Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

933631 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 297 298 299 300 301 ... 315 Previous Next
  • SaundraR Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012

Hi. Just started running this year at 64 yrs young because my Florida cousin (51 yrs old) started running last year and dropped 70 pounds in 7 months and now runs up to 20 miles weekly! That was incentive enough for me although I NEVER, EVER wanted to run and didn't run for bus, train, anything before. My outside walk covers 4 miles. Sometimes walk first and then jog back. Started c25k in late June. Got up to 7th week and decided to just do intervals for now. Doing my 1st 5k tomorrow in Atlantic City. Just want to cross the finish line but already planning on 2 more 5ks, one in Nov and one in Dec, weather permitting. I too found that I enjoy running. Get lots of support from my neighbors in the complex where I live who see me out walking and running around the courtyard and in parking lot. My goal is to drop 100 pounds. 20 pounds down already. I started with the Zen Labs c25k phone app on treadmill at the gym, then moved to the outdoors. Prefer outside run but treadmill beats a blank when weather is bad. Taking my time. Will probably do the c25k plan again soon. I like interval training, mixing walks with runs. Anytway, it's great to read what others in my age group are doing. Being heakthy is not just for the "youngsters".

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Welcome Saundra!  You will find great support, encouragement and humor here.  Great goal and great start on the weight loss.  The other benefit of running is it seems to help me eat healthier, even though weight loss isn't a big issue for me.  I just want to cut out a lot of the processed junk (but not all ).  Good luck with your first 5K tomorrow.  We always look forward to hearing about them afterward.  Run strong and safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!

It has been a long time since I last chatted with you all!

so busy and this is gonna be short too.

First, I missed you all!

Secondly, CONGRATS TONY ......... AND TO ALL WHO RAN THEIR FIRST FULL MARATHON!!!  Isn't it grand?!?  I am so happy for each of you!! 

Third, I have been running and training when I am in MN or AZ.  Work has me travelling alot and it's tiring.  But I registered for the Women's HM in Tempe, AZ Nov. 4th. I did register for the Duke city HM but my schedule changed the last minute and it didn't allow me to be in Albq. NM during that event, bummer!!

Training has me up to 10 miles with a 10 min. or less per mile so I have been maintaining it; I am running at least 3 times/week, no less than 6 miles.  I hope to finish within 2 hours which has been my norm. At 52 yrs young, that's still pretty damn good!    I am still planning on running my 3rd full marathon soon ............

Again, CONGRATS AND WAY TO GO!! to the "marathoners" 

Trail runner

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Welcome Sandra & Imcgill! Stop in often as you will find our little support group here very friendly and helpful.

It is good to hear from some that have been out of the loop for a while! We've missed you!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Especially DAN....Dan the marathon man!

My daughter & I completed a 17 mile training run last Sunday. OK, so we walked a lot,as it took us right at 4 hrs, but 17 miles covered is still 17 miles survived.

I have to admit I have mixed emotions as to whether I can do this Goofy thing. One minute I think...just 9.2 more miles....you can do it!  Then the next minute I'm thinking....that is just 4 more than what you are doing on Saturday and have to turn around on Sunday at do 26.....what where you thinking Marie when you agreed to do this!  EEEEEKKK! 

Oh well, one step at a time. Keep moving forward!

Happy running my mighty master friends!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Welcome Saundra to our every-growing group.  It's great to have more 60+ runners join us.  Congratulations on your weight-loss goal and good luck on your 5K today.  Please post a race report to share your experience with us.  Please post frequently and let us know how you are doing as the pounds fall away.  Also, add a picture if you want.

We are now at our son's house in Des Moines, ready for tomorrow's HM.  Weather is excellent, with tomorrow's temperature at the 8AM start expected to be upper 40s, rising quickly to the mid to upper-70s by the afternoon.  Total field for the 26.2, 13.1 and 5K will be 8,500.  The 5K starts 30 minutes after we start.  I will be running with the 2:20 pace group.  If everyone who signed up to run with her shows up, there will be about 17 or 18 in our group.  Running in a group at a controlled pace maximizes the chances of all of us finishing at or below goal time. First, we're not starting out too fast.  Second, socializing along the way makes the miles go by faster and more enjoyably.  My son will be faster, but he's half my age, so he had better be faster.

