Oct 16, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to Raynarunner)

Raynarunner- I definitely wasn't under the impression that everyone here was a runner before. But even if they were, I don't think it is a prerequisite- thats why its called COUCH to 5k! haha. And yesss yes yes definitely repeat a day or a week until you feel comfortable moving forward. Obviously, push yourself within reason, from what I have read, it is definitely suggested to repeat days. Idk how much you have read of this thread but I have been having all sorts of aches and pains... and my body has thanked me when I take a day or two off or slow down a bit while running. What I have learned is that the slower you ease into this, the more likely you are to not get injured and keep going with it.

I was thinking the other day that if I could do this whole thing over from the beginning, I would add two weeks to the beginning of the program- 1 week of 30min walking (3x that week), and then a week of running 30 seconds, walking 90 seconds (3x that week). Just to ease into it a little more!! Because if you really are coming from the couch (or a super sedentary job like I was), you arent used to 'pounding the pavement.'

Maripossa- Good job! You are quite the inspiration!

Jeb- You have been walking or running in THE MORNING... EVERY DAY??? Holy crow.. you deserved the break! On my off days I lay around on the couch and watch Honey Boo Boo! lol... just kidding about the honey boo boo.. well.. sometimes...

As for me, I completed W4D3 yesterday! Not my best day, to be honest. This little kid came over to pet my dog right before my last 5min run, so that kinda screwed me up. I ran the whole 5 minutes though. I was really huffing and puffing at the end and hardly moving at all. That's interesting Maripossa, about breathing through the nose. Is that what you are supposed to do? I feel like it is much more difficult than through the mouth.

Even though I say this every week about the next week.. I gotta say.. Week 5 looks difficult!!! 8 minutes of straight running... and then... 20 MINUTES?!!!! Whew..

Oct 15, 2012
    127. Oct 16, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Thanks for the encouragement greenybeany.  I did notice that you had some aches and pains when you were starting.  I know a lot of people probably do and I was a little worried about my knees. When I think about it though I would imagine since I am overweight AND have a desk job I'm pretty sure they are just weak.  I try to do at least a little stair running when I am done with my jog/walk to try to strengthen my knees a little more.

My other issue is my shins.  Ouchy!  I know shin splints can be a concern for people just starting so I think maybe I'll try wrapping my shins the next time I go.  I understand that is supposed to really help.  Not feeling like I can really jog any slower without speed walking!  Breathing is feeling good so that's a huge plus.

Question for anyone out there.  Does anyone run on the balls of their feet?  I understand this is the new fad out thre and they are finding it is easier on people's joints by doing this.  I think it may have started with the use of those shoes with toes since they don't have much padding on the bottom to obsorb impact.   I've tried it but since I'm not used to it it would certainly take some getting used to.

Anyone tried this or run this way?

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    128. Oct 16, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to Raynarunner)

The people at Fleet Feet told me that I heel-strike. They also told me that i overpronate so i need extra support. So I bought inserts for the really bulkey, padded shoes that they sold me. Then I got home and started searching the internet about these things... only to come upon the whole barefoot/minimal vs regular shoes debate. Some people say that big chunky supportive shoes cause you to heel-strike, which can cause injury, so they say to go barefoot or use minimal shoes so that your body does what it does naturally- lands on your mid-foot. GAH so yeah, I've been freaking out about this whole thing. Did I just spend $170 on stupid shoes and inserts? Should I have gone with the flashy new trendy minimalist shoes??

A few articles I read online made me feel a little better... they said that if you are going to use a minimal shoe that you should transition to it slowly. Now I figure, okay, I will start out with these cusion-y things since I am a new runner and don't have all the muscles in the right places... then in maybe a year or so I can go to a flatter shoe,  and then a year or so after that to a more minimalist shoe?? IDK. I guess it is a huge debate right now in the running community. If anyone knows anything about this, please share!

Oct 3, 2012
    129. Oct 16, 2012 11:28 AM (in response to greenybeany)

Heya Greeny, thanks for the encouragement!

If I recall correctly, I read an article that said if you are panting through an open mouth, you are exerting yourself way too hard. Something about mouth breathing setting off a whole physiological chain of events in your lungs. Further, inhaling through the nose humidifies and warms the air much more efficiently than through your mouth, and I live in the Northeast. The cold air HURTS, lol.

