Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55224 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Previous Next
  • jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Oct 31, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I got my Nike+ data uploaded.  W7d1 was nearly identical to w6d3...at least I'm consistent.  According to my pace between miles 1 and 2, I actually did shave about 7 seconds off my pace.

I actually did c25k the last time I deployed but I did the whole thing on the treadmill.  By the time I quit I was running 40 or 50 minutes at a time, but it turns out I was cheating myself.  I would set zero elevation and 5 m.p.h. and go.  It also got really boring running in one spot for so long.  Running outside is definitely much more difficult but it is also more rewarding.

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    211. Oct 31, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I finished W8D1 this morning.  I felt like I was running through mud the entire time.  I wanted to quit at 1 mile but I knew that wouldn't be good for me mentally, so I kept going.  I surprised myself by finishing the 2.75 miles.

I really envy those of you who find running so easy and enjoyable.  While some days my runs are easier for me than other days, I can't say that any are really that enjoyable. 

Greenybeany: The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that it's only 30 minutes of my day.  Actually, because I'm so slow, it's a little more, but 30 minutes is easier for me to think about than the actual time it takes. 

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    212. Oct 31, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Nicollette-  Not sure any of the tips would help anyone but me but here they are.   My stride was too short so he had me stretch it out a little more so I was hitting mid foot, no longer than if you stepped in a lunge and your foot and knee were in one line.  Run smooth, no bouncing up and down. relaxing my lower back and hips was a big one. I tighten up because I have a lower disc issue and I think i'm protecting it.  He did complement me on my breathing and said never take it faster than 2 breaths in 2 breaths out until i was to the point I wanted to do sprints.  The lacing of the shoes though was huge!!!!!   I really recommend finding a good running store with knowledgeable people and discussing all your aches and pains they may have solutions for some or all of them.

So today I got my biggest motivation for running today when I got on the scale and for the first time in 10+ years the first number was not a 3.  I enjoy running becuase I love what it's doing for me. and this summer  we will not have to skip activities or hikes becuase I can't do them. I'll be the one saying  "come on lets do that 3 mi trail to the lighthouse."

• KimElizabeth Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 31, 2012
    213. Nov 1, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi!  I am so happy to have found this post. I love the sharing, info and motivation, and would love to be apart of it!!    I think I have read almost every one of the 15 pages, so far! 

Background info...  I am 50, have never run before, and am on WW, too.  I've lost 12 of 25 lbs in the last 2 months and am now plateauing . Oh, and I quit smoking 57 days ago (per droid app. QuitNow). 

I began C25K in September.  I repeated a couple of weeks, and am only now on W3D2.  Still, my marathon friends suggested I do a 5K to get the feel of it (even if I walk). So, I did one at the beginning of October.  It was a 'Run Like a Diva' 5k and was sooo fun.  I was slow, at 46:29.  But, I wasn't going for speed, I just wanted to finish (I wanted the rose, tiara, boa and champagne! ).  So, that is my back story.

I would love to have the friendship of those who have just begun running, too. 

May I ask where everyone is from?  I am in Long Island, NY.

~Kim

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    214. Oct 31, 2012 4:37 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Welcome, Kim!  Congrats on quitting smoking! 

You asked where we're all from, so I guess I'll go first (after you)...I am from California, near San Francisco.

Anyone else want to share?

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    215. Oct 31, 2012 9:04 PM (in response to looney2ns)

looney2ns, I don't know about everyone else here, but running for me is not easy and it is not enjoyable.  What is enjoyable is the feeling I get once I've finished a run successfully and that rush I have for the rest of the day on run days.  I'm also hoping that with enough running, eventually I will lose enough weight that it will become enjoyable.

almightlyD, I posted something on the 200+ pound thread about my "Oh S---" moment last night at the gym.  I was over that way for a hand-2-hand combat class and since I was in my shorts and T-shirt rather than full uniform I figured I'd jump on the scale.  They have two of them, like the ones they have in Dr's offices.  I slid the weight all the way up to the 300-lb mark just to see if I was at least less than that (I was a shade over when I came back after my last R&R).  The bar didn't budge...at all.  I slid the weight back to 0-lb and got off and the bar still didn't budge?  The bar was stuck.  I didn't have it in me try the other scale at the time...maybe next time I'm over that way.