Our granddaughter is almost two months old and is, of course, beautiful.  I'll post a new picture after we get home.

Congratulations also from me to our first-time marathoners, half-marathoners, 5Kers and all other distances.  Age is a wonderful thing if you look at as no more than a number and a way to get discounts.  Why don't races give senior citizen discounts?

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jul 22, 2011

Steve- I'm jealous of the grandbaby!  DW & I are waiting, fairly patiently, for son/DIL.      Your run sounds  like a nice size, wish mine was a little bigger.  Only about 150 for the marathon, I think 800 total for 5/13.1/26.2.  It is an out & back course, so we'll have some company from HM runners until they turn around at about 6.5.  At my pace it may be lonely after that!  At the (very)small expo I bought a couple of headband/ear warmer, plan to wear the one that says 'SLOW-the new fast!', or one that says 'This IS my race pace!'  Weather forcast for tomorrow is ideal here also, probably 40 @ 0800 start, nearing 60 by the time I finish. 

az1414- training in 2 states is a great way to keep your runs interesting!  Way to go on your times- way out of my league.  Go get 'em!

Marie- Thanks for the encouragement!  Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon you can truly call me a marathon man-I believe it will happen!  My MIL and daughter are going to join DW at the finish tomorrow.  Her husband is one of the 4 in our family who have passed in the last year.  10/21 is the bithday of my oldest brother, who passed in August.  Doing this for all of them. 

God Bless you all; Run safe and strong!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Jul 22, 2011

Marie- yes, it's official, I am a...MARATHONER.     Full report (and pics) to follow when the post official chip times.  I did beat the 5:45 goal by about 5 minutes, so the predictions were pretty good, Tony!  Thanks again to all for the great support!!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Dan "The Marathon Man" You did it. can't wait to read your full report. I'm sure you had all those family members who you ran for looking down on you and smiling. Way To Go.

Marie your going to rock at Goofy. It's normal to have a little self Doubt. especially with your foot issue your dealing with. your doing great .In a few more weeks will start working on the head games . keep up all that hard work.

aZ1414 your travel schedule is amazing. glad you checked in.

Saundra Welcome . You already did completed one of the hardest things we all had to do. you made the commitment. Just remember slow and easy. your body will adjust over time. ENJOY those pounds melting away.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

You know, I really miss the emails advising us of updates to this thread!   Life has been so busy (professionally and training-wise) that I just haven't thought about posting updates here.  This morning, it took me 30 minutes to find the thread again! 

I so wanted to meet Mary while in Columbus this weekend.  Trip planning got crazy, it was a long drive (7 hrs on Fri afternoon) and we didn't have a lot of free time while in Columbus.

So how was your run?  Wasn't the weather terrific?   I'm amazed at how well organized these events are.  I ran the Detroit half last year at this time (22,000 runners) and yesterday the Columbus half ( an estimated 18,000) and things seem to go so smoothly.

I have been working hard all summer to bring my pace up.  I've posted here a number of times on training with my heart rate monitor, and experimenting with the information from a number of resources passed on by participants in this thread.  I can report that my training has been very successful.

I am now convinced that a runner needs to practice hill running and speed intervals, that a runner needs to do a weekly run at near race pace, but ALSO needs to run a long run each week at a very slow pace, keeping your heart rate at 75 to 85% of your maximum heart rate.  You'll need to do some research to learn your max heart rate - there are a number of methods for calculating it, and I unscientifically chose one that seemed to suit me.

After training four months this way, I learned that running slow on your long weekly runs does NOT slow you down, IT SPEEDS YOU UP!

I set my personal record for the half-marathon last year in Detroit at 2:09:52.

This year I wanted to finish in under 2 hours.  Recent shorter races and practice runs showed I could maintain the required pace for a 5 km or 10 km distance, but only the actual event could prove whether I could keep it up for 13.1 miles.  I would have been happy getting in under  2:05, but I REALLY wanted to beat 2:00!

After this training regimen this year, in Columbus yesterday, I ran the half in 1:59:12. 

