Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

678301 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,170. Oct 19, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to Snerb)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Snerb I LOVE eating Paleo! It feels so right and clean, plus my goal of getting under 20% BMI is within reach because of this diet. So, Paleo or Primal..I vote yes! Glad you got all warmed up. I like running in winter partly because it feels so good to warm up again.

Debm2011 Nice on your super strong run Thursday! Feels great to feel great, eh?

NHLA Power on, Mr. Inspiration!!

I'm still hacking away like an old smoker. No running for me in the near future. But, that will give Amazon time to deliver my new kicks! Yay.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,171. Oct 19, 2012 9:28 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

I did a 5k on the dreadmill last night, trying to work on my speed (since I'm slower than a penguin!!)  At the end I had an average pace of 5.3 vs my usual 4.9.  I felt pretty good but a bit tired afterwards; will definitely keep this in my routine.

In the past day and a half I have registered for three 5k races - a Freaky 5k, the Jingle Bell run and the New Year's Color run.  I was also thinking I might as well go ahead and send in the $$ for my half marathon too, but then figured maybe i should hold off on that til after the bills from the vacation come in and are taken care of

JustRunDan, OldCoyote, LinusCatch - go get 'em at your races this weekend!  We are all cheering for you the whole way!

Melody - more new kicks???  You go girl!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,172. Oct 19, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to OshCat)

OshCat YOU go girl, with all those 5Ks. Way to go. Yep, my shoes are already very worn down in just 3 months! Guess thats part of uping the miles.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,173. Oct 19, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb, I lived in the Main Line (20+ yrs) but worked in Center City. I moved there for the schools for my stepsons and later my daughter. Loved how Philly is a small town big city. Knew the mayor and others from meetings when he was a Councilman and there was a time when he would have recognized me. Always got jobs by hearing about them, never through ads or head hunters. I get off the train from the airport on Market St. and I think I know by looking at folks on the street approximately what kind of work they do and what their family situation is. It feels like home but Cincinnati is getting interesting.

Hey, y'all, I'm also running an HM Sunday! whoo hoo!! Not scared yet. Been buried in work with clients yelling that I'm wasn't giving them enough time, which I didn't have to give. The downside of tapering is that I would be running right now.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,174. Oct 19, 2012 1:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MK - sorry I missed that, best of luck to you too!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,175. Oct 19, 2012 5:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

justrundan - I make it a habit to lock the car door with the key, always. That way I'm sure I have the right one.

mkayc - It's lovely how you can read and really hear every post somone makes

I did 4 miles today, or so. 41:24.  Probably more miles, as I ran a mile warmup jog, them ran at 9:00 pace, with surges to 8:00, and back down, then a cooldown jog. Easy workout, just keeping the motor warm and the carbon blown off the plugs.Then I drove into Boulder to pick up my race packet (Bib 1445). Along with a very light long sleeve shirt and an obnoxious orange cap, I got a beer glass with the race logo. I don't drink beer, though, so I guess it'll be a pen cup on my desk.

About the cap - the cap is very nice, it's the orange that's obnoxious. It is a color that is almost - but not exactly - unlike any color seen in nature.

I love it. It really brings me joy. I may wear it at the race. We'll see.

I drove the course. I'd run the first 10k of it last year, and wanted to drive the rest. The first 3 or so miles have some uphills. I find that's an advantage for me, as it slows me down, keeps me from blowing my pace in excitement. The course is on ~80% dirt in the farmland north of Boulder, and the scenery is STUNNING. The autumn colors are in top form right now, and the weather forecast is perfect. 48 degrees at start, just over 50 at the finish for the elites, and about 60 at my expected finish, sunny, breezy.

Again, however, personal trials have beset me, which I am not able to share. Suffice to say that Sunday at the finish line will be bittersweet; and that your prayers, affirmations, wishes and thoughts are cherished. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

36 hours...

Run free, and fearless!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,176. Oct 19, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Weird Friday.  I got an unexpected short day of work but it poured all morning and part of afternoon.  Decided to run before dinner.  Friday traffic was awful - so I altered my usual course to avoid stopping at lights and cross traffic. Ran for 30 minutes - don't know mileage,  Much prefer morning runs for both traffic and digestive reasons.  Glad I got some running time in.

Good luck to all you racers this weekend.  May you set new PRs and finish injury free!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Jun 8, 2011
    4,177. Oct 19, 2012 7:24 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC - So sorry for your trials. It seems after working hard toward a goal, a person should be free to celebrate, but life is messy. Glad you're enjoying the race anticipation! One step at a time. You are more than ready!!! It's just another run with hundreds of new friends. Right?

Got my best performance review yet but at the same time boss told me her review was bad because of my work. So I had about 30 seconds to savor the moment and twenty minutes of pouty face because she has asked me to do the work of two and I couldn't be two places at once. I had no plans to leave my job but now would be excellent timing. And I loved it. So I'm headed into this race in a slump hoping I can turn this attitude around.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,178. Oct 19, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to mkayc)

OshCat - all those upcoming races - wonderful!  You are inspiring me.  I'l think I'll sign up for the local Y 4 mile race Thanksgiving weekend - plenty of time to be ready after my half.

MelodyLea - hmmmm paleo.  I need to do something.  I'll have to do some reading.  I hope you're feeling better soon!

MaryKay - I was born and raised in the western suburbs (Delaware County), transplanted up north when I went to college.  If Philly is a small town  big city, then Boston is an even smaller town smaller city

OldCoyote - I'm sorry for your troubles, but you are strong.    Find joy in everything that you can - even an orange cap.

Francesmom - glad you got your run in.  I have to agree - morning runs are preferable.  By evening I've run out of steam.