BTW, I am in Bagram, Afghanistan by way of Cincinnati, Ohio

• KimElizabeth Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 31, 2012
    216. Nov 1, 2012 1:52 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Hi Looney and Jeb,

Thanks so much for the welcome and replies.  Also, thanks for the congrats, Looney.  I appreciate it!  

I finally finished W3.  I've only been doing this for 6 weeks or so!  This week, though, I feel like I am "getting it".  I am keeping my pace slow so that I can finish the 'timed' running and I find that by going so slow, I am breathing much easier than I had been. Go figure!!   It must be all the reading (about running) I've been doing lately, and more importantly, understanding what I am reading.  I just feel like it is now clicking... which is really a good thing because I was not enjoying running at all. Now, I go home, change quickly and shoot out the door.  Maybe I was overpreparing before and working myself up to exhaustion.  I don't know.  Although, I will probably find out how much I enjoy running tomorrow, when I begin W4.  Ugh!

What happened to running like a kid?  Why do I now have to 'learn' to run?  It has become a science!  I like the fun of a kid!  Maybe I will find that tomorrow.  Right now, I am off to read a blog... by Jeb!

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    217. Nov 1, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to KimElizabeth)

Hi Kim! Congrats on the weight loss especially while you quit smoking. while i have never been a smoker i know several people who have gained 15 or 20 lbs while quitting. So every pound lost is an accomplishment. I have heard that eating full fat calcium rich dairy is good way to jump start your metabolism if you have hit a plateau. I don't know if it works or not but treating yourself to some real ice cream would be worth a try! Lol. I am on W5D2 tonight so I am not too far ahead of you... I definitely have the running fever now. My first 5K was addicting! one drawback i have found is that instead of my fat melting off quickly like it usually does(I always gain it back) through diet alone, I am losing weight much slower now that I am exercising as well. I am only losing 1-3 lbs a week instead of 5-6 lbs like usual. I had hoped that exercising would speed up the process not slow it down. Oh well. I love it so I am not going to stop. :-) I hope that when I lose more weight running will be even more fun. Good luck, and here's to running like a kid! Lol

BTW I am from a small town east of Atlanta, GA.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    218. Nov 1, 2012 9:38 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Completed W5D2 tonight. It went well. I extended my 5 min runs to 10 and decreased my 5 min beak to 3 min. I took 3 min of my cool down than ran the rest of my 5K. I broke all of my records but I am still really in a lot of pain.

I started my Nike+ app after I completed my 5 minute warm up so I could get a more accurate read on my pace.

Check out my run and my new badges...

Attachments:
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    219. Nov 1, 2012 10:11 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Nice  Nicolette!  I will pretend I'm running as fast as you next time I run :-)

Welcome Kim!   I'm running in Seattle ! 

A friend of mine sent me a link to a race on nov 18th saying it was a really fun first race becuase it is totally flat around a beautiful lake.   I kinda want to do it  and then go to class the next week with my shirt and my bib and say ha take that!!!   but the fact that it's in 2 weeks scares  hell out of me.     Soooo afraid that I will be the last one across that finish line by like 30 min.   ahhhh the anxiety :-)  Oh what to do.... what to do.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    220. Nov 2, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well its been a rough week for me.  And the storm didn't help.  I live in a west side suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and we really didn't have it too bad.  Definately not like New York and NJ did. 

Kim, welcome! Glad to have you with us.  Everyone is so encouraging on this forum.  I was surprised to see your post so soon after the storm.  Glad you are ok.  My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.  It has been a weird week here and like I said, we really didn't get much. 

Nicolette, I was nearly crying while reading your post from Sunday!  You DID IT!  Yeeeeeee haw!  I am doing a 5K on Thanksgiving Day in Detroit and I'm quite nervous and excited too.  I am hearing how huge it is (over 20,000 runners) and how fast it is (top runners finish in under 15 minutes).  I really don't care.  I'm not doing this for speed.  I'm doing it for me. You are my inspiration!

