Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

704 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 2:09 PM by BradW44
Stammair Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 30, 2012 5:01 PM

IT band injury 5 weeks before Chicago marathon 2012

Just ran 2012 Chicago marathon... Awesome. I created a 20 week program based off a cool running training program. All was great through the first 14 weeks... Until injured my rt IT. During my 2nd to last long run of 20 miles at about mile 15 sharp pain outside of my right knee radiating to my hip. Very painful and got much worse. Hobbled home and iced and started researching. Could not walk for a day.  Got lots of various advice. Saw a medical doc....waste of time don't do it.  Basically said no running for 2 months and ibuprofen...not going to work for me!  I was at the end of my peak weeks... One more 22 mile and taper.  Didn't know what to do. After researching a bit I did 4 things. Major stretching 3 times daily.. A 4 point stretch found on a running site, ice daily, ibuprofen daily, easy running on flat surfaces... At first could only go 2 miles before it started hurting... After the first week could get to 5 but it still would start hurting... I cut my total miles in half from what the training program called for... By week two it was feeling better. Got an IT band from pro tec.  Seemed to help.. Think more mental but was able to run 9 miles pain free. Feeling better but still concerned as I wasn't sure how it would hold up in three weeks in Chicago.  Finished the taper.  Ran Chicago without the

band and finished in 3.23!  so excited and loved it!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...