Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

727 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2012 10:59 AM by rcuriel RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2012 11:14 AM

Runs & workouts, Saturday, October 20, 2012

3 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 23:51 (7:57 mile pace).

Splits: 9:44, 7:30, 6:37. [edited to fix second split]

I have to back off from running that fast, because I've had a right hamstring problem the last few years and I could feel it today. Really I don't have to run fast again till next June, when I have some local races in mind. If I can keep running slow but steady, I should be in good shape next summer.

12 miles for me this week. That's a good week for me: I'm happy.

Rich, I posted some work-related links for you on yesterday's thread, in case you didn't see them. Just some ideas for you in case you are interested.

Dark Horse

Message was edited by: Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 20, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

I've saved those links to the computer D.H., thanks! 

Ever notice we don't get hurt when we run easy?  With me, it's either in a race or when I'm doing something up tempo and almost always on my dominant right side.  Are you right side dominant D.H.? 

I'll say one thing, you're running a lot stronger than you were a couple of months ago, excellent workout today.

I thought I might be sore after yesterday's nordic walk and I am.  Not my bad foot, that actually feels pretty good today, but my back and arms are complaining.

Today's workout was an 8 mile easy bike ride on the trail in 44:09.  I'll do push-ups and sit-ups before the day's over.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 10, 2007
    3. Oct 20, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Saturday, October 20, 2012

That's interesting, I'd never thought about the dominant side being weaker, but it makes sense.

A couple of years ago my sister commented she could always tell when it was me she saw running, she said I only swung one arm.  What? 

Sure enough, the next time I ran, I checked my form and my right arm was swinging fine, but my left was only doing an abbreviated version.  The more I looked into it, my whole left side was pretty much along for the ride and working very little and I never realized it. 

I suspect trying to run through an earlier injury may have caused the problem, but it also could have been my dominant side had taken over.

At any rate, the fix was to get both arms swinging the same, once I did that, everything else fell in line.  I must have been a one legged runner for quite a while though, once I fixed things it was a long time before my left leg could keep up without getting sore...lol

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    4. Oct 20, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Some interesting post in the last couple days.  I think congrats to you DH, but I can definitely understand your trepidation in giving up the flex time. I can understand Rich's desire to do something part-time, just to keep the head in the game and to interface with other folk.  I "retired" for a few months and got into a little consulting which led to a full-time job.  I left that and have been looking for something that can make a little money and allow me to be active in business.  An opportunity came up to partner with a friend to attempt building a business around sourcing products and representing companies in either direction between the USA and Vietnam.  My partner is a VN national and has been a successful entrepreneur both here and in Vietnam.  The hours are flex but the opportunity "could" be large, depending on our efforts.  The perfect job is one that doesn't seem like a job because its enjoyable.  Doing something around running would be fun, but haven't figured one out yet.

Today I did a slow 10 miler, and overall felt pretty good, never having any I want to quit moments, even got a brief runners high going.  It has been very surprising how well my legs feel after running, a result of more miles and I think the right shoes.  Yesterday I did 4, so my total for the week was 3x4 plus 10 to total 22 (thanks for asking Ray.)  I want to continue something like this routine, a long run, some interval/tempo stuff, till my half 12/9.  I am not going to get obsessed about trying to do a PR type run, but just want to have a good experience.

Good runs to all.  I'm walking 18 tomorrow as a recovery activity.  The weather is suppose to be in the 70's, which is no doubt the last of that kind of temps. 

Mike in Minneapolis

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Oct 21, 2012 4:48 AM (in response to brndog)

Hey Mike, nice run yesterday.  You're taking the right approach going into this half, having fun is what it's all about.  I can get a little too aggressive and forget that sometimes, but I'm usually just competing against myself...lol

Enjoy your round of golf today, at first I read it as walking 18 MILES...lol

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    6. Oct 21, 2012 10:59 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

3 miles on the treadmill, 23:40 - mile times 8:46, 7:52, 7:02.  Another 6 miles walking through SF.  Beautiful day, low 70's, high 60's and lots of sun.

Interesting discussion on dominant side.  I do know for me, my dominant side is much stronger.  Remember reading or hearing that it was a challenge for body builders to develop the non-Dominant side to maintain symmetry.  I'm not ambidextrous, but can switch hit and play ping pong left handed and until recently could wear the same contacts on both sides.  Which is to say, I'm a bit more symmetrical then average and my right upper body is better developed than my left.

Don't know about the legs.  I kick with my right and jump with off my left.  Don't think there is a big difference between my legs, at least not visible to me.  I'd have to do some tests to determine strength differences.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...