Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577483 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 276 277 278 279 280 ... 327 Previous Next
  • OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,155. Oct 17, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hi all and especially Linus, I noticed the shout-out! 

I was away on vacation all of last week and missed 5 pages of updates which I will likely never catch up on however I will still say CONGRATULATIONS to all who raced in my absence, I know you all did great

Melody, I read somewhere that it's common for runners to get sick after their goal race is completed.  Hope your cold passes quickly.

Well, while on vacation I brought my running gear but did not manage to run a single step but DAS and I did walk quite a bit seeing all of the beautiful sights in eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  When I got home I jumped right back in and did 4 mi on the 'mill on Monday, neglected to stretch afterwards, and gave myself stiff quads, smart eh? 

So, now that my first Half, and my vacation, are past, I'm making plans for the future.

On the fun side of things, my YMCA sent an email announcing that they will be holding a Color Run on New Year's Day!  Don't know if you've heard of these, but they give you a white race tee and then along the course there are stations with various colors of powdered dye that you are bombarded with as you run past, making a very technicolor tee at the end.  It sounds like a riot and I know I already have at least 3 friends waiting for registration to open.  I plan to also get some white/light thermal layers since it's likely to be cold in Wisconsin on New Years Day.

I'm also making plans to run the Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell run in December for the second year.  It's a fundraising run and was freezing cold last year but my one friend and I made the best of it, and they served some yummy chicken soup at the finish.  Gotta have something to keep me going over the winter! 

Longer term goal is the Oshkosh Half Marathon, this year I'm determined I'm going to run it and not the 5k.  I ran the course while training for the half I just did last month and really liked it.  I figure I'll maintain long runs of 6-9 miles over the winter and then hopefully join with the weekend training runs held for OHM starting in Feb.

Keep on Runnin'!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    4,156. Oct 17, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to OshCat)

Did an easy two miles on the treadmill this morning, 2 miles 20 minutes.  I took some time off due to a weird pain in my right knee after my HM a couple weekends back.  Didn't feel any pain during the run, but afterwards my knee was sore and after walking up three flights of stairs at work it was hurting.  I think this means a break from running for a while and a trip to the Dr. is in my future.  I've had my share of knee problems, luckily nothing major like an ACL, but this is a completely different pain from anything I've had before and am a bit worried as to what it might be.  I'll probably be MIA while I figure out what is going on.  Keep running all and best of luck to those with upcoming races!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,157. Oct 17, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to BigSlade)

NHLA Cool about the staircase and two runs in one day? Nice!

Old Coyote So excited for you!

Snerb Thanks!

OshCat Hi! Its been fun "seeing" you on Facebook. I think you're right about runners getting sick after a race. I feel like I held off a cold for weeks before the race. Your "Color Run" sounds fun! Crazy, but fun. Good for you planning out some races this winter.

BigSlade I hope the knee is nothing serious.

Keep up the great work, team!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,158. Oct 17, 2012 6:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Beautiful weather today, and a very nice run with the exception of some slight tightness in my calves after about 7 miles. I'm glad I kept going because it never developed into anything much more painful. Finished 10.8 miles in 1:35. I had to stop at about four intersections but that was OK. Got back to my car and took out my ..................................................house key to unlock it. Agghhh!!!!! I took the wrong key with me!! Luckily I left the windows open a crack, and was able to use a thin stick to push the unlock button and get in.

Races for the rest of the year will be day-of decisions, dependent on the weather. Night-time 5k on the 28th (Night of the Running Dead, with Zombies chasing regular runners), 10k I tried last fall on Nov. 3rd, and 5k Veteran's Day race are all possibilities.

Big Slade...... Keep in touch and best of luck with the knee.

NHLA....... I saw two gray squirrels and a guy walking a Doberman. This morning, however, while wlkling my dog, we saw 8-10 turkeys just off the road. I can do without those.

Oshcat..... I read an article in August about those "color races." It included pictures and it definitely looked and sounded like a blast. I'm not sure about January in Wisconsin, though.

Melody.... Take care of that cold. Chicken soup. Rest. Foot rub from hubby. Doctor's orders.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,159. Oct 17, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OC- you are so gonna kill your race!  Me, I just want to finish upright! 

Oshcat-how does the Oshkosh HM course compare to the Fox Cities?  Do they both go along the lake at all? 

DW has come down with a bad cold, so unfortunately I'm having to make her keep her distance.  Praying I avoid it, at least until after the race.