Interesting events have transpired regarding my bilateral knee pain.  Seems how the doctor said nothing was wrong, I went and did a 2.5 mile Heart Walk last Saturday in Akron.  I was nervous I would have too much pain to do it.  I didn't.  I walked it and without any issues.  I actually felt so much better.  I found a running group nearby and they were going for a run at a local park that night so I met up with them because I felt fine.  I was soooooooooooo slow!  I felt really bad.  They were 1/2 marathoners and I was so pokey.  It was getting dark out so they didn't want to leave me by myself.  I ended up causing one of them to basically skip their run.  I couldn't keep up with them at all and it didn't bother me that I was slow as much as it bothered me that I messed up their run. I'm not getting hung up on speed at this point but I had to keep stopping to walk becasue their strides were huge. They were super nice about it and said they didn't mind at all.  They wanted to encourage people to run so they were fine with my pokiness.  Anyways, I felt it was a good run.  I couldn't use my app or anything.  One girl kept trying to talk to me while we ran.  FORGET THAT! 

So on Sunday I was sore again.  I had gone to a Fleet Feet store Saturday after the HeartWalk thing and the guy told me about the foam roller so I bought it.  I have used it everyday and it really works well.  I am just super tight.  My hamstrings are like finely tuned guitar strings!  They are so tight! On Sunday it was really yucky out so I went to the gym and got on an elliptical.  That was the magic trick for me.  On Monday my left leg was completely fine but my right knee hurt still.  On Monday night the storm hit and there was no way I could run outside.  I went to the local Y that night and ran the track. I started back up on week 5D2 and by the last run I hit the "runners high".  I suddenly was able to lengthen my stride and I felt like I was flying.  My breathing was synced with my pace and I just took off.  Sadly though, my app didn't work right and I have no idea what my pace was.  It was an incredible feeling and I am hooked!

On Tuesday, everything was closed because of the storm. The power was out in half the city and trees and power lines were blocking many of the roads.  It was a do nothing day for me. I was also very sore once again.  With the awful weather I have not been able to run outside and I haven't gone to the gym since Monday.  I'm not feeling good about it.  I'm kinda discouraged.  This right knee pain is ridiculous.  I think its nerve pain from the swelling.  I have had too many things come up to steer me away from running.  I used to go out running in the mornings but with the weather being so bad, I can't do that so I have to wait until after work.  By the time I'm done with work, I don't want to do anything.  The weather is supposed to improve in the next few days and I am hoping to get out in the mornings again. 

So thats my story,  I am not giving up.  I WILL do the 5K in Detroit.  I WILL get back outside and run.  This pain WILL improve.  Also, I'm not losing ANY weight.  I am definately smaller though.  I am fitting into clothes I couldn't fit into a year ago, so I'm just going to keep on going.  I have been thinking that I have to be able to run the entire 5K on Thanksgiving.  Now, from reading Nicolette's posts I see that I don't.  I just need to DO IT!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    221. Nov 2, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Wow maureen, I had no idea cleveland was hit so bad! I'm in Rochester, NY, and we had a few downed trees and stuff, but that was it. However, a couple thousand people along the coast of Lake Ontario were told to evacuate.

Yesterday I was supposed to do W7D1... but I didn't. It was the first time I have ever deviated from the plan and my thurs-sat-mon.schedule!!!  But, I've been really busy and exhausted all week so I ended up taking a 2 hour nap after work instead of running! I think I'm fighting off a cold or something. I've been doing a lot of raking leaves and picking up all of the branches that fell during the hurricane though, so at least I have been getting some exercise! Also, my Morton's Neuroma and a tendon in the bottom of that foot have been bothering me. I can't figure out if it is because of the increased amount of running, or the fact that I ran on the treadmill. I think I may just take this week off and start back up on Monday, giving myself a full week of rest. But, if I am feeling good on Saturday or Sunday, maybe I will run.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    222. Nov 2, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Cleveland wasn't hit that bad really.  Just alot of old trees falling over.  One freeway close to the lake flooded for 1/2 a day.  Everything is pretty much normal now.  Today I went to the gym and did the elliptical and some core work.  I think my biggest issue is doing something everyday.  Tomoorrow I am running 20 minutes outside! Hopefully it will be a good run.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    223. Nov 2, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Thanks!!! 

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    224. Nov 2, 2012 4:53 PM (in response to maureen0131)

Hey Maureen0131, I'm in Cleveland, too.  Our track at work was flooded, so I had to hit the treadmill. Not the same, but I got it done. Tomorrow, I'm doing the Run for the Shelter 5K at Edgewater Park.  I'm nervous/anxious/excited.  Wish me luck everyone!!  

Good luck to everyone! Keep up the great work!  Thanks for the encouragment.

shelly

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...