Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

812 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 12:19 PM by BradW44
astra8183 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2012 2:01 PM

Running for weight loss

Hello everyone,

I am a 5'8, 137lb 29 year old female, always moderately active (training for 1/2 marathons, regular golf, hot yoga, etc. weekly) yet I noticed a 10 lb. weight gain that crept up on me over the past 2 years that I now cannot shake, even being more active than 'moderate'.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help this along?  I have always eaten well; processed foods have no place in my house, meals always fresh,etc.  I currently run approximately 18 miles a week, 3 hours of Vinyasa yoga (power flow) and still cannot get rid of these extra pounds.  I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so pronouned on my frame and I wasn't so active.  I appreciate any pointers or notes as to what I may be doing 'wrong'.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 22, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to astra8183)
    Running for weight loss

Most of the people that I coach are a bit older, so they are very familiar with this issue.  Typically small tweaks and a little bit of experimenting will do the trick.  The human bodies desire to maintain fat is rooted in the past when food was not so plentiful.  We were programmed to eat as much as we can whenever we can as a precaution against famine.  That being said, some people have bodies that just are not willing to let it go once it has arrived.  Thats where eating smaller, more frequent meals can help.  When you break up 3 daily meals into 5 or 6 smaller meals, you are sort of tricking your body.  When your body starts to become hungry, it will deliberately slow your metabolism in fear that there is no food.  By regularly eating the smaller more frequent meals, you are telling your body to keep your metabolism up, theres plenty of food.  And you should start it within minutes of waking up in the morning.  Even something as small as a grape and a glass of water will jump start your metabolism first thing in the morning.    In addition, I would highly recommend some additional cross training.  My favorite is mountain biking because it can be a whole body workout, but any resistance training will crank up your metabolism as well.  Last but not least, pay attention to the amount of carbs you are taking in.  I have found that lowering my carbs a small amount and increasing my protein intake makes a huge difference.  Everyone is different, but these are things that have worked for me.  Keep in mind that I am not a dietician, but have experimented and found what really works for me, maybe it can help you as well.  Good luck and keep me posted how you are doing.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points