Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58479 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23 Previous Next
  • greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Oct 17, 2012 8:44 AM (in response to almightyD)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Wow almightyD! I'm sorry... that does sound depressing! I think it is really rude that they lost you... and then the instructor just left when you got back and told you to skip the last one?! jeeze. If they are going to treat beginners like that they should really be more clear in their advertising that the course isn't for beginners, or something. How many days/weeks is the class? You must be a pretty perservering person because I can tell you, I am 100% sure that I would never go back to that class ever, ever, again! haha.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    136. Oct 17, 2012 8:54 AM (in response to almightyD)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

AlmightyD, you are an amazing inspiration to us all!  I hope one day you can dust those running groupies that look like they need to eat more! LOL!  To keep going while facing their lack of concern or encouragement is just outstanding to me.  You believe in yourself and that's how it should be.  Everyone on this forum has such great stories of courage and perseverance, it's just awesome! 

I am on W5d2 tomorrow.  I am shocked every time I complete each run. I'm excited, I'm motivated and I can hear ALL OF YOU cheering me on right after the lady says "Your workout is complete!" Which is now my favorite statement along with "you're halfway!".

When I'm running these longer times I do definitely keep my mouth closed or only slightly open at the most. Also, knowing its a longer run, I pick some topic to think about like - if I could redecorate my family room. What would I do? - it sounds goofy but I forget about the fact that I. Running and I'm picking out paint colors in my head and visualizing myself at Lowes picking out light fixtures! Before I know it, my time is up.

The past 2 runs have caused more knee pain and I'm going to start strength training on my non run days. I found a video of runners strength training exercises at www.runnersworld.com so I might do that.

Is anybody losing weight yet? I think I've lost only about 5 lbs.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    137. Oct 17, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Raynarunner- or anyone trying to lose weight by running I highly suggest taking 3 really important measurements .....thigh, hips, and stomach!   I'm working with a Dr for weight loss and lost really fast before i started running then really slowed down but when I went in for my appt yesterday I was depressed to have only lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks but then found out I had lost 5 inches of belly fat the hardest to lose!  So I'm gaining muscle but losing the bad stuff and the scale doesn't always show the whole picture

Greeneybeaney-   I so hate all the negativity given to people who don't act or look in what is concidered a "normal" way or the people who have put down to feel better themselves that last night although hurtful really set me harder to not quit and be there if someone like myself joins the group.  The actual course and workout is not that hard I did it pritty easily I am just alot slower than everyone else. I am trying really hard to not push it so I can stay injury free, which for me means slow and steady.

And someday when they are all nursing injuries from pushing too hard  I will smoke them all. I was the only one able to carry on a conversation at the end of the run and not gasping for air. 

Really helpful article on breathing by the way!   Gonna try that next time , I have already paced myself at 3 steps breath in 3 steps breath out. 

Maureen-  since running I have averaged about 1 lb a week but many more inches than before I started running and lost many more lbs. 

Oct 9, 2012
    138. Oct 18, 2012 5:41 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm super sad today. My knee pain has gotten so bad that I couldn't do my run this morning. I tried to run but the pain was horrible.  My quads are too weak to support my weight when running so I'm going to the gym and start strengthening them.  I just don't want to fall too far behind.  I've been taking anti-inflammatories, elevating them and using KT to stabilize them. Could it be my shoes?

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    139. Oct 18, 2012 8:48 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Holy crap I made it!  W5D3 is done!  A few weeks ago if you had told me that I would be running 20 minutes straight after I thought I was dying after 1 1/2 minutes or even 3 minutes I would have said you were crazy.  I actually had to alter my route a bit because I turned around a little too early and still had about 5 minutes left at my usual stopping point.  Note to self, when changing up my usual route make sure there isn't an uphill grade during those last two minutes.

I have to give a shout out to Maripossa24 for the link about breathing and Maureen0131 because I went to runnersworld.com to try and find that article and ran across an article about breathing there too.  I didn't have a stitch in my side like I usually do, which I have since found out is probably from not breathing deep enough, and didn't feel like I was as short of breath even though this is my longest run to date.  The only downside is that my stomach was actually getting a little sore from all that deep belly breathing.

Now I think I need to start working on strengthening my legs a little bit on my off days so I'll have to see if I can find that article on runnersworld.com and check out that one on coolrunning.com.

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    140. Oct 18, 2012 10:04 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

AlmightyD: you are amazing!  I am sorry for your experience but you are obviously handling it really well.  Keep us updated on how the class goes.

Maureen0131: I'm so sorry about your knee pain.  I wish I could offer some suggestions, but I"ve never experienced anything like that (yet).  I really hope the pain lessens quickly so you can keep running.  We don't want to lose you!

Jeb6294: I'm really impressed you managed to do an uphill grade at the end of your 20 minute run!  Way to go!

I just finished W6D2.  Like my last couple of runs I combined the runs into one long run, which is easier for me.  I have to say, though, that I can barely finish the two miles, so I'm not sure I'll be able to complete W6D3 (2.5 miles) in just two days.  Well, I can always repeat a week if I can't manage it. 

I hope everyone is hanging in there!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    141. Oct 19, 2012 9:09 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Tada...I found a place where I can get my phone on wifi and upload my Nike+ data.  It's in the secure prison compound but I found one.

w5d3.jpg

I am a little disappointed that my pace has gone down some, I was around 10:40/mi during the earlier weeks and now I was a hair over 11:00, of course my running time has gone from a minute at a time to 20 minutes so I guess I shouldn't complain...endurance first and then I can try and work on getting my time down.

