Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739741 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 ... 327 Previous Next
  • justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,140. Oct 14, 2012 6:27 PM (in response to MelodyLea)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea-  Whoooot!! Way to go lady!!  Great time with all those hills.  Loved the pics. 

OC- you are right about the scenery.  Some of this run will be along the Wisconsin River and state wildlife area next to it.

Very, very glad the Honky Tonk marathon is next Sunday and not today.  Rain all day yesterday and today.   Current forecast for next weekend is cool & dry!

Run strong and safe.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,141. Oct 14, 2012 10:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

4 miles 29 min.

Mel is billy goat tough.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    4,142. Oct 14, 2012 10:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well... it has been a long time since I posted something.  Since my last real run (the Frederick 1/2 and 5K race in Maryland), I have started a new job at night, started taking classes full time in addition to family duties.  I was scheduled to run a full marathon this past Saturday in Baltimore, MD but realized that was not realistic.  Since I already payed for the run... I downgraded to a 1/2 marathon and told my wife to expect me in about 3hrs 15 min (15 min / mile).

With that said, I did everything you are not supposed to do before a race:  1)  I did not get any real training in.  I do not count 1 run in August and 1 here in September before the run.  2)  I had to buy new shoes so the 1 run I got in September was 4 miles in the new shoes and that was it for breaking them in.  3) I did not get to bed at a good time.  I had to work the night before and was in bed by 11:45 and up by 4:15 to head down to Baltimore.  4)  Fueling/ Water before the race- the night before, again, nothing proper.  In the morning it was too early so I had a smoothie and then a bagel before the race started.

I set myself up to fail.  So, I told my wife and kids to have fun at the festival... enjoy the sites and I will do the same.  I figured I should be able to finish it with a 15min / mile pace and I took a cell phone with me to text her my progress and take pictures along the way.  I got 9 photos and sent texts every mile I completed.  The problem?  I did not follow my running plan.  I am competative in nature and pushed myself.

The first mile was finished in 9:10, 2nd mile in 9:30.  At 6 miles, I was at 58 min +/- and then at mile 10, I was still ahead of the pace of 10min / mile.  The last 2 miles of the race are down hill (I forgot to mention the first 7 or 8 miles were pretty much up hill.) and it actually caused problems.  My knee gave me issues about a mile from the finish and I had to walk a couple of times in the past mile due to the knee. 

When it was all said and done, I finished in 2:15:10.  Considering this was my 3rd 1/2 marathon, I did not get a PR, but came close (PR was in May in Frederick).  The race was fun and the crowds were motivating.

Funny/ weird / good and not so good things?:

1) The girl at mile marker 8 with a large sign saying "Free Sex and Beer after the race".  She was very attractive and got a lot of comments from the male runners that I heard while passing her.

2)  The cones in the middle of the road caused problems.  More than 1 person tripped over them not knowing they were there.

3)  The bannana at mile 7 was a God Send!  The beer around mile 9 was a nice bonus from one of the spectators.

4)  The old guy walking down the road while runners tried to hop/ run around him.  That was not the funny part - it was the fact he was pushing a lawnmower and trimmer right in the middle of the course. 

5)  The finish line was awesome and having my girls at the finish line was absolutely wonderful.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,143. Oct 15, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

ericd:  nice job on the HM!  Pretty amazing time, especially given the limited training and prep.

nhla:  re: "mel is billy goat tough"...takes one to know one!  Great weekly mileage, again!

justrundan:  Wow, what a year you have been through.  And awesome of you to dedicate your race to all of them.  I am sure it will be very special for you when you cross that finish line that you have worked so hard for.  Best of luck to you, and can't wait to hear your race report.

debm:  nice job on the long run...the tough ones are the best for you.  You will be ready come race day!

melodylea:  what can I say, but WHOOOT!  Awesome job on your HM!  you really trained hard so no surprise that you exceeded your expectations.  And thanks for sharing the pics.  Any thoughts yet on the next one?

igotwings:  just a casual 20 miler, huh?  wow, very impressive!

coyote:  hope you are enjoying the taper!  nice 13 miler, and great report.  The colors are so brilliant here right now.  Sorry I won't be able to come to your race as I will be in PA for mine.  After all your hard work this year, there is no doubt you will kill it!  Any chance you will do the Turkey Trot at Wash Park on T-Day?

putthatasstowork:  welcome back to the running world and the group!

jmsab:  continued good work on the TM.  Did you get yours working or still using the one at work?  I have such a hard time running on a TM that if weather isn't good I usually skip.

