Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49483 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 Previous Next
  • Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Oct 20, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to jeb6294)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Congrats on your run! How did you upload your Nike+ graph? I want to do that!

Oct 4, 2012
    151. Oct 20, 2012 7:20 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I am so happy to hear that almost everyone is doing so well. ;-)

I was supposed to do W3D3 tonight but my husband got home too late so I will have to do it tomorrow. I did we'll on my first two days. I thought I was going to pass out on the last 3 minute run though. I completed my 30 minute segment but it wasn't 5K so I ran .12 of a mile (length of my street) and walked back until I completed the 5K. It took me 39 minutes again. I am going to definitely try that breathing technique and see if that helps. Thanks for the link.

AlmightyD- I am very impressed by your determination. I agree that slow and steady is the best way. You said that those people are former runners trying to get back in, obviously their way didn't work the first time.

I am doing a 5K on Oct. 28th! My goal is 35 minutes.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    152. Oct 21, 2012 8:13 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Son of a b----!!!  This morning was my second day off between weeks 5 & 6...or maybe I should say it was "supposed to be" my day off.  As per my usual routine, even though it was an off day I threw on my stuff and went for my walk.  About 1/3 of the way through my walk the Sgt. from our office went running by in the other direction so we both waved and said our good mornings and headed on our merry way.  Not a big deal, we've passed each other before and I've told him about the whole c25k thing.  Well, he made his turn and caught back up with me about a mile from our billets.  "Hey, come on and finish this last mile with me."  Sure sounds like a good idea, run that last mile with the Army Sgt. who runs 2-3 miles a morning just for fun.  So, I ran the last mile back with him...not jogged, RAN.  He said we could go at my pace, but just because of how I am I was trying to go at his pace, which I'm sure was well below 10"/mile.  But, we made it back and he was impressed with the progress I've made.

Nicolette78, after I got my Droid synced to my Nike+ account I just pulled up the run for that day and did a print screen/screen capture and then cropped it down so it was just the graph saved it as a .jpeg file and uploaded the image to the site.  If you're a little more 'puter savy, there's also a way you can get the address for the .jpeg from the Nike+ site so you can link to the graph instead of uploading it but I think Nike doesn't want you to do that because to do it involves getting into the source code.

Oct 4, 2012
    153. Oct 21, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to jeb6294)

Thanks I am not computer savvy so I will try the first way. ;-)

Oct 4, 2012
    154. Oct 21, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to jeb6294)

Here is my overview since I started walking/running...

Attachments:
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    155. Oct 21, 2012 4:37 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Got in another 2 1/2 mi run today.  Was suppose to do a 20 min  but just jogged the whole way back to my house .  So this week I have jogged a total of 11 1/2 mi .  totally unbelievable to me.   Taking tomorrow off so I can be fresh for my class on tues.

Jeb -  that's great!   Nice that you have that support and positive push!!!!  

I've been using run doubles C25k on my phone but been having problems with the gps milage.  So down loaded nike+  but can't get it to sinc up with the music i"ve downloaded on my phone anyone know if theres a trick to that?  The nike app wont let me do anything else on my phone w/o stopping my run.  am I doing something wrong?

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    156. Oct 21, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi everyone!

I hope that link is helping some of you out! So week 3d2 SUCKED for me. I was tired to start off with. Right after the warmup, I tried to breathe through my mouth as well as my nose. NO, lol. My breathing got way ragged and out of sinc, I couldn't get it back under control, and it burned my lungs soooo bad. I got through the whole thing, but it was an ordeal. Lesson learned the hard way.

So today I finished w4d1, and I did it! But I kinda messed it up, and ended up giving myself more work to do. My wife does this with me, but she is much slower than I at this point. We start out the same, then we ususally meet back up when I'm on my return interval close to home. I told her this week I'd be running more time, so it would be more distance, so she wouldn't get worried if she didnt see me at my usual time.

I run with Suzs podcast, and for week 4 she doesnt do the voice cues, it's just one song to run, one to walk, etc. I got so caught up in running, I ended up running three full intervals on the first part of the loop instead of two! By the time I looped back home, I realized my mistake. Now I was around 1.5 miles from home, and I knew I'd have to walk it. I also knew I was taking waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy longer than expected, and I knew she'd be worried.

Yep, on the final stretch, I see her waiting anxiously on our corner looking for me. I told her the story while laughing at myself. She told me how she was going to wait another minute to see if I came back, if not she was gonna go drive the route looking for me. She was picturing me in the street hit by a car. Poor thing. D'oh!

Keep at it, everyone!

• Raynarunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    157. Oct 21, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Maureen0131, Very interested to see how your thing at the Cleveland Sports Medicine Clinic goes. 

Had my gait analyzed this sat and it was fun.  The gal told me that my gait was great and how I take my steps are fine too.  THEN she asked me how old my shoes were that I was using.  I am embarassed to say that they are about 10 years old.  Since I had just started running I hadn't given it much thought.  She thought that might very well be what is causing my shin pain.  It is unbelieve able the variables that can go into a pair of shoes.  It sounds like the average person "overpronates" which means they step slightly on the inside of their foot and roll out. ( you might notice your shoes wearing at an angle if you do this.)  For people like that they need a firmer support around the arch area of their shoe.  I don't do it but I mother does so she got a completely different shoe becuase she needs that firmer support.  She said that was the first pair of shes she actually felt really good about in a very long time.  It was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.  I went to Fleet Feet.

