Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49397 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23 Previous Next
  • greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Oct 28, 2012 9:31 AM (in response to Nicolette78)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Good luck! I have the same worries about doing a race so I can't wait for you to get back and tell us ALL of the details! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Are you going to run the whole thing??

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    196. Oct 28, 2012 4:13 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well, I did W5D1 today.

The run itself was great, I could not believe how short the 5 minute runs felt.

But, I'm depressed. I noticed some significant lateral (outside) ankle pain, and I actually had to limp when I got home. I'm pretty sure it's peroneal tendonitis. I've RICED it, and I will continue to do so. Is anyone familiar with this?

I don't know if I should quit running or not, but I REALLY don't wan't to. I've found something I'm good and, and I enjoy it. Plus, I've never felt so good about myself. What to do?

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    197. Oct 28, 2012 5:17 PM (in response to greenybeany)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I did it! I completed my first 5K today. I even beat my goal of 35 minutes despite the fact that there were at least 6 hills to climb and the wind was blowing like 20 mph! I finished in 34:07! I am so proud and excited that I did it. I won a 3rd place medal for my age group. I will try to post a pic later. 

That was my FB status... Here are the details.

I thought I was going to die... Twice! Lol. There were 4 huge hills and two that felt huge but probably were moderately sized. It was only 55 degrees today and the wind was blowing about 20 mph. I forgot to start my Nike + app so i didn't know my time or pace or anything. Which totally threw me off. The C25K app did not coincide very well with the hills so I couldn't follow the W5D1 schedule (I wanted to run 3 min walk 2 during warm up then follow prompts during my run) I just ended up running on flats and downhill and walking up hills. I have to admit that I kinda gave up after the halfway point. I didn't know my time and didn't think I was going to finish in 35 mins. Fortunately there was a guy that told me it had only been 29 mins and we had .6 miles to go so I turned it on. I had to slow down some to go down the massive hill we had climbed previously but I picked it up again and finished strong. I couldn't stop smiling when I saw the clock at 33:?? I threw my hands up when I went under the clock just like in the movies! Lol it was amazing! I felt exhilerated! I'm sure everyone was laughing at me but I didn't even care! It was awesome! I can't wait for the next one! I met some really nice people too so hopefully I will have some people to run with in the next ones. I am going to try to do at least one a month.

I now understand the term runners high! I am officially a runner. I can't wait to see how much better I will be when I lose another 35 lbs. i wrote my weight the date and my time on the back of my number to keep in a scrapbook. I am going to look back at that one day and remember how I felt when I became a runner.

I am so excited to see if you guys feel the same way when you complete your first 5K! Thanks for all of your kind words and encouragement!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    198. Oct 28, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Wow!!!!!!   That is so awesome Nicolette!!!!!    I have been checking here all day to see if you posted.    I was feeling a little discouraged about the jingle bell run in dec when someone told me it is really popular and big and very overwhelming for a first run, but after your post maybe I will give it a try.So glad this was such a great race for you!!!!

Oct 4, 2012
    199. Oct 28, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to almightyD)

You should definitely do it! Next time (love that) I will start at the back and make sure I have my Nike+ app running to keep my pace. I am so excited to do my next run!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    200. Oct 29, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all,

Maripossa24: I don't have any real advice except perhaps to cut back on exercise for a few days or a week to see if the pain goes away.  Keep us updated!

AlmightyD: So sorry to hear about your flu.  What a bummer.  Get well fast!

Nicolette78: Congrats on your first race!!  How exciting!

As for me... just finished W7D3.  I can't believe how far I've come.  I felt really sluggish this morning so I told myself I could stop after 4 laps (1 mile) if I wanted.  Reached the 1 mile mark and thought, "That was easy," so I just kept going.  Then I realized... I actually thought it was easy to jog 1 mile!  Wow.  A few weeks ago I couldn't imagine doing 2 laps.  So I finished my run, albeit slowly, but I'm not concerned with how long it takes me.  The run today wasn't anything like my first day of week 7, which was really, really difficult for me.  In fact, I am pretty certain I can add another lap next time.  Or at least part of another lap.

Have a good week everyone!

Oct 4, 2012
    201. Oct 29, 2012 6:37 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Thanks! Congrats on completing week 7!

Dec 14, 2007
    202. Oct 29, 2012 6:54 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I was waiting shoes on ready to fly out the door when my husband got home from work tonight!   " love ya honey bye!"  :-)   Jumped to week 7d1   oh a run has never felt so good!   first 10 min muscles were a little shaky but after that i didn't really want to stop  (it's all those great breathing articles everyone has shared)  .   I am definitely ready for  class tomorrow ! having cleared the cobwebs out of my chest.   Who ever thought I would look forward to running :-)

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    203. Oct 29, 2012 10:52 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I also did w7d1 this morning.  I'm starting to think that getting started is the hardest part, especially when you have just taken those two days off.  I was so anxious to get my run in this morning that I was up half an hour before my alarm getting ready...well that and the fact that last night I was so bored I went to bed at 8:30.  I was doing the exact same thing; felt sluggish, out of breath after a few steps, telling myself that I need to at least make it to this certain point.but then maybe I'll take a little break.  By the time I made it to my designated spot I felt a lot better and I finished out my 25 minutes.  I even managed to pass a couple people in the last few minutes.  My average pace for my overall walk/run was about 30 sec less than w6d3, but I'm sure part of that is that there is less talking in the Podcast before you start the interval so I just wasn't walking quite as much.  I'll have to see if I can get out to the prison and get my Nike+ uploaded to know for sure.

