Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1120 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2012 1:24 PM by Rich in NH RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2012 2:18 PM

Runs & workouts, Thursday October 25, 2012

Today's workout was a 4 mile Nordic walk on the railtrail.  I'm beginning to think these walks are holding back my recovery, I could feel my foot burning after today's walk.  It's been feeling pretty good and I'm close to running again, maybe a break in these walks will put me over the top.

Dark Horse, are you keeping an eye on our weather?  They're forecasting the hurricane that's over the Bahamas to continue up the East Coast and turn left over New England.  There's a cold front coming in from the West and these 2 systems are expected to merge and generate a huge storm.  I hope they're wrong, but it bears keeping an eye on.

And what a senseless way for someone to die, at the hands of a careless snowmobiler.  The worst incident I had was a couple of years ago, XC skiing on the railtrail with a friend. We were halfway through a long slow curve, when out of nowhere a snowmachine came barreling down on us from the other direction.  He was going so fast the machine was sideways in the trail. 

My friend jumped off one side of the trail and I went off the other.  It was so close, I thought my buddy had been hit, but thankfully he was ok.   Through it all, the rider never backed off the throttle, but came at us wide open and never looked back as he sped away. 

Not all riders are like this, but the ones that are, are extremely dangerous. 

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Oct 25, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

I could feel my foot burning after today's walk.  It's been feeling pretty good and I'm close to running again

Rich, heh, good luck with that. It's been four years for me, and I still feel it in my heel every day. At least I can run a little now, but if I was still teaching, I sure wouldn't be able to run.

Gym workout:

Stretching

100 pushups

100 situps

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• justamaniac Legend 189 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Oct 26, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

I've been fighting plantar fasciitis for a while and I'm happy to share what seems to be working for me:

- I do stretch, but carefully and not extreme.  I sit and cross my injured foot up to me knee and then use my hand to pull my big toe back, maybe even my first two toes.  I'll also massage the instep while stretching. I repeat this 5-6 times for about 10 minutes, and try to remember to do it several times throughout the day.

- I found that taping, vs an ace bandage, has worked wonders!  I did some internet searching and found a method that works for me (I'd share the link, but I lost it....).  The taping seems to provide a very nice level of support.

- the last thing I can offer is that after running or having been on my feet for a long time, I immerse my foot in the sink with cold water and load it up with ice.  Much more effective than rolling my foot on a frozen bottle.  Then I warm my foot up with towels and dang, it feels good.

The taping has probably been the watershed moment for me.  It's been a big help.  Even though the youtube videos all have a trainer applying the tape, I've had to figure out how to do it myself (my wife doesn't have the patience to deal with my injuries...) - it's a little awkward, but very do-able.  And you will feel the difference immediately.

Good luck with it...

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

6/17/2012      AA HM      2:09:01

6/3/2012       DexAA HM    2:00:31

3/11/2012          St Pat's 5K          0:25:42

11/10/2011          A2TT 10K          0:52:27

10/9/2011          Chicago Marathon        4:49:55

9/3/2011          Milford 30K      DNF  (cramped out at 14m)

6/25/2011          Solstice 10M     1:27:15

6/5/2011          DexAA HM      1:58:53

5/1/2011          BP10K       0:51:58

10/17/2010          Detroit HM  2:06:19

6/6/2010          Dex-AA HM    2:09:30

• justamaniac Legend 189 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Oct 27, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Sorry for the day in replying -

The tape I use is standard "Sports Tape" and although it seems to be ok to get wet, I don't make a habit of letting it stay wet.

I apply it daily, and it always feels good to do so.

Its a pain in the rear to do it daily, but I have felt that perhaps it would be better to sleep without it.  Could be that I'm wrong, won't be the last time that has happened.

-b

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...