That being said I have made the very disappointing decision to start the whole program from the beginning.  I was in such agony today that I was almost crying.  I love the new shoes that I got but I'm thinking I have done too much damage to keep going to the next week at this point.  I think I need to start slow (maybe just speed walking for a few weeks) and let things heal and then go VERY slowly from there.  I might think about getting a pt as well.

Congratulations to everyone who has signed up for 5ks already!  Fantastic!

Jeb, way to go on your run!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    158. Oct 21, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well, for the first time since I started this thing, I failed one of my runs.  And of all days it was one that shouldn't have been too much of an issue, w6d1 after successfully doing my 20 minute run the week before.  I wish it was due to some decent reason like I fell and had a bone sticking out of my leg or because I got shot by some Taliban sniper, but no, it was because I had to go to the bathroom.  I felt fine when I started but that jogging must have shaken something loose.  I made my first 5 minute run and was almost midway through my 8 minute run when I had to go back to walking the rest of the way back.  There are port-o-johns scattered all over the base and some of them are actually pretty safe because they're used on a regular basis so people try not to make a mess.  Between the Afghans and the Turks, the ones along the route I run look like something you'd see on the last day of Oktoberfest so there was no way I was sitting in one of those.  I'm not going to beat myself up about it, especially since I got in a little run yesterday, so I'll just do it tomorrow morning.

In the interest of full disclosure, since I was walking back to my room this morning I tried to check the distance the Sgt and I ran yesterday.  I don't remember exactly where we were when we started but it looks like our run was between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile.  Even so, apparently he was impressed enough that word made it up to our Lt. Col. who was also impressed with what I'm doing.

AlmightyD:  I've heard a few people say they have issues with their music and Nike+.  When I use it I don't even mess with it.  On my Droid I start my Nike+ right when I start out from my hooch and then when I get close to my usual starting point I will start that day's podcast on the music player.  The podcast tells me when to switch between running and walking and I can still hear the Nike+ updates over the music when I hit 1 mile and 2 miles.

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    159. Oct 22, 2012 4:54 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I can't believe I'm already on Week 2 of my 5k to 10k app, and still enjoying running.  I'm super slow, I haven't actually hit 5k yet, but I have ran for 35 minutes.  I'm actually ok with being slow, I'm more active, and I'm running at least 3x a week (sometimes I throw an extra in there).  I've been adding some strength training, that's fun also.  I just never thought, at 46 years old, that I'd start being one of those women who "likes" fitness stuff, like running and lifting weights.  Who knew?  Thank you C25K.

• RunBinaRun Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2012
    160. Oct 22, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi everyone!!

I (re)started the C25K program on October 3 and just found this forum   I've tried the program multiple times but this is definitely the furthest I've gotten (w4d1 is tomorrow).  I'm amazed at what I've accomplished after every run (especially after w3d3 when those 3 minute jags actually felt good!).

Question for you all - Has anyone experienced some aches and pains around the ribs after running? It's not a side stitch and it doesn't bother me while I'm running but after.  Since I've started, my torso especially around the ribs on the right side have felt achy, almost like they're bruised.  I'm fairly familiar with anatomy (I'm a Massage Therapist) but can't figure out what this could be.  My only theory is that it's from breathing harder and my lungs expanding more and harder than usual? Anyone else experience this?

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    161. Oct 22, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to RunBinaRun)

Hi Run Bina,

I've not experience it, but it might be your intercostal muscles. They will eventually loosen up if that is the case.

Keep at it!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    162. Oct 23, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hey everyone!

I finished my week 5 day 3 run yesterday... the first twenty minute RUN RUN, not WALK/RUN... I think it could have been much worse, but I did a good job pacing myself at the beginning (aka forcing myself to go as slow as possible). About 3/4 of the way through I was really feeling it, side was acheing, face was red, heart was beating fast... even my dog looked tired!! But, I was able to finish strong at the end with a really fast pace for the last minute and a half or so. I read that you are supposed to try to sprint/really pick up the pace at the very end of the run, so I have been trying to do that. I was really happy afterwards because I think W5D3 is a big milestone, being that first real run. I'm happy I get two more days with run/walk intervals though!!

I'm happy to see everyone is doing well! AlmightyD... 11.5 miles in a week... wow! I think the most I do is 6 or seven, but I haven't been keeping track. I have an Ipod nano/touch thing, which I think came with some nike running thing on it so I might have to give that a try and start keeping track. Those pace graphs that you guys have are really cool!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    163. Oct 23, 2012 8:28 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all,

RunBinaRun, I agree with Maripossa24.  It's probably your intercostals.  I experienced it once, after a particularly difficult run (for me), and it hasn't happened since. 

Greenybeany: Congrats on finishing the 20 minute run! 

I just finished W7D1.  Boy did I feel like quitting today.  I mean even before I went out to run.  Jogging 2 miles is really the limit of my comfort zone right now, so pushing myself to run 2.5 miles today was rough.  I know I could stay at 2 miles for a couple of weeks to make things easier, but I just want to finish the program and then, if I need to, cut back to whatever feels comfortable.  So I'm quite happy that I managed to do the run and that I'm getting close to the end of the program!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    164. Oct 23, 2012 8:31 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Did a 3 mi run in "class" tonight and jogged the whole thing minus the 5 min warm up walk and it felt pritty good.  Still slower than everyone else but I was happy .  Few little sarcastic comments from the teacher but screw her.  Gonna try for 3 more runs this week.

Greenybeany-  great job on your run!  Think I may try your  idea of punching up the pace toward the end of my runs.

Loony2ns - yaaaa for the 2.5 mi run today!  do you have any plans for a 5 K when your done?

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...