It IS much "easier" to breathe through the mouth when running, but I really stayed focused on ONLY allowing myself to breathe through my nose. I believe the article said you can exhale through the mouth, but I just use my nose for both. I noticed immediately the difference. I HAD to go slower, but focusing on my breathing really took my mind off running. My lungs did not hurt at all anymore. Just like anything else, I am getting used to it and can now run a little faster just nose breathing. I noticed yesterday a couple of times I was aching to start panting through my mouth.....going too hard! I dialed it back, and everything went back to normal.

It's also hard to get into the habit of belly breathing. I notice I want to take deep "chestfuls" of air when I am exerting myself. But that is inefficient and does not oxegenate your blood the way belly breathing does. So what I do when I feel myself "chest breathing" is I put a hand on my belly as I run or walk, and focus on pushing that hand out when I inhale, and having it sink down as I exhale.

Hope some of that helps! I'll see if I can find the original article I was reading

• cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012
    130. Oct 16, 2012 1:01 PM (in response to greenybeany)

i have to agree.  i have never ran before and just did week 1 last week. i was a little sore so i took off 3 days and started week 2 today.  it helps to take a day off or 2 to get past a few aches and pains.   Keep at it and im sure we all will be doing 5k's next summer

Oct 3, 2012
    131. Oct 16, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to greenybeany)

ok, I found an article about what I was talking about. It may be just for cold weather, I'm not sure. It sure helped me out a ton!

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Breathe-When-Running-19967835

• cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012
    132. Oct 16, 2012 4:12 PM (in response to Maripossa24)

maripossa24 cant you just wear a mask during winter so you dont breath in the cold air? this will be my first winter so just curious. 

Dec 14, 2007
    133. Oct 16, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to Raynarunner)

Raynarunner  welcome!!   And I have never ran before in my life and I'm 48,  5'11" but are you ready for this 300lbs, yep not a typo :-)  I had to repeat week 1 for 3 weeks before I could go on Now on week 5 and I'm slow but I finish and feel a little more like a runner everyday.  Take it at your own pace all you need to do is finish noone here cares how fast you go.

Well now for my day, I joined a C2K5 "class" put on by my local parks and rec. thought the coaching  would be helpfull.  Most depressing run  ever!  First all of them are past runners who are justgetting back into it and all of them are about 80lbs soaking wet.  I was so slow compared to all of them the instructor lost me , luckily I know the area so I payed 90$ to run at night by myself. when the instructor finally found me (back at the place we started) they were all done and she told me she had to go and to skip the last run. So i just turned around and finished it on my own. I may be slow but I never quit!!!!!    Boy I can't wait until next tues......NNoooooooot!   Going to finish the whole class because I'm sure they are hoping I wont  :-)   yep love to spin them up!

thurs back to my regular route and my regular running buddy  My 4 year old!  I like her better even if she does beat me :-)

Oct 15, 2012
    134. Oct 16, 2012 10:05 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I do appologize to anyone that I am making repeat him/herself on here.  As I slowly get to all the past posts I see a lot of this advice has already been given so I really appreciate you all taking the time to repeat yourselves!

Greenbeany you are a wonderfully encouraging person!  I think for now I am going to stick with regular shoes as well.  What I read about the Vibrams sounds about the same as what you read, they are more for advanced runners.  I wasn't sure even where to start to get someone to analyze my step but since you mentioned Fleet Feet I discovered one is near me!  Yay!  I'll have to go check them out.

Maripossa24 Great things to find out about breathing.  Things I never really thought about.  Since my breathing is ok I'll have to concentrate more on that and see if I can do more deep breathing.  Thank you for sharing that website!

almightyD  Thank you for your encouragement as well.  And good for you!!!  Way to stick with it and stick it to em!

cheeseheads86 I haven't been keeping strictly with the schedule and you are right. taking an extra day or two does seem to help. Actually right when I started the program I hadn't read in depth and was using an app on my phone.  I thought I would need to be running like 5 days a week and was super excited when i realized I wouldn't have to.  Woohoo!   Love the screen name by the way

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...