Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

997665 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 ... 315 Previous Next
  • justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-  Are you doing the entire Great Lakes Series races, or just select ones?  It would be fun to do one together and then have lunch with your DH and my DW.  If I plan ahead I should be able to get to one or more of those.

Nice easy 2 mile jog this morning with the full moon lighting the road.  31 and breezy, so the layers are needed.  I'm feeling lazy after the marathon and had to push myself out of bed at 4:45 this morning!  No races planned soon, maybe I'll have to work on a near term goal to push myself.

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• SaundraR Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012

I love this blog. Very encouraging and I like the info being shared. About to get back into my walking routine before resuming some jogging. Want to restart my c25k routine also as I was out of town for a conference and did not have time before or during the conference to do anything. Was going to attempt 2 more 5Ks before end of year but I'm really not ready yet so will start over. Plenty of time to do more 5ks in 2013. In meantime, walking will keep me active. Got to see if my gym has re-opened following Hurricane Sandy here in Jersey so I can get in some strength training. Weight loss is my primary goal and getting and maintaining good health. I'm doing things at 64 that I would not have considered when I was 30 and loving every minute.ON A MISSION.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Debra - Philly will be a blast if it's up to me. It's always good seeing DD, even the hard parts. Thanks.

8 mi. Is a great run, particularly in this weather! Winter's not just in the Great Lakes. Had to brush snow off the car Tues. morning. This morning my coffee cooled down in the wind just from walking from my car to the building. ;-(

Steve - I'll have a cheese steak if I can't get roast pork. DD lives walking distance to Pat's & Gino's so I may have to make the trip. With so much good food and so little time, a person has to draw the line. Can't say the same about Cincy. Best foods here: Graeter's black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream, Busken's Chess Pie, a three-way or four-way at Skyline, Moerlein OTR, a KY Hot Brown and breakfast with goetta. Each one more is unhealthy than the next. I am not kidding. Google them. Actually, poutine, burgers and brats are big here in porkopolis, too. With beer. Of course.

Sorry the storm was holding temps down. Good thing you had all those leaves to rake, huh? J/k.

Tony - I've had similar problems with Active.com and its very frustrating. I just keep trying and eventually I'm able to do what I want, sometimes at 4 am.  Re Philly, last time I ate at Pat's but wasn't impressed. My fav is DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market but I'd eat Tony Luke's with broccoli rabe or spinach any day! It's the bread. I've never had bread that good in any other city. The only thing that came close was bread from the Cuban delis in

So will you be running or run/walking when training for your HM? You completed your full with intervals? To get a time under 2 hr. you need a 9mm pace or less. Can you do that with walk breaks? I'm asking because I run/walk and am trying to decide whether to train for a full or try to stretch my running for a faster HM, or both. I'm tempted to try a full first. Now that you've done both, any suggestions?

Dan - any mileage outside in the cold at 4:45 is a win!!

Saundra - Good luck! I'll be 64 in January and am hoping to run my first full marathon. Stick with it. Beginning is the hard part.

Ran Sat., Mon and Tues on the TM at the gym because I'm a weather wimp or was sick or just tired. IDK. Had some kind of breakthrough, though. Sat. I struggled through 2 mi. Monday's run was just 4 mi. at a 14 mm (2:1 at 12:45:17:00) but felt like slogging through mud. The TM said my hr was 125-140 and hovered around 135 (high). Last night would have been speed training so I tried to simulate by running 0.25 mi. and jogging 1 min. It ended up being 3:1 at 11:30:16:20 or a 12:42 mm. I quit after an hour because it was 8 pm. I felt strong the whole time, could have gone faster, could have gone longer and my hr never registered above 125. I don't know what made the diff, whether I was sick or race worn but my hr showed (and I felt) that 24 hr.after two recovery runs and I am back. Interesting.

Run strong and fearless!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Hello everyone!!! I have the best intentions of getting in here more often to catch up and post, but alas...it never seems to happen!

