Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2141013 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 708 709 710 711 712 ... 760 Previous Next
  • s1rGr1nG0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,635. Oct 20, 2012 8:16 PM (in response to Nicolette78)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Cotterk: I've only been running for just over a week. I'm averaging about 3-4 miles per run. About three nights ago I ran the first mile without stopping. It has been YEARS since I was able to do that. When I started I was really trying to focus speed and increasing my pace. After reading here and some other message boards I found out that if I actually SLOW DOWN my avg pace increased and I could run further with fewer walk breaks. Weird....  So the first night after reading that I slowed my pace down and I ran 3.9 miles. I had a PR avg pace, distance ran, and 5k!! On the spur of the moment I ran again last night, (two nights in a row), and although I didn't do quite as well as the night before I still ran 3.9 with a pace of 12:37. My ultimate goal I am working towards before I go on R&R in December is to get my 5K down to around 30 minutes +/- and my weight to about 220. I'm not sure how much I currently weigh but I'm guessing about 230, (MAYBE 228), but finding a scale here in Afghanistan is difficult. There is probably one in the gym but going to the gym with a bunch of US Marines who are half my age and have muscles on top of muscles does not appeal to me at all!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    10,636. Oct 20, 2012 9:21 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I know exactly where there are two scales here at BAF but I ain't getting on them.  They are both right next to each other at the big gym and they conveniently put them right in front so that half the gym can watch if they want to.  I thought about getting one from Amazon next time I order a batch of stuff so I have one in my room, but I may just be content with going by how my clothes are fitting.

Nicolette78, be careful you're not cutting too many calories especially now that you are getting more exercise.

• CharliiJean Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2012
    10,637. Oct 24, 2012 10:24 PM (in response to AmandaGanza)
    200+ Pound Club!

Noob here. I was just going to lurk for awhile. Then I read Amanda's post. Tough Mudder wow you are my hero and an inspiration.

• CharliiJean Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2012
    10,638. Oct 25, 2012 2:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey, I'm new here. I haven't started the C25K yet, I plan to in November. I am 40, 5'4" and 220 lbs. 5 months ago I found out that I have type 2 diabetes, so changes were mandatory. I never wanted to be a runner, but have always admired them. I want to run a trail 5K in June and eventually run a marathon. I think. I have big dreams. Honestly, the idea scares me. Any advice or words of wisdom would help and be greatly apperciated.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,639. Oct 29, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

finished the MCM 10K yesterday in 1:19:00.  So far the knee feels good and I have to go check the scale before I dig in!  hope everyone stays dry - Waiting for Sandy to push thru the area...

@CharliiJean - start out slow and build into your workouts - also get good pair of shoes!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• HeavyRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 29, 2012
    10,640. Oct 30, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to cotterk)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All,

I stumbled across this thread quite by accident.  Great thread and it's nice to know there's more 200+ lb runners out there besides me.

@ cotterk - Congrats on your first 5k!  I ran my first last October and it was a blast.  You asked about speed vs stamina.  I'd suggest not worrying about speed at all - that will come.  Concentrate on running with good form and, once a week, push your distance just a little.  If you're running 2 miles 3 or 4 times a week, try a 2.5 or 3 miler on the weekend.  That will help your stamina.  Try and make a conscious effort to concentrate on a smooth form with strides that aren't too long - the speed will take care of itself.

If you can't resist the need for speed, try running short sprints during your regular runs.  Pick a landmars like a couple of telephone poles and put the hammer down between them, then return to your regular pace.  Once you've recovered, do it again.  This worked for me and got my speed up.

Check out my ramblings if you like....

http://runheavy.blogspot.ca/2012/10/im-runner.html

• EricDickey Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2012
    10,641. Oct 31, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all! 

Thought I would introduce myself and join the thread.  I'm Eric Dickey and I'm a newbie runner.  I had a sleeve gastrectomy (weight loss surgery) June 19 of this year with a starting weight of 371 and after a little over 4 months of diet and lots of exercise I am down to 250.  I started running about 2 1/2 months ago, started the C25K program and just finished it a couple of weeks ago.  I have run two 5K races so far: my very first was the Plano (TX) Balloon Festival 5K, where I finished it in a time of 34:27:55 and came in 315 out of 756 runners and my second (but not the last race I will run) was the Lost Dog 5K held at White Rock Lake (Dallas, TX) where I finished in a time of 33:12:40 and placed first in my age and weight divisions.  I am about to sign up for a few more before the end of the year and I am planning on running a half marathon by September of next year, if not sooner.

Right now I am currently working on distance over speed in my training, and am running an average of 4.5 to 5 miles at a time, 4 to 5 days a week, trying to maintain a pace of 10:30 per mile.

Anyway, it was nice to find this thread and it's even better to know there are a lot of people in the 200+ pound range who do run!  Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Eric

• jlr0726 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2012
    10,642. Oct 31, 2012 7:56 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello Everyone.  I'm new here.  Just ran my first 2 5k races in October and planning another one this Saturday.  I am 39 and in January 2012, I weighed in at 280 pounds.  Since then, I've lost 60 pounds.  In July, I decided I wanted to run as I have NEVER been able to run (being heavy all my life).  The first 5K I did was called a Color Run.  It wasn't timed, there was no pressure, people were of all fitness levels.  The 5K I finished last weekend (Monster Dash) was horrendous.  It mentally about finished me off. =)  It was almost an entire mile longer (so a 6K) and my time was WRETCHED!  I was SO SCARED I was going to finish last that the last mile to 1/2 mile, I began to cry.  However, I finshed!!!  This weekend, I'm hoping to fight the battle in my mind and keep my spirits up REGARDLESS of the outcome.  I WILL FINISH. 

