Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8386 Views 54 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 2:01 AM by psammead RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • cheeseheads86 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 8, 2012

great job BradenMommy!!!  im gonna be starting week 4 this week myself.  kinda dreading it cause i guess theres a 5 min run or in there.  Well good to see you back and keep it up. 

• psammead Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011

Yay  BradenMommyof5. I'm sure'll you'll be ahead of me once you get going properly.

I started Week 4 yesterday. Managed a 3 minute jog fairly easily and then a 5 minute one wasn't too bad but I could only manage 2 minutes of the 2nd 3 minute jog and couldn't get started again So I think Week 4 is probably going to take me more than one week. But on a positive note, no way could I have jogged for 5 minutes when I started so I'm not going to be put off.  One thing here is the clocks have gone back so it's no dark at 5 but in good news, less chance of anyone I know seeing me

• Momrocs Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012

Hi everyone.  I'm Karen.  I am starting week 4 today!  I'm a little nervous going from the 3 minute to the 5 minute runs!  It has taken me three tries to get past week two so I'm ahead of the game this time.  I did my first 5K, Color Me Rad, in September.  It took me approximately 50 minutes.  Even though I wasn't ready, I was really excited to be part of the running crowd and I think it pushed me to be more dedicated. 

I'll let you know how it goes today!

Apr 24, 2011

Fantastic BradenMommy. Are you finding it easier second time around?

Well, I officially suck at W4 and have achieved slightly less each time . So I'll forget this week and do it again next. Googling around though, I find I'm not alone and W4 is a big leap for a lot of people. I'm telling myself that at least I'm getting out in the fresh air and getting puffed and sweaty which can't be a bad thing (and probably provides some harmless amusement for anyone who sees me ). I'm trying to go a slightly different route each time and I'm amazed at how many little shops and pubs there are within a two mile radius of me that I'd never noticed before. So that's good.

How is everyone else doing?

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012

Thanks for the welcome! I completed W5D2on Thursday. I actually extended my run by continuing to run for 10 minutes and walking for 3. Then I walked for 2 minutes and finished my 5K running  (during cool down and after my podcast was over) I completed it in 33:??. A new PR for me. 

Heads up. I have run since the end of Sept without injury. I decided to try the chi method of running on Monday to improve my speed and it killed me! My legs, feet, and ankles were excutriating . I am now fully convinced that you should run however feels natural to you. Just listen to your body and adjust accordingly. Be careful anytime you make changes to your form.

To those of you who are concerned about transitioning to the longer run times; do not get discouraged! You can do it! I could not run for 60 secs when I first started. I completed my first 5K on Oct. 28 in 34:07. It was amazing! There were huge hills and it was cold and windy but I did it! You can too! When I started walking I weighed 215. I had previously weighed 225. I now weigh 185. If I can do it at my size anyone can.

Apr 24, 2011

Anyone got some good news stories because I'm struggling a bit. I was goign to repeat W4 this week but now I've got swollen glands. Not life-threatening but I do look like a chipmunk and it's uncomfortable rather than painful. I read that exercise would be good - getting the heart racing and blood pumping so I did go out today but could only manage a couple of three minute jogs. I suspect of got another week of not being 100% fit so I'l go out anyway and get back on the programme properly in a week or so.

But good news is that my calves and the back of my thighs definitely feel slightly harder than they used to.

How is everyone else?

Apr 24, 2011

I got a bit bogged down in Week 4 and just couldn't do more that one 5 and one 3 minute run. So I just plodded along, doing my best for a couple of weeks and then suddenly realised I wasn't completely exhausted after five minutes and ploughed on for NINE MINUTES. I was so proud of myself. I even managed a 5 minute run afterwards. So yesterday I did W5D2 and was fine. Well, OK - I'm not sure many people would have identifying what I was doing towards the end as as actual running, and I don't think any Olympians will be threatened by my 15 minute miles but for the first time I am beginning to feel confident I can complete the programme even if it takes more than 9 weeks. Though 20 minutes tomorrow? That is still a scary thought...

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...