Run strong and safe this weekend!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,160. Oct 17, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just found this photo posted on Maine Track Club web site. It was during the Maine Marathon Sept. 30, and was between miles 13 and 14. The caption said, "Rain wasn't the only thing runners had to deal with."cows1.jpg

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,161. Oct 17, 2012 8:07 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab:  nice pics of the maine marathon...just shows how hazardoud running can be!  Nice job on the 10+ miler!  Think with some more of these that you will kill your next HM.

francessmom:  I am in Philly now and drove by the Philly RnR HM route today.  Super flat!  I may come back next year to do this one.

melodylea:How you feeling now after the big HM?  Glad to see you have targets already set on next one.

bigslade:  good luck with the knee.  How fragile our bodies become year after year.

oshcat: WELCOME BACK!  Glad to hear you got some down time.  Good to see you have targets already for next year.

coyote:  dude, you are so ready!  Will be thinking about you as I finish my HM at which time you will just be beginning your FM.  Proud of you for all the hard work and dedication to this.  Will try to follow in your footsteps next year.  Run "strong" and "fearless" this Sunday.  Look forward to your race report.

justrundan:  can't wait to hear your race report also!  Have a great race!

nhla:  you make training for a FM seem so casual, like "why doesn't everyone run 65 miles a week?"  Sure you will do great whichever race you choose.

snerb:  Sounds like you were "pulling a sled" again!  Still a good pace all in all.

Did 2 miles at HM pace (9 m/m  +/-)  and 4 striders this morning.  Was cold and windy but felt good.  Until...I got on plane 3 hours later and realized that I forgot to stretch after run.  Suffice it to say that tight hammies pulling on lower back led to long flight.  Feeling a little better now.

Short track workout again tomorrow here at sea level, then off for golf with dad and brother (he's the real runner in our family).

happy running all!  Stay fearless!

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,162. Oct 17, 2012 10:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.7 miles 54 min. Color is starting to get nice. 38 miles so far this week. Trying to get up to 80. Holding up OK but  felt weak today till about 5.Cleaned the kitchen and took off.

Stay away from other people for 24 hours after a long race. Your imune system has been compromised.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,163. Oct 18, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

justrundan - Fox Cities was entirely on paved streets/roads and finished in Lakeside Park in Neenah, so you did get to run along the shoreline for the last bit.  I don't know if the full marathon has any additional lakeshore miles.

OHM starts and finishes right along the river just before it enters the lake; also the stretch on the Wiowash Trail is along the shore where Lake Butte Des Morts empties into the river.  If you Google either race you can hit the link to the course maps.  Both are flat with only a couple of bridges/overpasses.

I've been cross training the last few days, I realized I need to work on my core a lot more than I have been doing.  Treadmill tonight and long run planned for Sunday since it's got the better forecast of the weekend days.  Now a friend of mine wants to do the Freaky 5k (costume run) on 10/27.  DAS is hitting his limits on my race participation even if they are all for good charities!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,164. Oct 18, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to OshCat)

Greetings!! It's been so long, I'm posting twice.

Snerb, sounds like your legs took a beating at that race!

NRDGirl, a charity contacted me four weeks ago saying they still had spots on their NYC team for 2012 so I’m thinking you should have no problem if that’s the way you want to go. The min. fundraising for most was $500.

Linus, I think we’ve been wired the same way. I often find myself caught up in thoughts like yours and usually when I’m very tired. So glad you’re enjoying your runs!

Dan, so sorry for all your loss! What a tough year for you and your family!!

Mel, congratulations on your great HM and report and time!!! You are done!! Love your pix!! You looked great finishing and so happy at the end. You ARE mountain lion tough.  I echo OshCat, I’ve seen a lot of folks get sick with flu or a cold in the week after a big race.  Personally I’m battling constant snot storm in my sinuses but that’s allergies. It never fails, when the weather reaches a perfect temperature for running, the allergies are in full bloom. No fun. 

Deb, Congrats on hitting the road outside! I’ve moved inside for a lot of my runs so I don’t have to factor in the weather, or at least that’s what I’m telling myself.  12.11 miles and three weeks? You are sooo ready!!

NoRaspberries – Good run!

PTATW – MN? Nope. Good to hear you’re back out!

Igotwings, 20 miles and no race? I can’t imagine. Hope you enjoyed it!

Ericd – Welcome back. Great race report!

Linus, Sounds like you’re bouncing back just in time! It’s not always easy.

Hound Mom, Welcome back! Good luck with your next HM and enjoy the training!

JMSab, You seem to have a relationship with TMs that’s working well. Good runs! You messed up the keys ‘cause you’re always running inside? Nah. Great run! 10.8. I completely locked my keys in the car at a gas station on a holiday after a race and try to get someone to come out on a holiday. I was so lucky, a fire truck pulled in and the guys took pity. That NEVER happens to me. OMG, Love the cows!!