McKay!!! Good luck with the Philly HM and have a great visit with your daughter. I have finally learned to save my breath trying to convince my daughter what she needs to do for her future! LOL She is like her Mom..she is going to do whatever she wants to do not matter whan anyone else says. LOL  You are winding down your race season and mine is just starting. It is so hot here from May till October it is hard to do races because of the heat and actually there are very few events in that time frame. Everything picks up October - December and then Feb-April and then we just try to stay cool! LOL

Debra! Fantastic 10K time!!! You go Girl!!!

Tony! I am sure that you will have no problem breaking that 2 hrs in your March "A" run!

Marie!! Hope everything is well with you.

Steve biker, Dan and all other masters..."hi"

I am finally beginning to get the running bug again!!! Although I have been running 5-6 times a week all summer...I just have not wanted to do any races. Just was not interested, but now that cooler weather is here...it is coming back!!

I am picking up an impromptu HM this Saturday here in my hometown. I was not going to run this because my running club of which I am on the board is helping the Lion's club put on this inagural HM/Marathon. But, they wanted a few of the running club memebers to run it with our BRC shirts for the visibility and to encourage people to join the running club. So....I will be "running" and I use that term losely a HM on Saturday that I am not trained for! Should be a blast! I am not worried about time...just participating and having fun. I am also going to run along with and encourage some first timers friends that are worried about finishing. I may actually run some of them in and then turn around and go back to pick up some others that are having problems in the last few miles and run them in also before crossing the line myself. Trying to pay it forward as I have had alot of help from other runners during my early HM's.

I am also officially beginning Marathon training on Monday after the HM! I have signed up for a small Marathon here in my home State that will be on Feb. 9th! Tony, this will be my "A" race for 2013.

I have a friend that is supposed to run the ING NYC Marathon on Sunday. Poor thing, I feel so sorry for her..she is supposed to fly out tomorrow, but the airports are still closed and they say it may take 2-3 days to reschedule everyone. I sure pray that she gets there and is able to run it...she has trained so hard for this.

It looks like most everyone on here was spared by Sandy. Prayers for those that were affected by her.

Happy Runnin!!!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Hello everyone!  First time poster here.

I am a 59 yo male who has been running 5k races for several years.  I'm planning to run a couple of 10k races in the next couple of months, the first taking place on Thanksgiving morning.  Would like to hear tips from those on this board re: training.  Currently I run three days per week.  (Since I run mostly on concrete and other hard-pack surfaces, running more often takes a toll on the joints.)  My current training schedule is as follows:

Tues:  2 mile run plus speed work (50 yard sprints, then 6-8 sets of stairs).

Thurs:  3 mile run

Sat:  6.2 mile (10k) run at race pace, followed by 1 to 3 miles at a slower pace or alternate run/walk.

On the in-between days (M, W, F), I do strength work in the weight room.

This past Saturday, my 10k run (per MapMyRun) was 6.27 miles in 56:04 at an average pace of 8:57 mins/mile.

Any tips you might have to improve training/time would be welcome.

P.S.  I recently signed up for the San Diego Half marathon in March 2013, so I'll need to gradually increase distances on my long runs over the next few months.

Thanks,

Rich

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

Jun 8, 2011

Rich - looks like you are ready for a great 10k time and experience. Good luck!

Mimi - welcome back!! You are such a powerhouse, organizing and running! So what is your training plan for the spring race? I know what you mean about advising grown kids. Mine has actually asked my opinion, probably in hopes of wrangling tuition $$. So, I gave it, kinda like I used to tell her to dress warmly on cold days, so the illness wouldn't be from me not saying something. The NYC race is on. Your friend could drive to Richmond and take Amtrak or bus or drive. If I were in her shoes I would not rely on flying with all the ppl waiting and still a lot of power outages in the buroughs.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

MKay Your post has my mouth watering. Anyway For my next two races i will be doing walk intervals only at my scheduled water stops for 30 seconds. However I've met several sub two hour Half Marathoners that use a 4/.30 interval successfully. In my opinion I would lighten up my race schedule and train for the Full. I was shocked at the large percentage of people using intervals. You can start out with a .30/.30 or a .45/.30

which will put you on track for about a 5;45 finish time. If all goes well you could do 1/1 which would shave off !5 to 30 minutes depending on your running speed. Either way you'll never forget crossing that finish line.

