Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52771 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23 Previous Next
  • maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    165. Oct 24, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Well I went to the fabulous Cleveland Clinic today and I was NOT impressed.  The good news is that nothing is messed up, no broken bones, nothing torn or over stretched.  My x-rays and exam were completely normal.  What was so unimpressive was that the physician was NOT sports oriented. He was quite overweight and the first thing out of his mouth was "stop running".  I'm not stopping. Definitely not going to stop if nothing is wrong.  He asked me if I "wanted" physical therapy. I really thought someone would be giving me some kind of information on how to ease back into  running. I was not happy.  Interestingly though, I think perhaps the whole issue is from my knees getting misaligned because after he (the doctor) manipulated my knees, I haven't needed any ibuprofen.  I've been living on ibuprofen for 5 days, taking 600-800 mg every 6 hrs. Maybe I need to see a chiropractor. Maybe it's my shoes.

So in a nutshell, I'm going to start up again this week but jump back to week 4. I'm going to do strength and cardio on non run days. I found a running group nearby and I'm seeing if they are ok with a show poke.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    166. Oct 24, 2012 8:45 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

So I am getting nervous! I walked tonight since it is my off day. I wanted to run so I started to jog a little and my knees and feet were hurting. I kept walking and when my time was almost up I jogged a little and I was in pain again. I don't know what I am going to do. My first 5K is on Sunday. I was planning on coming on here to ask for advice on running alone in my very first 5K now I am panicking!

HELP!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    167. Oct 25, 2012 2:27 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

SGT SNESAVAGE, YOU SOB!!!  Went out this morning for W6D2 as usual.  I was doing my 5 minute warmup walk and the Sgt ran by going the same direction.  I proceeded to do my first 10 minute run, walked 3 minutes and finished up my last 10 minute run...when I heard "don't stop now you can keep going" from behind me.  My 10min - 3min - 10min morning turned into 10min - 3min - 10min - 45sec (walk) - 6min (run).  I feel great now but at the time I wanted to kill him.  We did slow down closer to my pace this time but he would not let me quit.  He did about 4 miles this morning and actually started catching up with me after I had turned around mid way through my 3min walk.  He said he was about 100 yards behind me and when I finished my last run he was still about 50 yards behind me so apparently the pace I was running wasn't as bad as I thought.

maureen0131, I actually changed doctors for a similar reason.  Any time I went to my previous doctor with any problem the first thing she said was that I needed to exercise more and lose weight.  In the meantime, she had to turn sideways to get through the door.  At one point I told her I wasn't losing any weight but that I had been going to the gym and going at a pretty good clip on the eliptical for an hour a day.  She told me I just needed to exercise more.  I couldn't exercise anymore, I was spending so much time on the eliptical that my nipples were literally bleeding by the time I was done.  At that point I found a new doctor who, when I told him the same thing, immediately wrote me a perscription to go see a nutritionist so my insurance would cover it.  My long way of saying...go find a new doctor.

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    168. Oct 25, 2012 7:03 AM (in response to jeb6294)

Hello everyone!  We're finishing W6 today.  2.75 miles. I can't believe I did it and had the nerve to speed up a little for the last quarter mile!!!!   I almost cried--happy tears on Tues.  Next week is the end of our C25K program. Nine weeks. I'm so proud of me and all my teammates. My first 5K is Nov. 1st. Wish me luck!

Anyway, Nicolette78 -- good luck on your 5K this Sunday!! Let us know how did you.  I'm sure you'll do well. Try some nice slow, deep stretching after your workout. Loosen those ankles. You already purchased some good shoes, right??  Gel insoles help me, too.

Hey Maureen0131, I'm glad nothing is broken or torn. I'm very surprised about the Clinic, really?  Isn't their Sports Clinic speciality bldg at Marymount off Transportation Blvd??  Yup. Find a new doc.

Shelly

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    169. Oct 25, 2012 7:10 AM (in response to maureen0131)

What a rediculous doctor! Gosh that annoys me so much! I don't think my knee pain was as bad as yours, but it lasted a few weeks (I think end of week 2 to beginning of week 4) until I got new shoes, and now I don't have any knee pain. I also had started doing some quad strengthening exercises for it, so maybe that helped too. I actually traded in the Asics I originally got from fleet feet for some more supportive Brooks sneakers. Apparently they are known in the running community for being really supportive. I also got some inserts to put into them from fleet feet as well. I can't remember if you already have good shoes though? If you are still in pain, I would go to a physical therapist!

Another thing that I did.. and I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I have been trying to run really slowly and focus on my form. If you just look up "running form" on the internet, I'm sure you can find good info.

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    170. Oct 25, 2012 8:20 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well, I was supposed to run today, but the weather is bad and my joints are complaining about that.  Hopefully the weather will be clear tomorrow and my body won't be so stiff. 

AlmightyD: It sounds like you are doing GREAT!  Are you running 3 miles without any walking breaks?  Sounds like you could skip ahead in the program to week 8 or 9.  To answer your question about races, I don't have anything planned yet.  I want to make sure I can run 3 miles before I sign up for one.

Maureen0131: Sorry to hear about your disappointing appointment, but glad to know that you don't have anything seriously wrong.  Keep us updatede on how you're feeling!

Nicolette78: Good luck on the race!  Let us know how it goes.