FrancesMom – Good runs! Great times!! I am a transplant from Philly to Cincinnati. Fear motivates me. I’ve been injured enough that I can remember what it felt like to not be able to run and I don’t want to feel that again but I run for the fun of it, too. 

NHLA – you find the best things to see on your runs and you are amazingly fast. I thought that might taper off after your race.  Cleaned the kitchen? Nice!! Thanks for the post-race advice about staying clear of others.

OshCat, I guess I didn’t mention I did a color run two weeks ago. It was great fun. It’s not timed so to goal is just to enjoy. It was our first chilly morning so many folks wore tights of many colors under shorts and long sleeve shirts under the T they give you.  It all washed out of the clothing that wasn’t cotton. I think there’s still some red in my hair but it could be blue.

Run strong and fearless!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,165. Oct 18, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to mkayc)

Dan, Linus and OC - THREE MORE DAYS!!  Good luck and enjoy your races! You’ll do great!! 

I cannot wait!! although I'm not really prepared. The trail race took a lot out of me. The week after I only ran 11 mi. Then last week was 18 mi. with one 6 mi. run and a 5k. I was hoping for a PR on that course but ran into a lady I coached and opted to run with her instead. It was good. Sunday I knocked out a slow 8.3 at the gym and 3.25 at the gym on Tues. I'll get another run in tonight and maybe a hike on Saturday. I expect Sunday's race is going to hit me like a ton of bricks but I'll take it. At least I don't have to give up the race like poor Scott who was registered for the USMC marathon 10/26 and has Achilles tendonitis from the trail race. He's been training 20 wks. I feel so bad for him and I'm glad that darn race was his idea and not mine!

Enjoy your runs!!

I'll try to post color run pix separate.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,166. Oct 18, 2012 1:39 PM (in response to mkayc)

jmsab23 Thank, I'll tell hubby Dr. said so! It does make sense, what NHLA said, "Stay away from other people for 24 hours after a long race. Your imune system has been compromised." Wise words. I hate being sick, but so glad it was after the HM! Really funny about the cows but bummer about the wrong key!! LOL

OldCoyote | justrundan | linuscatch  SO excited for you all! I hope race day dawns perfectly clear and cool and you meet all your running goals! SO proud of you.

linuscatch Re: "How you feeling now after the big HM?" Muscles and recovery were awesome...then I got clobbered with a cold. Boo hiss! Missing my runs and now the cold has settled nicely in my chest, so... awe well.

OshKat Re: "hitting his limits on my race participation " I understand. My hubby isnt there yet, but I've only dragged him to a few races. The HM was an awesome time together waiting for the race, sitting snug in our car while it rained. Needed that kind of focused time with him.

Hi mkayc! Thanks re: my HM. I'm very pleased all in all. Even looking forward to the next one...(a FLAT course, please) lol

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,167. Oct 18, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

OldCoyote, justrundan, linuscatch - good racing this weekend!  I'll be cheering for each of you and can't wait to read race reports.

MelodyLea - feel better soon!

MaryKay - I'm a S.E. PA transplant too,but I headed north rather than west.  Are you from the city or the burbs?

NHLA - all that running and you clean too?  You are amazing.

jmsab23 - love the cows

BigSlade - good luck with that knee.

OshCat - I'm glad you had a nice vacation - it's so good to get away, at least that's what I've heard.  LOL

Tuesday was 3.1 miles - eh - tired legs but I got 'er done.  This morning was 4.5 extra strong miles.  The last 1/2 mile I felt so light on my feet.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

run strong, friends

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,168. Oct 18, 2012 10:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 68 min. Got caught in the rain. When I was running thru town I heard a large black man tell two teenagers" I know your grown now but you don't have to stay out all night."

Lost another toenail.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,169. Oct 19, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - Impressive mileage.

jmsab23 - January in Wisconsin can be a cold b%*th.

5.6 miles at a 9:00 pace.  I couldn't beat the weather this time.  The good news is that it didn't rain the whole time.....When it wasn't raining, it snowed.  The only time it wasn't raining or snowing was when I convinced myself that the weather was going to hold out for me to get 5 miles in.  Cold and wet when I made it home.  Needless to say, the hot shower felt excellent and the 2 cups of hot tea after my protien shake finished warming me up.

I bought Mark Sisson's book The Primal Blueprint.  Anxious to read it and educate myself.  On 12/3 I'm going to start eating primal and going to start P90X again.  I would like to start earlier, but I have three hunting trips planned in November, one in Wyoming and two in Northern Wisconsin, and I know that I won't be able to workout regularly and it's hard to stick to a specific diet during those hunting trips.  So, 12/3 is the date.

Cheers All!!!  Run strong.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...