Good Luck Dan, OC, Linus, MaryKay and all others racing this weekend!

This morning was 5 miles in the rain. Not as super strong as yesterday but pretty darn good.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,179. Oct 19, 2012 10:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 64 min. Had dust in the air from the Midwest looked like smoke.

Moving MIL to an Alzheimer unit this weekend near hear. It will be good to have her close. She is going so fast. Not much time.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,180. Oct 20, 2012 9:15 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

justrundan -  You're strong and ready. This Marathon is yours, now go out and take it!

linuscatch -  Have a great run in PA. What's your bib#?

mkayc -  Good luck on your half!

OshCat - I have a feeling that winter runs are a bit colder in Oshkosh than Denver.

NHLA -  "stay away from people". I'm not the most social person to begin with. Should be able to do this!

MelodyLea - Thanks for the encouragement. Take a look at this BMI calculator here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328 . It tells you what your BMI is compared to others of your age/gender in the United States and around the world! I'm an average Sri Lankan. Note that you must enter your country as "United States". "USA" doesn't work.

DebM - Thanks for the good words.

Snerb - I love the summer, don't get me wrong, but there's something about running while the snow falls that brings peace to my soul.     

Francessmom - AM runs are my favorite.

I ran a 35 minute unmeasured route this morning. Slow, almost recovery run pace, just getting the HR up for a bit. I bought a small (10oz) handheld bottle yesterday. I really just wanted something with a pocket to hold Jolly Ranchers and a couple of gels. There are aid stations every 2 miles on the course, so I COULD carry nothing, but it seems to me that there be dragons  that direction. Better safe than sorry. I ran with the bottle today, and it will work beautifully. Nathan makes some fine equipment. Pricey, but well designed and manufactured.

Stress has killed my appetite. I was two lbs below my goal weight yesterday, and just trying to restore my glycogen was difficult. I broke down and ordered pizza and cheesebread. Not even whole wheat crust. I know, evil white flour, and I don't need the fats, but anything to get some carbs in me! I had that for dinner and breakfast, then I'll eat a brown rice and turkey dish for lunch, and whole wheat spaghetti tonight. I'm going to the mall today and getting a neck and shoulder massage from one of the two Chinese Massage vendors. Two massage places, two survey places, 117 cell phone stores...And it's not THAT big a mall.

You've all been inspirational to me, and I'll owe my finish in part to you. Unless I DNF; then it's all me . But I'm trained, and I'll be fueled, and I've run through the wall before, 3 times in training, before I figured out fueling (eat as much as I can while running). I will not DNF unless injured, or act of God, and I'm confident that He wants me to finish. So, tomorrow afternoon, I'll pop back here, record my time, and then reflect.

And write a full race report.

Bib 1445.

For Avery: I'm scared, but I'm fearless.

For Micah True: I run free!

For my God: I shall fear no evil.

Jun 8, 2011
    4,181. Oct 20, 2012 12:52 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC - "there be dragons that direction" <== . Hang in!! You'll kill this race once you get going.

Color run pix and then off the expo. Wish I knew how to make these smaller after I post them here.

Scott helped me vent over work this morning so I'm back upright and as ready as I ever get. Yikes! that's a scary thought.

cr1.JPGcr4.jpgcr3.jpg

Mary Kay

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,182. Oct 20, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Thanks, all, for your good wishes for tomorrow's race.  Good luck also to mkayc, justrundan, and oldcoyote!  You all have trained hard, so run strong, and have a great race.

melodylea:  hope you feel better soon!  Enjoy the kicks!

nhla:  Alzheimer's is a cruel disease.  My FIL is in early stages but we know where it is headed.  Good luck with you MIL.

debm:  agree with you about Boston, having lived in Cincy, Philly, Boston and many other bigger cities.  I lived 35 miles west of Boston but whenever I went to a sporting event downtown, I ALWAYS ran into someone I knew.  It was uncanny.  And the best ever Italian food in the North End. 

Nice run in the rain.

mkayc:  Know exactly how you feel about work.  Bosses suck!  Forget all about him/her and have a great race.

snerb:  re: Paleo diet, I love meat, but have come to love the carbs just as much since beginning longer distance training.  Happy hunting and good luck with the diet.

coyote: don't know what your trials are but know that we will all be thinking of you tomorrow and beyond.  You will kill the marathon.  Good idea to survey the course.  Think positive thoughts, trust your training, and relax/enjoy the surroundings.  I am bib 8344.

Did last easy track workout here on Thur, and a 2.5 mile "shakeout" run today.  Am loving "sea level".  Went and drove the race route yesterday.  Like coyote's race, this course has 4 hills in the first 5 miles, and then mostly downhill after mile 7, with one last hill at mile 10.  The course runs through 2 college campuses, along a creek, through old town Bethlehem, some beautiful old neighborhoods, and finally finishes (same as start) as the old Bethlehem Steel factory.

Plan to go out easy, enjoy the crowd and scenery and feel strong at the end.

Run strong, be free and stay fearless!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,183. Oct 20, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to linuscatch)

oshcat:  you are a 5k fiend!  Sounds like you are really motivated so go kill 'em!

francessmom:  Like coyote, I prefer early morning runs as I find them more peaceful...lots of unique sights and sounds.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,184. Oct 20, 2012 3:15 PM (in response to linuscatch)

This is the last lesson our parents teach us.

I learned that I will never screw up bad enough to be put in memory care.                                     

She thought she was in prison so she escaped thru the window. Now she goes to the next level.

The place is great. It will be nice to have her so close. Only 19 miles so I can run there.

My only worry is she won't find people on her level.

Got a new girlfriend. She said "I know how you're doing, you're handsome." I said thanks. This may be one of the best pick up lines I've heard.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...