Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

520 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 10:17 PM by crl8686 RSS
JacobSmalley Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2012 7:13 PM

General Running Question.

Hello, I am not so much new to running as I am new to Active.com and its paid membership. However, I have a question. I used my American Express to sign up for membership with Active.com. There is a race coming up I would like to be a part of, but there is no option to pay with American Express, only Visa and Mastercard....

Am I missing something? Not really in a position to use any other form of pmt as the run is getting close and what not...

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 16, 2012 10:17 PM (in response to JacobSmalley)
    General Running Question.

You're not missing anything. I've seen occasional races that take Visa/MC but not AX. It is up to the race director what forms of payment they wish to accept, and that gets translated into what Active.com will allow for that race. There is generally a few percent surcharge for the privilege of using a credit card, which is usually absorbed by the merchant (in this case the race director). Since the surcharge is often higher for American Express, some race directors will not accept it.

There are two common alternatives to using a credit card: Most races have an option to pay by check if you send a paper application in the snail mail. Often you can also register either on race morning or at the pre-race expo (if there is one) and pay cash.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points