We had a few car pools down there - a total of about 15 of us.  Two ran the full and qualified for Boston, including one guy (53 yrs old) who ran a 3:27 in his second marathon!  Another friend ran his first full in 3:54 - 57 years old, a man that weighed over 300 lbs just two years ago!

Those of you reading this thread who think you're too old to put up numbers like that better think again!  I read a story about a fellow who has been running marathons for 40 years, and ran the Montreal marathon this year in about 4 hours, AT 80 YEARS OLD!

Looking forward to hearing about your recent accomplishments...

• justamaniac Pro 178 posts since
    May 30, 2007

I'm pushing 56, started running 3-4 years ago, and have been dealing with one injury after the other.  I did my first marathon a year ago (Chicago).  Caught the bug big time, had a goal of doing 2 marathons 2012, but a series of injuries derailed that effort.  It's been very frustrating that as I've recovered from one injury I would succumb to another.  I realize that I'm not 20 years old anymore and that some of the injuries are my fault (doing stupid things).

Here is my question:   How do other runners in our age group handle these frustrations?

I want to be able to run further and faster (I would love to eventually do an ultra). I may not have the natural genetics but have the crazy notion that I can train my way into doing respectably ok (I really don't expect to ever "win" an event - there are too many really good natural atheletes out there).  None of my injuries have been serious, just a pain in the rear:  calf micro-tear (painful, all three times), hamstring pull, peroneal tendonitis, platar fasciitis, archilles tendonitis...

Looking forward to hearing what everybody does...

Frustrated,

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

(the blog is for my dad so that he can participate with me..., but others have found it interesting)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS DAN, THE MARATHON MAN! 

Well done, and what a beautiful day you were blessed with. Surely it was a day of many emotions!  It had to be extra special to have your mother-in-law, daughter and wife there for loving support and encouragement.  Looking forward to reading your race report, but until then, enjoy some well-earned rest and recovery and when you strap on the Honky Tonk belt buckle I'm sure you will be reminded of the dear ones you ran to honor.

You ran strong, friend!

• suzeecat Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012

BIG congrats to DAN, MARATHON MAN!  Doesn't it feel good to say and hear that?

I live in the Detroit area and it was a picture perfect day for the marathon yesterday, and I was a little wistful that I wasn't participating.  My church group that I trained and ran with in Chicago for World Vision is having our wrap-up meeting tonight and I know the plan is for us to get a team of 1,000 for the Detroit Marathon next year.  I'm really not inclined to do another full marathon because the training is so time-consuming.  But, I may consider doing the half, if that's an option for our group.  Another drawback is the fundraising.  It's one thing to raise funds the first time, everyone is excited and on-board with you.  But after that, people tend to get weary of you asking for repeat donations.  At the very least I am looking forward to seeing everyone tonight and celebrating our accomplishment.  Our team had over 300 people finish the Chicago Marathon, and we raised close to $400,000! 

Welcome, Saundra!  I do walk:run intervals most of the time.  Check out the Jeff (?) Galloway method, he has lots of YouTube videos and has published books on the subject. 

justamaniac, I was very careful during my marathon training to increase my mileage SLOWLY and I managed to get through it with little to no injuries, other than some early shin splints and ITband issues.  I found regular/daily foam rolling really kept me "loose".  A personal trainer explained that all our muscles are connected and sometimes pain in one area could be related to tightness in a different area, so it's important to roll out the tightness everywhere. 

Happy runs to everyone!!!

Sue P. (age 57)

Started running January, 2012

First Marathon, Chicago 10/7/12 - 5:53:31

Dec 12, 2009

Marathon Dan!!!! you did it!! Awesome job! I know it was an emotional experience for you and I look forward to pics and the rr.

Tony, tks for the encouragement! I realize that this is as much mental as physical and both have to be adequately trained.