Yesterday I was doing my morning walk since it was an off day.  When I'm walking I just put the music on shuffle and listen to whatever.  About midway through it just happened to start playing week 1 of the Podcast I use.  I was about to skip to the next song but then I figured I'd listen for a few minutes.  I could not believe how short those running segments were, but at the time I thought each one was the longest minute ever.  Now it seems like I just finished hearing it beep to start running when it is beeping to go back to walking again.  It was a really nice way to see how much progress I, and everyone on this thread, have made in just a few weeks.

• RunBinaRun Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2012
    204. Oct 30, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

hope everyone faired the storm ok if you were in the path! i'll be starting week 5 tomorrow.  my last run was saturday (i usually do saturday, tuesday, thursday) but because its still pretty wet and there's tons of slippery leaves down i'm going to push it until tomorrow. i think that will be my biggest no-running break since i started! it'll be interesting to see how my body feels after some down time.

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    205. Oct 30, 2012 8:25 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hey Everybody!

Good job Nicolette, that sounds like it was an amazing experience!!!! I’m still a little apprehensive, but I need to sign up for that reindeer run and see what all thefuss is about, haha!

As for me… I’m having a big bump in my gung-ho motivational attitude for the first time... though I'm sure (hoping) I will get over it soon.. it's just annoying! I did W6D3 yesterday. I figured I shouldn’t run outside during the Hurricane, so Iran on the treadmill (my mom’s) for the very first time! WOW, was that terrible!!! I felt like I was standing in my own sweaty smelly-ness, and I freaking knocked the key-thing so I had to restart the treadmill three times during my run! I guess I prefer the motivation of “oh, wow I am a mile and a half away from my house, and there is only one way I can get home… guess I have to keep going!”whereas you can just push a button on the treadmill and you are done whenever you want to be. It’s also helpful to be tethered to a dog running ahead of you, who seems like it could keep running at a good pace for hours! Haha. I hope that winter running is easy to adapt to, because I am afraid I might lose motivationif I have to choose between freezing cold or boring treadmill. This is the first time I have felt so negative about  running… and now that I am onto the only running, no walking portion… it just feels different! It feels like less of a “plan”and more like a “okay just go run now!” (which has never worked for me in the past). To those of you who are at this point… any suggestions on staying motivated? Maybe I would be motivated if I went back tothe fleet feet store and used my $15 dollar coupon to buy something nice forwinter running, haha.

Dec 14, 2007
    206. Oct 30, 2012 8:08 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Had an AWWWWWSOME!!!!  running class tonight!!!!   I was joined by a man (not in the class)  who ran with me. After 10 min he stopped me relaced my shoes,oh man who knew your toes weren't suppose to fall asleep during your run.   He kept giving me little tips the whole way and when I was done  I looked at my Nike program and I had increased my best pace of 17 to a 14.2 average pace and I didn't even know it.  He was a little concerned that the teacher never once checked to see if I was ok and asked how I like the class and I told him it was very negatively motivating, but motivating. He said he would run with me every tues that he could,  Found out he is the owner of the running store where we start our class.   Ran 3.2 mi.

Dec 14, 2007
    207. Oct 30, 2012 9:20 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Greenybeany-  ask at that local store , when you go in to use you 15$ coupon :-) if there is a C25k or beginning running group around.   Having someone to run with and people you know are running when your not meeting up with them is a great motivation to get your butt out there and hopefully you'll find a group that is positively motivating. 

Oct 4, 2012
    208. Oct 30, 2012 9:29 PM (in response to almightyD)

Congratulations on you run. that is a huge difference in pace. I would love to hear all of those fabulous tips! I  tried running using the chi running form that everyone online has been talking about. It did not work for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Idk. My knees, shins, feet and ankles are all sore now. I am now firmly on the side that says run however feels natural to you to run injury free. I will not be trying that again!

Oct 4, 2012
    209. Oct 30, 2012 9:56 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I completed W5D1 tonight. I was doing my warm up walk and when i got to the end of my street two dogs ran out barking at me. I  went back home talk to my husband about changing my route ( I run at night so he checks on me a couple times) I forgot to pause my run SO my pace is way off.  I tried the chi running form and I am incredibly sore. I did break my fastest mile record and my fastest 5K record. That was when I was running normally though. After I changed my form I was not running as fast.

Attachments:
1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...