It is good to read here to not focus too much on the time, that eventually that will come.  I workout w a trainer 2x a week, and am trying to improve my fitness levels.  Time will tell but FINALLY I can say - I'm a runner!!  A mile is a mile, is it not??!! 

Whew, gotta love it!! 

Starting Weight - 01/01/2012 - 280 pounds

Current Weight - 220 pounds

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Color Run 5K - 10/06/2012

Monster Dash 5K - 10/20/2012

Determination Run 5K - 10/27/2012

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    10,643. Oct 31, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Was over by the gym this evening when I was over that way for hand-2-hand combat training class.  Since I was in shorts and a T-shirt rather than full uniform and boots I figured I'd jump on the scale on my way through.  The scales are those type that you see in the Dr's office.  I slid the weight up to the 300-lb mark and got on the scale just to see what would happen.  I had a serious "Oh S---!" moment when the arm of the scale didn't budge.  I felt a little batter when I moved it back down to 0-lb and got off the scale and the arm still didn't budge...guess it was broke/stuck.  I still felt bad enough that I didn't want to even try the other scale.  Maybe next time.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    10,644. Nov 2, 2012 9:59 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

It's nice to see some new people on here. I have some weight loss questions. I started at 225. I am currently 185. I am 5'6". My ideal weight is 135-145. I seem to be only losing 1-2 lbs a week. I am only eating 1200 cal/day. I run 5K 3 days a week. Why am i not losing weight more quickly? Does anyone have any advice? I feel like I could run a lot faster and farther if I lost another 30 lbs.  I just completed my first 5K on Oct. 28th  my time was 34:07. My goal was 35 so I was ecstatic! I need to do better than 32' in order to beat the two girls who finished ahead of me in my age group. They are friends and train together. We are supposed to be doing another 5K together and I really want to win! Is there anything I can do at my current weight to increase my speed?

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    10,645. Nov 3, 2012 4:36 AM (in response to Nicolette78)
    200+ Pound Club!

2lbs a week is really ideal to lose &keep it off. Just look how far you have come and keep it up.

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    10,646. Nov 3, 2012 4:47 AM (in response to Funat50)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just started w4 and was thrilled that I finished it. My pants are looser and I feel better than I have in years. Yes my muscles ache on running days, but It is so worth it. I finally got on a scale at work for the 1st time since July and I am down 14lbs. That all came off since starting c25k in late Sept. I can't believe that I am sitting here wishing my husband would get up so we can go run. Yeah me!

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    10,647. Nov 3, 2012 11:33 PM (in response to Funat50)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the encouragement!

• quallsb72 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    10,648. Nov 7, 2012 7:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

This is my first post.  I am currently a 6' male at 236 lbs at 40 years old.  Im down from 267 lbs from May.  Ive yo yoed a bit however im in a groove.  I actually weighed at one point just under 300 lbs.  I started riding a mountain bike in Feb and then transitioned to road biking in May and started to "run" a little.  My 5k running times were at just under 40 min.  However after 3 sprint tris, 2 dualathlons and Muddy Buddy race and 3 5k races, as I stated I am getting in a routine. The reason for the races is for motivation which I lack much of.  I need a reason there thats why I sign up for them. My motto is what I call "JFB"  (Just finish baby).  Getting back to thr primary reason for my post is that if I can do it anybody can.  My current times on my 5ks have dropped tremendously in the past 4 to 6 weeks all of a sudden.  Im posting low 25 to mid 26 minutes finishes,  Its coming together.  I was platueing at around 244 lbs forever so I looked at my caloric intake (I love food) and began to watch that much ckoser with the help of the Fitness Pal app on my phone.  It helped tremendously!  I ddint realized how much the little stuff added up.  I say all of this, get up get out, one step at a time, one day at a time!  If you fall off the wagon for a period, get back on.  Find something that works.  I personally didnt follow the C25k however its a proven plan.  I can gaurantee this,  IF YOU ARE OUT THERE DOING SOEMTHING, YOU ARE LAPPING THE ONES ON THE COUCH NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TIME IS.  My motto, JFB!

Brian Q

• HeavyRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 29, 2012
    10,649. Nov 14, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to Funat50)
    200+ Pound Club!

Way to go Funat50, you too Nicolette!  That's some great progress.

For added speed, try some short bursts/sprints during your training runs.  Limit them at first and keep good form so you don't over do it - these will help build speed.  I usually train at 5k during the week and when I sprinkle in these sprinting intervals I find it makes a difference.  I run at an easy pace, and then at some point I pick a couple of land marks like telephone poles and sprint between them, then return to an easy pace.  I do that 4 to 6 times during the 5k and it works for me.

I moved my ramblings to the following location.  Latest installment is hot off the press...

http://ckharding.wordpress.com/ 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...