Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1472 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 2:56 PM by runazrun
Marilyn Rojas Rookie 7 posts since
Feb 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2012 11:57 AM

Question About Improvement

I have a question I have not been able to figure out in regards to performance improvements in the triathlon world.

I am an age grouper (37 yo) on my second year practicing the sport, however, I have been a runner for 4 years, good health and no injuries so far.

Over the past couple of years, I have beneficiated with more endurance, as I finish less fatigued each race (mostly Sprint distance) but my finish times remain the same for the past couple of years ( 1:45/1:50) I follow a healthy diet, have some sessions with tri-groups, and follow training schedule 3-4 times a week (7/10 hrs a week)

How long should it take to start seeing improvements in my performance?

Two years ago, when I stated, I based my performance from the first 3 races, I figured I should be hitting the 1:35 mark for Sprint distance by now, but I am not.

I have completed 9 tri races in the last 24 months.

Any suggestions?

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Oct 23, 2012 12:05 PM (in response to Marilyn Rojas)

Hi Marilyn,to improve you need to break Triathlon down into 4 parts,swim-bike-run and transition.The easy answer would be swim faster,bike faster and run like the wind!!Everyone is different, as far as time to train,work schedule,family etc.for instance all my running is right off the bike 3days a week 10/20 mile bike followed by3/5 mile run and depending on what race I'm doing next will depend on pool time.Take a look at your transition times then look at the people who have your desired time,you'll likely see a lot of time to be saved in transition.I'm 50 and actually getting faster because I'm training smarter,I don't just wing it anymore,best of luck and hang in there you'll be improving in no time!!

Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• Ron Hoyne Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    2. Oct 31, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to Marilyn Rojas)

Marilyn, congratulations on your improvement in your general fitness and your ability to finish races and be less fatigued.  The only way that I have found to improve speed is to practice being faster.  If you currently run the 5K at an 11 minute pace, practice running a single mile under 10 or under 9 if you can.  Or if necessary start with a half mile at a really fast pace for you.  Eventually, you can then extend the speed to a slightly longer distance, until you can maintain the speed for the entire distance.  Maybe you can add a 1/4 mile per week of a faster pace.  On the bike practice riding as fast as you can for 3 minutes and then ride easy for 3 minutes.  Do as many repeats as you can until you can cover the entire 12 mile distance.  If you do that individually for each discipline during practice sets, then you will become used to moving at a faster pace.  This will carry over to your events and with the right mix of speed and endurance, your times will improve.  Good luck.

• runazrun Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    3. Oct 31, 2012 2:56 PM (in response to Marilyn Rojas)

I second what Ron said.  Definitely going faster in practice will help you with going faster in races.  Do interval work in all three disciplines.  You should be able to handle it now that you have a few years of endurance work under your belt.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...