Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2745 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 11:31 PM by JanetOresick RSS
run930goal Rookie 4 posts since
Oct 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2012 10:06 AM

training for half marathon - progress

HI ALL!  I've been running for a year now and I am currently training for my 2nd half marathon.  My first half marathon I did intervals of run/walking and was just happy to have finished it. This time I'm running the whole thing and really want to finish in 2:30. I'm not far off from getting there, but I feel like I'm hitting a wall. After this week I will be entering the taper down weeks before my race Nov 11th.  Currently since logging longer miles, I feel as though my time just keeps getting slower. I am by no means a fast runner. On average I run around 11-11:30mins per mile on longer runs say over 4-5miles and on shorter runs I can actually get my pace into the 10 mins per mile.  Last week I ran 10 miles in 1:57:23.7 and felt pretty good throughout that run. Yesterday, I ran 11 miles in 2:15:00.8 and felt aweful throughout the run almost as though I wouldn't make it, WHY? Feeling discouraged and not sure if its normal for time to decrease the longer miles you log during training or if I'm doing something wrong. I have a feeling I'm not eating properly and therefore not getting enough fuel for good performance. Any tips advice motivation? needing encouragement!

• MelissaDail Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 18, 2011
    1. Oct 21, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to run930goal)

Hello,

I am in a similar boat as you are... I am training for a half in February. Some days I feel like I struggle through a measly 3 miles and then I have days like yesterday I ran 6 and felt like I could have kept going. I am really struggling with the eating, making sure I get enough food in, while trying not to gain weight while training. It's a hard thing to balance. I also find that I run slower with my longer runs. I am curious to see what other people will say to reply because I could use the helpful advice as well!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,376 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 21, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to run930goal)

Any number of things can have an effect. The weather, temperature, wind, even humidity. How much sleep you've been getting and how restful it is. Stresses in your life that may be wearing mentally.  Biological cycles (guys too, to some extent).  Your health in general.  Your hydration in the days leading up to the long run.  Other runs in the preceding days.  And yes, diet. Try to eat a "normal", balanced diet, somewhat high in carbohydrates.

Len

Len

• JanetOresick Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    5. Oct 25, 2012 11:31 PM (in response to run930goal)

I'm registered to run my first 1/2 marathon next May in Pittsburgh, so reading your posts here is making me aware of some of the challenges that I will be facing when I start my training. I always thought that your longer runs were supposed to be slower time wise. It can be discouraging when we feel so good on some days and then drag on the other days.  Are you using any specific training plan?  GOOD LUCK!&

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...