MiMi Glad you checked back in. I DID IT since you were gone Chicago Marathon 5:17 WHOO WHOO. Depending on my business travel schedule I might be trading out Rock n Roll St Pete for NOLA. which i see you'll be running.

Rich Welcome you'll find a very dedicated interesting bunch on this thread. Always there to cheer you on or offer helpful advice. I would suggest for your upcoming HM in March you check out either Hal Higdons beginner HM plan on the internet. Or if your going to do intervals nothing beats the Galloway program. Also available on line. For the record I also run 3 to 4 days per week. Long runs start at 6 miles and increase 1 to 2 miles every week. I do one tempo run per week which now will include bridge repeats as I attempt to get quicker. My other run is a easy run about 75% MHR. Sounds like you have a firm base. You just need to pick a plan between 12 to 16 weeks and stick to it. Keep us updated on what you selected.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

It's been awhile since my last reply.  So, forgive me if I miss you...

MKay - Giants do it again! 

Marie, sound like you're back on track.

Dan, Congrats!  Good race!

Tony, already sent congrats, but congrats again!    I don't think you're tired of hearing it yet!

Mimi, welcome back.

Rich, welcome to the group.  Only 3 days of running a week?  Depending on what you want to accomplish I would say you might want to increase that.  I followed loosly the Hal Higdon advanced 10K plan, which has you running 4-5 days a week with a long run/races on Sundays.  Longest run is 10 miles.  Figured that way I could step up to a 1/2 w/o too many problems.  In April ran my first 1/2 in 2:14, in week 7 of my 10K training ran my secon 1/2 in 1:48:34.  Think it worked for me, YMMV...

Ran two races this last week.  A 1/2 on Saturday and ~5miler tonight.  Gotta say, don't recommend that order -- would have been soo much better off doing the 5 miler first.  Oh, well can't pick when the races are.

The 1/2 Marathon was a trail run and have to say I made a mistake running it in my Bikila's (Vibram 5 finger).  I was doing well for the first half of the course, but starting at mile 6 all the way through 10 was very rocky and brutal on my feet.

Checking the Garmin afterwards, I actually did the first 10K in under 50 minutes (a goal of mine is do a 10K in under 50, haven't done it yet).  But, with the rocks kicking in big time, I had to slow down and that's when I made mistake 2.  Didn't feel too bad and I was worried about losing my car key so didn't use my gels and wasn't taking water.  Hit mile 10 in under 1:25 (just barely), but I realized at that point my reserves were about out.  There was a pretty rocky section from mile 11-12 and I slowed again to compensate.  Tried to kick it in, but had nothing and finished in 1:53:06.  Not bad, considering, but I foolishly tried to do it w/o fueling.  Marie, the whole field got chicked as woman finished first overall!

The 5 mile run was tonight.  A fairly small field with grey skies threatening.  Wasn't sure how things would go because I only got one run on Monday and that was a slow recovery run.  Legs felt a little tired/tight as I tried to loosen them up ahead of time, since my feet were still sore from the 1/2 I wore my racing flats.  Got sorta near the front of the crowd and took off pretty quickly.  For the first 1/2 mile there were only 3 people ahead of me and I knew I was going out too fast.  Another 8-10 people passed me in the next mile as I tried to slow to a more comfortable pace.  Never did get comfortable, think the effects of the 1/2 wouldn't allow it.  As we hit the turn around point a couple more people passed me.  Just kept think turnover, turnover, turnover trying to keep my steps small but quick.  With about a mile and half to go, a young guy in a cape passed me.  He was the final person to pass me.  It was pretty dark by this point and I kept telling myself a little further to the next turn, a little further and you'll be on pavement, a little further and you'll see the finish.  Every light was a bit of dissapointment, cuz I wasn't as far as I hoped, but I was worried someone would pass me so I kept pushing.  Finally, I could see the finish, but I couldn't see the people. Tried to sprint in and crossed the finish in 35:59 official time.  Turned out there was a woman not far behind me.  Again the whole field got chicked as a woman won this race as well.  I ended up 17th overall and 2nd in the 50-59AG, but more importantly took 1:16 off my previous time for this distance.

Run strong!

Ray

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I've already checked out the Galloway training program for the 1/2, but I'll be sure to also look at the Hal Higdon program as a couple of you mentioned.  I'm really looking forward to my first official 10k just three weeks from today.