Any update on Caleb?  I think about him all the time.

francessmom:  Grats on the HM!  Nice time too!  How was the course?  I am from Philly so am thinking about coming back out there next year for my first FM and heard that it is pretty flat. Good luck with the knee.

nrdgirl and webpro:  hope you are enjoying some rest time after Chicago.  My neighbor did it also and she is still very sore.

snerb:  LOL, re:walking down the steps backwards!  Been there, done that!  I must not be stretching them correctly because my calves and achilles are always tight too.

houndmom:  welcome back to running and to the group.  Nice job on the 6.45 miles

mkayc:  Can't even bring myself to think about the colossal meltdown by the Reds.  So disappointing after such a great year.  Funny story about your track work episode.  Don't have any idea what you are talking about when you refer to male ego???  LOL.

oshcat:  where are you?  Hope everything is OK.

Had two more really rewarding runs in last couple of days.  7 miles at medium hard effort on Saturday and 4 miles really easy and slow yesterday.  Both times again got completely lost in my thoughts.  And enjoyed the natural beauty at this time of year in CO with brilliant colors and snow capped peaks of the Rockies.  Finally starting to feel some bounce in my step after the HM...didn't realize how much it took out of me.

This is taper week, so will follow the original taper plan and head to PA for some time with friends and family before race on Sunday.  Hopig for good weather.  Have decided I am not going with any specific goals in mind, other than running a little easier and enjoying the sights, sounds and race experience.

Have a great running week, all, and be fearless in all that you do.

• HoundMom Amateur 32 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4,144. Oct 15, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

First off, I wanted to say thank you for all you guys who welcomed me back after my time away. It's nice to be back. Well, I just finished 4.71 miles this morning. No coyotes...yay! It felt ok, but I didn't push it much. I'm having a hard time breaking out of my comfort pace. Still, I'm new getting back out on the road, so I going to chalk it up for a win to for getting up off the couch. I'm going to sign up for my running event in over a year...a HM next month. I'm really doing it just to finish and get motivated to train some more. My goal for this one, is to finish is less time than my last one. I'm really motivated by several of your posting out there. Keep up the good work everyone. Stay safe and strong out there. Happy running!

Disneyland Half Marathon - 9/4/11 - 2:45:28 *first race completed...yay!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,145. Oct 15, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to HoundMom)

Debm2011 Thanks Deb! 12.11 will work and I agree, those tough runs are the best preparation for the race.

justrundan Thank you! Fingers crossed you get that clear cool sunny day for your marathon.

NHLA "...billy goat tough." <~ That is quite a honor coming from you!!

Ericd3043 What a great race considering you were unprepared.

linuscatch Thanks!! Love all your great support. Re: "Any thoughts yet on the next one?" Yep, the Maine Half in Sept. 2013. I'd register right now, but its not open yet!

HoundMom Good job jumping right back in!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,146. Oct 15, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did 30 minutes on the bike last night and my weights/core workout. Tonight was speed workout on TM at work. Two mile warmup (16:17), then 6 x 400 @ 5k pace (200 jogs), then 3 x 800 @ 5k pace (200 jogs), then .5 mile cooldown.

Linus.... Yes, using TM at work. I thought of calling local gyms to see who does service calls for TMs. Maybe I could just get mine fixed for low $$$, instead of junking it and spending a lot.      We were out with friends who know Caleb's family the other night. He has been to Boston a couple times for care, besides the local treatments he's gotten here. The cancer is aggressive. The "behind the eye" part is just one area of it. It has spread to other parts of his body, too.   He gets tired easily, but he still has a good outlook. That was what they knew for recent updates.