Rob, glad to see you back and a big contrats on you breaking the 2:00 mark. Awesome time. Yes, you are right on w/ us needing to do hills and speed training along w/ the long slow runs. I'm hoping that after I finish Goofy, I can concentrate more on hill training (although I run routes w/ lots of hills anyhow, but the hill repeats are different) and speed work so I can improve my 10K time. The examples of runners w/ some ahhhmmm .....maturity..... is truly inspiring.

justamanic.....welcome!!! Glad to have you aboard out little group of mighty masters. I could have written your post re all of the injuries as I have had my fair share. Our older bodies take longer to heal and are quicker to injure if we don't watch it. Several of us on this thread are followers of Jeff Galloway. While I still don't run injury free, it is almost always when I step away from his recommendations and try to do too much too soon that I get in trouble. Check out his website  jeffgalloway.com  plenty of free info or  Kevin on The Extra Mile podcast did a couple of great series of interviews w/ Jeff. The one on the Galloway Experiment is a series of 9 or 10 45 minute or so podcasts is great for beginning info for marathon training, Kevin followed that series up w/ another Galloway series of podcasts. I highly recommend listening to them.

Sue, congratulations to your group for a fantastic job of completing the maraton and for the fund raising. $400,000 is a LOT of money for a good cause.

Debra, hope your running is going well. It is always good to see your posts.

Mary Kay....hope all is ok.

I got in a little over 4 miles today. Beautiful fall weather. Now I'm off to my walking group. Take care all and happy running.

Marie from Tennessee

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

JAM - A favorite article discussing the topic:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244-633-14401-0,00.html

Best advice I have is sh*t happens. The only way you know for certain that you've gone too far is if you go or have gone there. Get a good PT, stop as soon as you know the problem is bad pain, and start PT immediately. The sooner you start the healing process, the sooner you heal. It's all good. Younger people get injured and sick when they train. We are supposed to be wiser. Eh?

Rob, so happy for your PR!! Great time!! Yes, the race was fantastic!! I am still basking in the glow. Can still see the catholic cleric standing in the middle of the street in front of his church in full vestments, including a very ornate green and gold chasuble (tunic), with his arms up high and wide open like a Bishop giving a blessing saying, "good job!" to us as we passed. It was hilarious!  After that darn trail HM, this one seemed almost easy. I'm still waiting for the hills. I just may be stronger because I *ran* the whole way. it wasn't easy. Around 4 my brain started whining and wanted to walk. A friend's daughter, a HS track star, is recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia and Scott can't run so when my brain started whining, I refused to hear it because I was lucky enough to be able to race and without injury. I told myself I'd finish like I had finished the others and fretting was a waste of energy and after a while it worked.

There's not a sore muscle on me, just a mild knee ache. I am wiped out and have a wicked head cold. I tried to arrange for us to meet but didn't know you'd be traveling in a pack. If it had just been you and your wife...but it all sounded like a lot of fun! I had reservations for us with my running group at Spaghetti Warehouse, which was a zoo except that we avoided the mess by planning ahead and it was great.

I wanted to come in under 3 hr. By mi. 5 I was on track but doubted I'd do it because I thought I'd fade at the end. Around mi 9 I took inventory. It was 2 hrs and I had 4+ mi to go. I was tired, really wanted to walk and was breathing hard. Ignoring doc's advice, I used my inhaler a second time, had a little more gel, and forced myself to run. Turned out my splits were all much the same except my legs felt like rocks. Closing in on 3 hrs it looked like the time would come before I finished. With about 5 min to spare I remembered my watch was 4 min ahead and made a run for it, coming in at 2:56:31. I am pleased that I was able to ignore the mental midget inside my head. Winning!

I have to get back to all your fabulous accomplishments later. Thanks for your support! Stay strong and fearless!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Dec 12, 2009

Mary Kay, congrats on your last HM! You did fantastic beating that midget in the brain and was richly rewarded. I know you are proud of yourself.....as you should be!! I'm proud of you too!

justamaniac....really enjoyed reading your blog.  Re Newtons. I've had the same situation w/ ankle when running long distances while wearing the Gravities. I supinate and think that the lack of a build up on the outside of the shoe contributes to the stretching and subsequent pain.  I also have a pair of Newton Lady Isaacs that have the outside build up level to the lugs. I'm using then for the longer runs and the Gravities for the shorter ones. It seems to be working. You might want to ck it out. Of course the Isaacs are their more traditional shoe, so also a bit heavier and less flexible.

Marie from Tennessee

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...