Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

732763 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 ... 327 Previous Next
  • OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,200. Oct 22, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

OldCoyote & JustRunDan - CONGRATULATIONS, MARATHONERS!  I hope you both take time to bask in the Glory a while 

Dan, great new pic.

OC, is yours a new pic too?  I think I see an orange hat on your head.

LinusCatch,  MKayC & Rseil- CONGRATULATIONS on your Half Marathons as well! 

Linus, way to conquer those hills. 

Mary Kay - cannons and fireworks too?  Awesome!  You need to kick those little doubting voices right out of your head now.  Of Course you're stronger, way to kick it at the end!  Also, loved the color run photos.  I hope mine is that much fun.

Chell730 - CONGRATULATIONS on your 10k!

Debm - you're smart to take it easy on that ankle.  Save it for the race.

NHLA - so sad about your MIL. 

Melody - glad you're improving

Francessmom - I do my Sunday long runs in the morning but my weekday runs are in the evenings after work.  Weekday runs are also usually on the treadmill vs outdoors. 

HoundMom - nice run.

The weather around here was ideal for a run yesterday morning and I was so very happy to take advantage of that.  I did a very nice, comfortable (just shy of) 7 miles starting right after sunrise.  Temps were nice and the trees that still have leaves were nearly glowing in the sunlight. Gorgeous all around.

Stay Fearless my friends

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,201. Oct 22, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OshCat - yes, thanks for noticing the hat! Blaze Orange and a bright yellow Rennaisance sun for the win!

Linus - Great job on the RW half. It sounds like the whole weekend was lovely

RunDan - Right on! We now have 4 first time marathoners on here in 2 weeks.

Debm - I think you're right to rest.

NHLA - I'm feeling for you.

I can't stop talking about my marathon! Got the stats today:

13/26 in my age group (m45-49). Solid midpacker . 136/260 men, 194/464 overall. The split times were at weird distances: At the half marathon turnaround (6.55 miles), then a mat that you hit twice (at 14.2 and 20 miles), then at the finish. My splits were:

6.55 miles 01:09:12, 10:33 pace.

14.2 miles (7.65 miles difference) 01:16:57, 10:03 pace

20 miles (5.8 miles difference)00:55:29, 9:34 pace

26.2 miles (6.2 miles difference) 01:00:12, 9:40 pace.

I've really pigged out the past couple of days, and my gut is complaining. It's smaller than it used to be, and I guess I'm stretching it out. Taking it easy, doing a little stretching. I didn't sleep well last night, so I napped some today. I hope JustRunDan, MKayC, linuscatch, and RSeil are doing likewise

Run Free!

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,202. Oct 22, 2012 6:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congratulations to all who ran this weekend etc;

My wife and I did not run this weekend unless you count running with the top down in the MiniCooper peeping at the scenery in the Shenandoah valley  --  colors were perfect this weekend  --  My last run was GMU Family weekend 5k with my son  Finished in 37:04. 

Looking forward to Marine Corp Marathon 10K this coming sunday -

Skoal/Ogr44

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,203. Oct 22, 2012 7:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Weekend in northern NH -- beautiful foliage still there on the trees. Our leaves are mostly brown and on the ground. Ran 3 miles in the rain Friday (21:46), ran 4 miles in beautiful weather Sat. (33:28), and after work tonight did a nice progressive run on TM at work -- 4.5 miles 33:15, then added a .5 mile cooldown to make a complete 5 miles and a complete 40 minutes.

Looking for good weather for this Sat. night's "Night of the Running Dead" 5k. Hope 8 p.m. temperature is OK.

DebM..... way to go with the strong run!!!

Snerb .... Don't be sendin' any of that crappy weather my way.

NHLA..... I have a toenail turning slightly purplish lately. This one just grew back this summer.

A little behind on the updates, should get back on track this week. Those who ran races this weekend, I'll see results tomorrow. Hoping for good reports!

Have good days.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,204. Oct 22, 2012 8:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.2 miles 51 min. I was flying tonight and it felt easy.

OC eat some hangover food.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,205. Oct 23, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to NHLA)

justrundan linuscatch and mkayc CONGRATULATIONS!! So proud of you all and glad to hear the races went well. I loved hearing all the race reports and successes!

**High Five** team!

chell730 Great job on your 10K and a VERY respectable time too!

Debm2011 That was a smart move taking it easy on the ankle. Hope it is at 100% soon.

HoundMom 12MM is NOT so very slow in my book.

OshKat Nice 7 mile morning run.

Old Coyote You deserve to savor this moment and talk about it all you want! Seriously, I only ran ONE marathon, 35 years ago and I still see it as a major highlight in my life.

Ogr44 and jmsab23 Best of luck this weekend!

I'm honing in on the end of this nasty cold which "caught me" on the heels of my half marathon. I'll give myself until Friday to fully recover. Not too stressed, just miss feeling good. I have all winter to hit the roads again!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,206. Oct 23, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to chell730)

Official time posted, finished in 5:39:09, with second half being 10 minutes longer than the first.  Tony's prediction was very close!! Looks bad, but I'll take it.  Life has really been getting in the way of more posting, will try for a short rr tomorrow.

Chell-Way to go on the 10K.  Proud of you for pushing to the full distance.  also, private message sent your way tonight.  Blessings.

Mary Kay- way to push through the doubts on the HM.  Excellent.  Now take a little break Lady! 