NHLA.... I would have thought you'd pick a tough, 4WD, good mileage, all-terrain vehicle...... like you!

Melody.... SO happy for you!!! Big congrats!!!

JustRunDan.... Sending good vibes your way for your 1/2. Best of luck!!

Coyote.... If you're running 13 miles during a taper week, I think you're READY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good running, people.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,147. Oct 15, 2012 10:58 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.66 miles 48 min Working up to 80mpw for marathon. Old school.

houndmom you have to come run coon dog day in Saluda NC

• HoundMom Amateur 32 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4,148. Oct 16, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MelodyLea: Way to go on your HM. Happy to hear you felt strong at the finish. Loved all the Pics. You certainly don't look your age and the course was beautiful. Glad you had a good time.

Old Coyote: Happy training for your upcoming full this weekend. Finish strong!

NRDgirl: You must be really proud of completing your first Full. That quite and accomplishment. Hopefully I'll know what that feels like someday. Congrats!!

Linuscatch: Nothing better than going for a run and getting lost in though surrounded by God's beautiful handiwork. Love colorful autumn leaves.

Ericd3043: Nice job on finishing the HM with such a great time. Don't forget to enjoy the journey, not just the finish.

NHLA: I had to laugh at your run in with the deer. What type of dog do you have? My dog doesn't bark at the coyotes either. Guess they have some unspoken language that we just don't share. As for Coon Dog Day in Saluda NC...I had no idea. I'd LOVE to go but I'll have to celebrate with my own Walker Coonhound here in CA for the time being. I'll be back in school starting in Jan 2013. Maybe in a couple of years we'll make it back there for the festivities. Sounds fun!

Disneyland Half Marathon - 9/4/11 - 2:45:28 *first race completed...yay!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,149. Oct 16, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to HoundMom)

I did 5 miles today in 45:20 without my dogs. Weather was perfect, sunny breezy and 56 degrees. I felt great until 4.5 mile when my left knee twanged again.  It is a stuffiness on the outside lower aspect of my knee cap.   It reminds me of the feeling when you need to crack your knuckles. My dogs guilted me into a 1.5 mile walk afterwards. ?No problem when walking.  My biggest issue besides the knee is motivation.  If I don't have a race or event to train for I lose my drive.  My weekends are booked until after Thanksgiving, so I haven't been able to sign up for anything.  What gets you motivated when you don't have an impending race?

Melody and Eric - Awesome stories about your 1/2s. I did the Phila 1/2 because the course was very flat.  I am not a fan of hills especially at the end of a race or run.  LOved the pictures.  I got emotional at the start of my 1/2. Great job!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,150. Oct 16, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to Francessmom)

jmsab23 Nice couple of runs and core work. Thanks, re:my 1st Half.

NHLA  What Marathon are you aiming for?

HoundMom Thanks so much! Re: "You certainly don't look your age"

Francessmom Thanks, re: my 1/2! I'm no expert, BUT I just got a handle on some knee pain that was a result of IT Band issues. The pain was right where you describe and I conquered it with a foam roller and frequent stretching. I invented a few stretches but also used several I found on the net. Google IT Band stretches.

I caught a head cold, boo hoo. Better now than a week ago though, so it's all good. Sniff sniff

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    4,151. Oct 16, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 54 min. Ran to lake oseola to watch a european curved staircase being made. Houses in Hollald are small and tall so the staircase can't take up much room. They curve the stairway so there is no landing. Only takes uo 40".

Mel I'm not sure looking at Savanna & Charlotte.

HoundMom he is a fawn Italian greyhound.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,152. Oct 16, 2012 10:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.66 miles 50 min. Night run.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,153. Oct 17, 2012 5:33 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

2 mile warmup, 2 at 8:00 pace, 1.5 cooldown. Pitch black morning, 50 degrees, breezy.

4 days to go.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,154. Oct 17, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melody - Excellent HM.  Congratulations, that HAS to feel rewarding.

6.25 yesterday at a 9:15 pace, felt slow and heavy.  57 degrees, cloudy and windy, thought it was going to rain a few times but it held off.

Cheers All!!!  Run strong.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...