Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

572 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 1:15 PM by BradW44
Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
Apr 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2012 4:18 PM

Training with kids

So my 6 year old has expressed an intrest in running and compleated her first 1k this weekend (6:30). She wants to do a 5k next spring and she is already to run 2k in practice without stopping (she couold have gone further but I cut her off at 2). My main concern though is over training her. I'm afraid that she will push herself to far and get injured. I'm going to limit her to the 10% rule, but I would love some suggestions to make sure that she trains smart and does not get injured.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 22, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to Lochbain)
    Training with kids

Wow!  Its pretty rare to find a child that young getting so into running that she has already set a goal for herself.  I HAVE seen 8 and 9 year olds at that level and they went on to become good runners in High School. My 2 older boys ran their 1st 5k at 8 and 9 years old.  That being said, you may consider keeping her at the 5k distance for a while and perhaps setting a distance limit that slowly rises as she grows.  Just an idea that I used with my kids.  It kept a goal in front of them.   I think the most important thing is to remember that YOU have to create the balance for her and it appears that is what you are already doing. 

Best of luck to you both and keep us posted on your progress!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points