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Aug 19, 2011
    4,207. Oct 23, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did some speed work intervals tonight on the TM. 6 x 400 @ 8.2 mph, with one minute jogs. Then 6 x 800 @ 8.5 mph with 2 minutes jogs.  Walked a little before one last mile, in quarters - 10 mph, 8 mph, 7 mph, 6 mph.

total distance 7.6 miles, 55:50.

JustrunDan and Coyote....... How long were your last runs?   26.2 freakin' miles!!!!!   Hearty congratulations to both of you!!!!!!!! Great work and dedication!!!

Linus..... Awesome work on the half.

DebM.... Care for that ankle.

Chell..... When in doubt, run an extra mile and a half or so, I always say.

Houndmom.... Maybe not necessary, but you could try a heating pad on the knees for 10-15 minutes before your run. I've done that in the past a few times just to get them warmed up and ready.

Mkay.... EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!! You persevered and believed in yourself!! But, I think the highlight of your whole post for me was when I read that you weren't hurting.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,208. Oct 23, 2012 10:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 48 min. Down and up Ecco Mtn.

Aug 19, 2011
    4,209. Oct 24, 2012 4:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.25 miles this morning in excellent weather. Included, at mile 1.5, a .75 mile uphill climb, which ends with a steep final 200 yards.  Checked out a local bird sanctuary/trail area in next town. Total mileage for perimeter loop is 2.2 miles, but I don't know what condition the trails are in. The pamphlet at the entrance says trails are OK for running. Something for future.

Everyone have nice days.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,210. Oct 24, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to jmsab23)

hello, all.  Thanks to all who responded with support and congrats on the HM this past weekend.  Your encouragement is greatly appreciated!

mkayc:  way to go on the HM!!!  Good things happen after a lot of hard work.  Be sure to give yourself a break at some point and rest up. 

chell:  nice job on the 10k, official or not.  You have made a lot of progress and your desire to keep pushing is inspirational.

rseil:  nice job on the HM!  Feels good now, doesn't it?

justrundan and coyote:  hope you are enjoying the time off and recovering.

houndmom:  how old are your shoes?  Pretty common to have knee problems when shoes break down over time or miles.

Still feeling pretty tired but satisfied with 2 HM's in last month.  When I downloaded this last one from my Garmin watch, I learned that there was over 700 feet of elevation gain over the course.  Hardly a flat, friendly course.  But that's OK, it was worth it.  Hope to get back to some form of running by this weekend.

Have a great running week, and stay fearless!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,211. Oct 25, 2012 6:06 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Linus - 700' is a lot.  I'd be satisifed too, you're a machine.

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been out running this week.  As my Wyoming trip nears it's soaking up all my time, add to that the completely crappy weather we've had here over the past week and the result is dust on the running shoes.    I keep telling myself that it's okay that life gets in the way once in a while, but it's still disappointing.  I knew this was going to happen as November neared too.  Fortunately I have managed to squeeze in a couple late night P90X workouts.

Cheers All!!!  Keep up the good mileage.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Feb 23, 2012
    4,212. Oct 25, 2012 6:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 61 min. Ecco Mt

Snerb; hunting knocks a dent in your training but its worth it.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,213. Oct 25, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to NHLA)

Erg, a few more days until I can run again! It will be nearly two weeks, and I can not wait! Getting sick sucks...period.

justrundan "Looks bad," <~ I think NOT! Its outstanding. Finishing a marathon is quite an accomplishment. Enjoy the high.

jmsab23 Nice treadmill work and the bird sanctuary sounds very cool! What's your next race? I'm hoping the Maine Half for next Sept. It will be me and hubby's 25/26

anniversary celebration-race-re-try since "life" got in the way this year.

linuscatch 2 HMs in a month is a lot! My HM was quite hilly too, but made for a great sense of accomplishment!

snerb True, " it's okay that life gets in the way once in a while, but it's still disappointing" I'm feeling the same way. We have to just shake it off, and remember its the over all journey. Right?

NHLA Awesome miles as always!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,214. Oct 25, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Greetings, all! I took 3 days of  rest before going out again.

It snowed last night, but the pavement is only wet. I did a 3-ish mile run at easy pace today, but that easy pace took a harder effort. I'm pretty beat up. Not a lot of DOMS, just tired. This is my first "winter" run of the season. The snow covering the fields around the lake was white and clean. There was no wind, so an inch of powder covers all of the trees, leaves, and fences.

The route around the lake can include a half mile through a bird sanctuary that's closed Feb-July for mating and nesting season. I ran through it this morning. No birds out, saw a lot of coyote scat on the trails. It's a sanctuary for something anyway.

As far as what I've been referring to in my personal life - Mrs C has some mental health issues. There's some stigma there, so I hadn't mentioned it. But she has been hospitalized, and when she entered the hospital she cut off contact with all her friends and family (including me) and disappeared, saying she wanted a divorce and everyone was trying to control her. I have some friends in law enforcement who helped me track her down  so I know she's physically safe, although no longer hospitalized. But I'm an emotional wreck, and I'm abiding by her wishes to be left alone. 

I just wanted to get that out there. Now I don't have to make cryptic comments anymore.

So, anyway, I ran my first marathon knowing that I would have nobody waiting at the finish line for me. Except for my constant companion, Jesus who is called the Christ, who pulled me through. I'm strong for a reason, not because of anything I did on my own.

Run free!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...