Shellyruns5: Congrats on your last week of the program!  Way to go!!

• Raynarunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    171. Oct 25, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I wanted to wish everyone luck with their future running endeavors!  I am out for now.  Maybe in a few weeks (or months?) when things heal up and feel a little better I'll have to see if anyone is starting the program then.  Great job everyone, keep it up!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    172. Oct 25, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Raynarunner: I'm so sorry you have to quit for now.  I hope you heal up quickly and come back to the program soon!

Oct 9, 2012
    173. Oct 25, 2012 6:00 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Well greenybeany, I was hoping it was my shoes but I have Brooks Glycerin 10 with inserts for people with high arches.  So I think my shoes are fine.  I am so sore all the time.  I just don't get it.  I haven't run since last Friday and I was hoping just a week would take care of this but I'm still having so much pain.  I am trying so hard not to get discouraged.  I am going to start strength training.  I know I need to but everyday the pain is so bad I can hardly walk sometimes.  I have no idea why if everything was fine with my xray's.  It just making me sad.  I'm scheduled to do a simple 2 mile walk for the American Heart Association on Saturday.  I originally thought, wow, I could just run the thing! but now...nope. I'll be lucky if I can walk it. 

I'll keep everyone posted. Keep up the good work. I hope I'm running again by next week.

Oct 9, 2012
    174. Oct 25, 2012 6:01 PM (in response to Raynarunner)

Rayna, I am so sad to hear you aren't able to continue.  I know how it feels.  I'm out for now too but I'm staying on this forum because I want to continue seeing the encouragement from everyone.  I hope to see you back on this forum in a few weeks and hopefully both of us will be feeling better and running again.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    175. Oct 25, 2012 9:16 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

It was a beautiful day so my 4 yr old and I stopped at a park with a running track after school and I got 2.5 mi in with a 2 min walk at the top of each mi. My 4 yr old wants to run the Jingle bell kids run in dec with me. I told her she had to run at least 1 time every week if she wants to do the race. She made it a little over a mile and then switched to her bike. Pushed too hard last tues so my knees are a little sore so PT did some things to help them and told me to take it a little easy this week, slower runs and to stop if they start to hurt.

Nicholette _  Good Luck! on your run!  I'll be anxious to hear how it went and what advice you have for the rest of us :-)

Rayna- so sorry you have to put your running on hold ( cause I'm not gonna say stop or give up)  Hope everything heals quickly and your back at it soon!   

Oct 4, 2012
    176. Oct 25, 2012 10:03 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement! I am so nervous to be running by myself and in the middle of the day... Two very frightening things for me. I never go anywhere alone and I always run at night on my deserted street. Not really excited to have my fat jiggling in front of everyone with no one to distract me from that fact.

I completed W4D2 tonight. I actually improved my time almost 3 minutes. So exciting! It took me 35'40" to finish my 5K. My previous best was 38'05".

It just dawned on me that if I start my time after I warm up instead of before I could actually do a lot better. So I am going to start my next run with 3 minutes of running, 2 minutes of walking, then continue the program as prompted. I should be able to (in theory) shave off 3 minutes. 

Does anyone know if there is a podcast that prompts you to run for 5 minutes, walk for 1:30 or 2 minutes and repeats? I should mention that I know nothing about podcasts or how to get/play one. ;-) That is my game plan for the race and it would be easier for me to have prompts. Thanks for any advice!

Oct 4, 2012
    177. Oct 25, 2012 10:10 PM (in response to Nicolette78)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Here is my run...

Attachments:
    Oct 9, 2012
    178. Oct 26, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Nicolette you are doing AMAZING!  you are running an 11 minute mile!  For a newbie, that is fantastic.  I'd stop worrying about people seeing you running.  You are doing way more than they are so they can't be judging you.  I don't think anyone is looking anyways! Thats my theory when I run.  I imagine everyone seeing me and saying "You Go Girl!"!  Seriously.  When I finish a run, I hear AlmightyD, GreenyBeany, Jeb and everyone else on this forum saying "YeeeHAWWWWW!"  We are all in this together so imagine us all with you and telling you that you are awesome...because you ARE!

So, I was looking at Nicolettes run on the Nike + app and I have a question.  Can you run both the Nike + app AND the C25K app at the same time?  I tried running a different app at the same time one day and it totally screwed up my C25K app and crashed it.  I had to reload the entire thing. Do you have to do one or the other?  I was thinking I would use the C25K training app and then switch to the Niki+ app when I'm actually doing a warm up and then running for 30 minutes.  I'm jumping ahead here as I can't even run yet, but refuse to stop!

• RunBinaRun Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2012
    179. Oct 26, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Nicolette - due to my schedule, i have to do all my running during the day outside (during my lunch break in Boston eep!) and at first I was really worried about people seeing me but that passes pretty quickly!

My run yesterday (w4d2) was roooough. Just one of those days where you don't feel 100% going into it....and you feel about 20% coming out of it haha. My body felt like it weighed 600 pounds and like i was barely moving. Blegh.  But despite all that, i managed to do better at it than w4d1 so its ok by me. Hopefully I won't feel like so much crap tomorrow.

Looks like I'll have to invest in some good waterproof running gear for next week if all the predictions about Hurricane Sandy hitting the northeast come true.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...