Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

540 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 5:36 PM by brndog RSS
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2012 2:36 PM

Runs & Workouts, Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sorry for being inactive last few days, but felt the hamstring needed rest.  Probably not the best, should of walked or done a recovery run, but sometimes life gets in the way.

13.1 miles of racing today.  Was hoping for 1:50, but came in at 1:53:07.  34th overall and 6th in AG.  This was a trail run (along the bay) and I paid dearly for it (vibram bikilas).  Mile 6-10 were brutal and then mile 11.5 - 12.5 as well.  Temps around 70F by the end so kind of warm too.  Garmin got my first 10K in under 50, so I kind of achieved that goal, but did the last 5K at a 9:11 pace.  Think the course and the heat got to me mentally.  Got a 5 miler coming up on Wednesday also along the bay, might have to wear real shoes this time...

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 27, 2012 4:05 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Isn't this your first half, Ray?  Seems like I remember it is.  That's a good time, especially given today's race conditions.  Good for you!

The worst part about being injured is the beautiful weather we're having right now.  Temps in the 50's and 60's with just a slight breeze and I'm having a pity party because I can't run in it.  Oh well... sigh

Anyway, I rode the mtn bike for 6 miles on the railtrail in 28:57earlier today, then spent 10 minutes on the Nordic Track machine a little while ago.  The Nordic Track is an experiment, I've read it's one way to increase blood flow to an ailing foot without aggravating it, so I'm going to give it a try.

Hey Ray, I noticed the other day the Giants were up 2 -zip over Detroit.  I'm not following the series, but your guys are off to a good start.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Oct 27, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Good race, Ray. Sounds like you placed well, especially in AG.

Good workout, Rich. The more you can stay off the bad foot, the sooner it will heal. I don't know anything about blood flow. I would just suggest, stay off it, and avoid any exercise that puts pressure on the heel. Biking may be OK, if you are pressing on the pedal with your forefoot. At the end of every day, whatever you did that day, you might consider icing the bad heel to reduce inflammation. But I'm not a doc; I just know what has seemed to help me. At night, of course, you should be wearing one of these boots, I don't think anyone would argue with that:

Gym workout for me:

Stretching routine

100 pushups

100 situps

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    3. Oct 28, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Good run Ray.  Was it the rocks etc that got your feet with the Vibram?  Curious how minimalist shoes work for that type terrain.

It basically sucks to have foot pain, DH and Rich.  Not the way it is suppose to be, in a perfect world. A guy joined us for golf one day and he turned out to be the trainer for the Timberwolves. I asked him why knee injuries took so long to heal.  He said it was the lack of blood flow in tendons and ligaments.  A current Timberwolf, Brandon Roy, had little cartilage in his knees and retired last year. He had some type of plasma injection in his knee, like Kobe Bryant had, and is now playing ball again. I wonder if that type of thing is suitable or available for planar fasciitis? Maybe the increased plasma speeds up healing?

Ran a slow 10 miles today, just felt a little heavy legged, but cardiovascular wise was fine. I wonder if the slow down as we age is leg muscle related versus cardio?.  Anyway, got 22 miles in this week, so am still tracking my training plan more less.

Good luck on the storm, guys!

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...