Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

637 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 12:24 PM by BOSNPM RSS
OwenlovesHrpn Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2012 11:50 AM

First 1/2 Marathon Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of basic questions as I prepare for my first 1/2 marathon this Sunday. 

For what it's worth, I'm a 50 y/o male in average physical shape. I think I'm ready as I've run 9, 10 and 11 mi 'long-runs' the past 3 Saturdays. My questions are:

1. Should I carry any of the Energy Gel packages? I've never used them, but this is longer than I've ever run and starts at 8AM Sunday. I certainly won't have much food in my stomach when I start. At what point should I take them? should I use 1? 2? more?
  2. On occasion my nipples get irrated (I know this is funny to ask, thank goodness for anomimity of the internet). I think it's only happened on days where it's rained on me and I have a cotton shirt on. Is this common under these circumstances? Should I prepare for the worst and use bandaids? Forecast is cold (45F) and dry.
  3. What should I force myself to eat before the race -if anything? Will 1 banana be sufficient?

Thank you in advance.

O

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 1, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to OwenlovesHrpn)
    First 1/2 Marathon Questions

Good luck:

#1:  You don't have to I like to take a gel right before the start, then again around mile 5-6.  You will not run out of glycogen in a half but I still take fuel as I posted.

#2:  Band-Aid work for me, you can also use glide or some Vaseline and that will take care of the nips!  Cotton is not the best type of shirt, tech shirt.

#3 I like a banana with some peanut butter, but the goldern rule is don't do anything knew on race day, do what you have been doing for your long runs!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points