Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3744 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 9:33 AM by jeb6294
NB02740 Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2012 1:45 PM

Big Difference from W3 to W4

Background Info: 39, 5' 11", 230lbs.  Lost 30lbs last year with diet and exercise, but gained 10lbs recently.

I think the jump to week 4 from week 3 is huge.  I am suppose to start week 4 tomorrow and I am scared to death.  I can't imagine running 3 minutes, then 5 minutes.  My wife hates me because I am so negative toward myself lol.  We go together because she wants to lose a few pounds and wants to do a 5k.  My worst day was W2D2, but my best day so far was W2D3.  It was so weird.  I think I had my breathing perfect that day.  On my last jog of the training, I fully sprinted and I actually felt great.  Week 3 really kicked my butt.  It felt like I was starting for the first time.  I am very lucky that I have zero pain or soreness when I run, so I can't use that as an excuse.

I read through some of these threads and started feeling good about myself.  It's just a mind game at this point.  I just have to concentrate on breathing correctly and take nice strides. 

Was week 4 a shocker to most people too?

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    1. Sep 18, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to NB02740)

I'm far from an expert...I did C25K...Just try what each week says.  You will be surprised at how well you will do.

If you don't do EXACTLY what the plan says, try it again.....just adjust that day.  If 3 min running the 5 min is too much, do what you can....just keep going.  Then, try it again....you will get there...and it WILL be awesome.

Good for you for not getting hurt...very easy to do when new.  Keep moving, keep working...you are doing great!

• essme2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2012
    3. Sep 21, 2012 12:13 PM (in response to NB02740)

I just did my first workout for week 4 on Wednesday. I was dreading the 5 minute jogs but they weren't that bad. I felt pretty good afterwards. I still go very slow during the jog part, but at least I'm moving in a somewhat "jog".

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    4. Sep 22, 2012 2:22 AM (in response to NB02740)

Try not to look ahead... especially next week. 

You can always repeat a day or a week. 

If you feel like you can't go for 5 minutes, try jogging more slowly. 

When I was at the point you are at, someone encouraged me by telling me that once you can run a mile, you can just keep going... I'm not sure exactly how true that was, but I was like you, 3 minutes seemed like forever, 5 seemed impossible.  His encouragement gave me hope.

I had entered a 5K for my daughter's school, which was the end of week 5,  I jogged the whole thing, granted the last 1/2 mile it was more of a shuffle than a jog, but is amazing how quickly you can progress after week 3.  Just remember to keep the pace slow.  Once you get the distance you can work on speed.  (I'm still incredibly slow.)

Good luck!

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    6. Sep 23, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to NB02740)

Sounds like you are doing great. It's amazing what you can do when you try. Even if you don't believe you can. Honestly I've been doing the whole program with the idea that I can't do this day, but I do as much of it as I can. Half my jogs have been done with I'm going to have to quit but I can make it to that spot up ahead before I do. Then I pick another spot once I make it to the one I thought I'd be toast at and before I know it I've added minutes (up to 10 mintues) to my time when I thought I was done. I can't say it works every single time but more often than not. Today what worked for awhile was "There's a really fit guy running toward me and I'm not going to stop in front of him... Don't fall down, don't fall down, don't fall down and make him laugh any more than is going to seeing my slow jog." There were a lot of really fit guys on the hill I was attemping to jog on. I did have to walk up one hill when no one was looking, but another really fit guy (or maybe the same one for the 3rd time) came along just as I hit the top and told me what a great job I was doing which gave me willpower to run again when I thought I was toast. It is amazing how well this program works. But really don't focus on what you can't do, just what you can. Which might be what you are supposed to do that day but I'll bet just as many people who finished this program didn't ace every run as those who did. Maybe more. The trick is to just keep trying. So says the lady who is trying this for the 3rd time and just missed over 4 weeks on this 3rd attempt.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• wallamom Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    7. Sep 24, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to NB02740)

I think the scariest part of W4 was how COMPLICATED it was....I totally failed on day 1 (could run 4'10", but not the whole 5) then lost confidence and just walked it out.  I decided to be remedial that week and did Run3 Walk 3, repeat, Run 2 walk 2 repeat, for day 2 and 3, and figured I'd try week 4 again next week.  Then, yesterday, I took myself for a run in the drizzle and just ran until I couldn't stand not knowing the time, and it was nearly 5 minutes!  Without a plan, I ran 5, walked 2, ran 5, walked 2.5, ran 5....essentially, week 5 day 1's plan!  It seems like my remedial, less complicated version of week 4 got me to week 5 anyway!  I am so proud of myself.  I think just keeping going, trying to push but listening when it hurts and backing off....we can do this!!  Of course, week 5 ends with running 20 minutes straight, so now I've given myself permission for a "remedial" week 5 as well...I may stick with day 1 for a while!  (or try day 2 and then fix as needed.)

Keep trying!
    Staci

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    8. Oct 2, 2012 11:04 PM (in response to NB02740)

I've been stalled at W3 and putting off jumping up to W4 for a couple weeks now.  One issue is that I can't help but look at the plan and realize you are almost doubling the running from W3 which is already bad enough (for me anyway).  Another issue is where I'm running.  I am at Bagram AF in Afghanistan sitting up around 5,000-ft elevation.  I just got back from a week of emergency leave at home in Cincinnati where the elevation is 500-ft.  I had actually completed W3D3 just before I left here and I fully intended to keep working on my running while I was home, but there was just so much going on that it didn't happen.  So, not only am I starting again after being off for 10 days, I am also dealing with a 4,500-ft change in elevation.  I started W3 over again and tomorrow is W3D3 so I'll do that, take my two days off and then do like everyone else is doing and move up to W4 and just do what I can and keep doing it until I can do all three days of W4.

• tnayrbj Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 18, 2012
    9. Oct 18, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to NB02740)
    Re: Big Difference from W3 to W4

I freaked when Is saw the week 4 also. But I use the android app so I just run when she says run and walk when she says walk. I could not make it the whole 5 minutes but because, I believe, the whole week is the same I will do the week the best I can and if by the end of the week I can not do it to 90% I will repeat.

Also I am 49 and just stopped smoking 3 yrs and 10 mnths ago, and this is HARD work and I like it.

Thank yall for a great plan and all the support on this site.

Jon

Kentucky

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    10. Oct 19, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to NB02740)
    Re: Big Difference from W3 to W4

Like a lot of people I look back now and feel a little silly since I just finished week 5.  You've got the best plan, it's the same way I made it through week4, of just doing it and not worrying about it.  Usually when I run I use my watch and will start the stopwatch for my runs and that way if I get to a point where I'm not sure I can finish I can see how much time I have left.  For me, it's just easier when I can see how much time I have left and know I only have to push myself for X number of minutes/seconds.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...