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Tony! Yes, I know that you ROCKED Chicago!!! YOu did AWESOME.

Actually, I have posted to you 2 or 3 times on your awesome acheivement!:)

It would be wonderful to meet you in NOLA, but I have had a change in plans. A friend of mine wants me to run the Disney Princess HM with her on the same date as the NOLA! I registered for it today! I have wanted to do a Disney run and since I ran NOLA Marathon in March it was a no brainer. And I live pretty close to NOLA and I can run it anytime.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

mimi Don't know how i missed your older post. But went back and found them tonight. You'll love The Disney Princess race. I know several who have given it rave reviews.......

Ray

Great Race Even if you got chiched. "That was a speedy Chick"

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Ray, you sure have some" FAST" women in your area!  You did an awesome job, esp gutting out the 2nd race and finishing w/ a nice pr. Enjoyed your race reports!

Rich, Welcome! Sounds like you are well on your way with a good plan.

Sandra, good to see you posting again. Stay on that mission!

MaryKay, don't you just love those runs when you feel like you could go on for longer and longer! Like Tony, your post made my mouth water.....also gain about 3 lbs. LOL

Dan, you're not being lazy.....you are recovering!

Kathy, You are an inspiration and a real cheerleader. To be willing to run back and help others across to the finish is truly admirable. Like you said, it is a great way to pay back for those dear souls who helped you. I think you will love the Princess HM at Disney. After all....it's magical. Do you plan to wear a princess costume? If so, which one?

My DD and are are planning to run the Disney HM in costume, she Ariel, me Ursula, provided I get the patterns figured out and made. She is in charge of make up and figuring how to get my long ponytail to look short and spiky. We haven't decided about the full. It may just be sparkle skirts over C W-X compression tightsand tees in colors that suggest a character.

We have an 8.5 mile hike followed by a 20 mile run (run/walk of course) scheduled for this weekend. Whew.....say a prayer for us! I expect this will let us know IF we have any hopes of completing Goofy.

My first cousin and her husband are running NYC marathon this weekend. She is nervous, esp given the circumstances and many mixed emotions as to whether it should have been held or not.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of running, esp those racing.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

I thought you all would enjoy reading these articles. Marathon runners over 50

http://online.wsj.com/article/ SB10001424052970204005004578081 342092087414.html

and 93 yo body builder. He didn't start until he was 87

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201210/93-year-old-bodybuilder-medical-marvel

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Jun 8, 2011

Kathy, I worry about that Gulf Coast HM and fatigue before your marathon. I was ok after the USAF HM and White Tail but my running bud got a stress injury that grounded him from the MCM last week. I've been fighting a cold since running Columbus 2 wks ago and my longest run has been 6. I honestly could run more but don't want to. 

Thanks, Tony, I am drawn to training for a full but am having doubts about my strength/ability. I hope this is just race blahs or a cold.

Have been obsessed w the NYC marathon news after seeing the devastation in NJ and Staten Island. I lived on Staten Island for a year and summered at the shore. I'm active on Twitter and much of the organizing and uproar was aired there first. It is a shame they waited so long to cancel given the massiveness of damage and need that area had and still has for supplies and security. The delay must have cost runners millions. Following Cory Booker's tweets, the folks of Newark are getting much more impatient and demanding and unfortunately parts will be without power for a while still, including some schools. I think the biggest problem is no one was prepared for the magnitude of damage. It breaks my heart to see folks so distressed.

Tried to get in a long run but had a lazy morning. By the time I got out it was raining and cold so went to gym. 4 mi in 58 min and was ready to quit. Walked another mile and let myself stop. Have a 5k tomorrow morning and wanted a last chance at a good time. All I want now is sleep. ??

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Marie-good to know the over 50 group is well represented.

Nice cool day yesterday, low 40's, but the 6+ miles I ran felt harder than it should.  Maybe I'm still recovering from the marathon??  I'll take it easy and give it time.  I'm going back to trying to build my aerobic base by run/walking slowly enough to keep HR down in aerobic range.  I've got several months I can work on that before starting a HM plan for early May race.

Run strong and safe friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)