Dec 14, 2007
    142. Oct 19, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Did my "homework" for my class last night 5min/run...2min/walk..x6.  Took a new route and got a little lost and ended up doing 3.8 mi by the time I got home(really did2 of w5d1).  My main song chioce was in honor of my class instructor " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" Had me giggling everytime it came on.  the best was at the end when my app said "you have completed your workout " (for 2nd time) my music cut back in "and that's what makes you beautiful!"   hahahahha    Who knew my phone could be so encouraging.   Feel ready for the 20 min run on sat .

Maureen-  if you have acsess to a pool you can try jogging in the water to keep up your endurence while you take care of your knee. My son had to do that when he strained the tendon on the inside of his knee. Most lap swims will have walking lane you can do that. It might feel better than then pounding of pavement.   Definately have you shoes looked at. It could very well be the core of you problems.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

• Raynarunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    143. Oct 19, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm so excited to have my stride/gait analyzed this weekend.  I couldn't quite finish my w3d2 beause my shins and lower legs hurt so bad.  I started trying different ways of running and actually found that if I lean slightly back and do a low "high-step"  my shins didn't hurt so bad.  I would imagine it makes my feet hit the treadmill differently and my muscles are working differently but it felt so weird becuase I wasn't used to it.  (I can just imagine how I looked doing it too, Hah!)  Hopefully the alaysis will help out.

Maureen0131, everyone I have talked to sings praises about having this kind of analysis done so if you haven't done that, it might be another thing to do to help your knees.  I think they recommend shoes and that kind of thing when you do this as well.  I would imagine they could tell you if your shoes are causing problems.

Keep it up everyone, great job!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    144. Oct 19, 2012 12:35 PM (in response to maureen0131)

maureen0131 wrote:

I'm super sad today. My knee pain has gotten so bad that I couldn't do my run this morning. I tried to run but the pain was horrible.  My quads are too weak to support my weight when running so I'm going to the gym and start strengthening them.  I just don't want to fall too far behind.  I've been taking anti-inflammatories, elevating them and using KT to stabilize them. Could it be my shoes?

Or your stride/footplant?  Make sure you plant your feet as close to directly under your hips as possible.  Make sure your knees are slightly flexed (not straight/locked) and your knees should be even with or slightly ahead of your ankle.

Len

Len

Oct 9, 2012
    145. Oct 19, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Wow! thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone.  This is affecting both my knees in same place. I can hardly walk right now. It seems ibuprofen is the only thing that calms the pain down. My run this am was horrible. I could barely pick up my feet. I am thinking its my stride so I will have an analysis done.  I will also go get checked out at The Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine Dept - they have a group of MD's, PT's, and sports gurus that specialize just in knees! Its nice to have this right in my back yard. I live in a suburb of Cleveland.  For now though, I can't move forward with the training program until this pain is gone. I will probably do some stationary biking at the gym and get started on strengthening exercises.  I will be a bit behind many but right along with many on this forum too! This has been wonderful and I'm NOT GIVING UP!  Its breaking my heart that I'm having so much pain and trouble.

My goal is the same. I WILL run the Detroit 5K on Thanksgiving Day! That is my resolve! Thanks again for all your support.  You guys are great!

Jan 18, 2008
    146. Oct 19, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to maureen0131)

Clearly, healing comes first.  The Cleveland Clinic sounds great!  I might add that running in place gives you some sense of foot position and keeping the knees slightly flexed.  Of course, it's different when you're actually running.

Len

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    147. Oct 19, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to Raynarunner)

Raynarunner wrote:

Question for anyone out there.  Does anyone run on the balls of their feet?  I understand this is the new fad out thre and they are finding it is easier on people's joints by doing this.  I think it may have started with the use of those shoes with toes since they don't have much padding on the bottom to obsorb impact.   I've tried it but since I'm not used to it it would certainly take some getting used to.

Anyone tried this or run this way?

What you may be referring to is a forefoot strike (as compared to heel strike or midfoot strike).  It's nothing new, just in a distinct minority.  And it's gotten more attention with the trend of minimalist/barefoot running.   Also, it does not mean running on the balls of your feet. You land first on the ball but then the rest of the sole of your foot lands, the heel very lightly.  This allows the entire foot to absorb the stresses and pronate as your foot rolls forward to "toe-off".

Take a look at some of the videos on this web page to see what a forefoot strike looks like.

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Len

Len

Dec 14, 2007
    148. Oct 20, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Got out for an early morning run today, my favorite,  did a combo of my "homework" and w5d2  so ran 10run/2 walk, 20r/2w, 10 run with the 5 min warmup cool downs. Was surprised how comfortable it was and even bumped up my pace a little w/o trying.  Gonna try to get one more day in tomorrow depending on what my body has to say about it.

Maureen -  anxious to hear about they find out about your knee pain.  Hope it is an easy and quick fix!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    149. Oct 20, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Wow, AlmightyD, I'm jealous!  I wish my run had felt like yours.  I just can't use the words running and comfortable in the same sentence yet.

I just completed W6D3.  This was the hardest run yet for me.  Part of the problem was a stomach ache that hit me halfway through the run. I managed to finish the 2.25 miles though.  I hope my next run is a bit easier!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...