Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52853 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 Previous Next
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Nov 2, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Timed myself in a 5k for the first time just to see.  Tried to run 1mi, walk 2 min of the top of the 2nd and 3rd mi. My time was 44 min, well thats a place to start. Still trying to decide weather or not to do the race on nov 18th.  It actually took me  3.4 mi to get home and as I was walking up to my house It dawned on me in Aug I was the person who looked for the closest parking spot to the store because I couldn't walk very far.   what a difference in just 2.5 mo.

Good luck tomarrow Shelly!!!    Hope it is as much fun as Nicolette had on her run!!

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    226. Nov 2, 2012 7:35 PM (in response to maureen0131)

You are so sweet! I am proud of you for trying to run with the group. That's a big deal! You are going to be an excellent runner. Just give yourself time to heal. I am excited to see how your first 5K goes. I am doing a turkey trot in Nov. I am not sure of the date but I am so excited. Really don't worry about your time. There were people there who have been running for years who took 45 mins  and a 65 year old man who whipped me! Everyone was so nice though. They all told me it is about finishing not your time. So just finish! ;-)

Oct 4, 2012
    227. Nov 2, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to almightyD)

You should definitely do the race! It really is amazing how accomplished I felt when I finished my first ( of many ;-) ) 5K. I am going to make a shirt that says Newbie across the back like a jersey the put the times from my first three races on it to keep forever. So next year and the year after that I will be able to look at that XL shirt and think, if I could do that then imagine what I could do now ( in a small ) lol !!!!

Oct 4, 2012
    228. Nov 2, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to shellyruns5)

Good luck on your race! You will do great I am sure!

Oct 4, 2012
    229. Nov 2, 2012 10:13 PM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

My daughter (in yellow), niece and I at my first 5K. My niece won overall female with 24:??. I won 3rd in 25-29 age group with 34:07! I can't wait for the next one!

Attachments:
  • shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    230. Nov 3, 2012 8:01 PM (in response to almightyD)

Hey there!  Thanks. I did it!!  It was SOO hard and I had zero fun! lol.  I was the very last runner, but I did not care - I crossed that line running which was my goal.  What a day!  I never experienced such kindness and support from total strangers. I was struggling yet just about everyone who lapped me encouraged me to keep going.  And...ok, trying not to cry...my entire team including our running coach who'd already finished, kept me company on the last half mile.  It was really amazing. 

Oct 2, 2012
    231. Nov 3, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hello everyone!

I completed my first 5K this morning so this officially ended my company's C25K program for Sept.  I can't believe I really did it. It was so hard. but the setting was beautiful. Not sure how many Clevelanders are on this space, but we ran at Edgewater Park, right on the lakeshore. Although I really struggled to get over a sinister hill and my feet went numb, I enjoyed the overall experience. My teammates were incredible and I recovered very well. I didn't pass out.  I'm so glad everyone was there to support a great cause...a shelter for homeless teens. Anyway, thanks for all the support!  You guys are great. Remember to run your own race!   I'll probably stick to shorter distances in the future until I can increase my endurance level. I tell you, being lapped by walkers, a lady pushing a stroller, little kids, and people w/dogs is humbling!  Although, an English bulldog gave up early!  LOL!

peace, shelly

Oct 2, 2012
    232. Nov 3, 2012 8:13 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Thanks, Nicolette78!  I did it!  It was not easy at all, but I made it through with the help of my friends!  

Oct 4, 2012
    233. Nov 3, 2012 11:29 PM (in response to shellyruns5)

I'm proud of you!

Dec 14, 2007
    234. Nov 4, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Got out for a run this morning, but still feeling fuzzy from my cold.  Not really doing any particular week of the C25K just running 3.5 mi and trying to run more and more of it.   did have my fastest pace, 1mi, and 5k but not by much.

Shelly -  how nice that you had that support for the last half mi.  Pretty sure my "class" would not do that for me.  How do you know you were the last runner across the finish ?  Maybe the other runners just couldn't run that last part. :-)  I'm sure I will be lapped by all those people when I do my first race as well :-)

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    235. Nov 4, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all,

Haven't been on for a few days, so I have some catching up to do...

Shellyruns5: Congrats on your first 5K! 

AlmightyD:  Congrats on your weight loss and on your increased time for running a 5K!  I still can't believe you are running so far.  I mean, I believe it, but I still have such a hard time with running.  I am in awe of you that you are running 3.5 miles!

Jeb6294:  I'm so relieved to hear that someone else feels the same way that I do about running.  Hopefully in the not-too-distant future we will find running a 5K to be easy and enjoyable!

Finished W8D2 this morning.  It was perhaps a tad easier than W8D1, but not much.  I should probably just stay at week 8 for awhile, until running gets easier, but I'm so close to finishing that I just want to finish week 9. 

Have a good week, everyone!

Oct 4, 2012
    236. Nov 4, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

So I completed W5D3 tonight. I left my iPod at my sisters' house so I couldn't track my run. I ran the 25 minutes straight but it was brutal! I didn't think I was going to make it. I just kept telling myself that I had to complete it or I would not be able to start W6. My first 12 minutes was definitely faster than the last 13 minutes... I am still having serious ankle pain. Any tips on how to alleviate the pain? I iced it today right after my run. It might have helped a little. Not much though.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    237. Nov 5, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to shellyruns5)

Shelly, I just signed up for a 5K on nov 18 in Strongsville but I may be walking most of it as my knee just can't loosen up! Yesterday I tried to run and I could go for about 2 minutes and then either it was hurting too much or I was walking to avoid a mud Pitt on the road.  I joined a running group that is very advanced and they run at the "normal" pace which is too fast for me. Where in the Cleveland area are you? Maybe we could run together sometime.

Dec 14, 2007
    238. Nov 5, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Ok I bit the bullet and signed up for a local 5k on nov 18th!!!!    AAAhhhhhhhhh!!!    So I now have not quite two weeks to weeks to get ready.  If only I could drop another 30 lbs in that time.    So any advice...... Please please please!

Maureen - when does your race start?  Maybe we will be running at the same time,   I will thinking of you, as I'm trying to get to that finish line too :-)   Mine starts at 9am west coast time.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    239. Nov 5, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

W8d1 is in the books.  My trick for this one was to take my usual route but start just a little earlier and move my turn around point out a little bit so I tacked on the extra three minutes but it didn't seem too much different from my 25 minute runs last week.

The Base is having a Veteran's Day 5k next week on the 12th.  I think there are probably some other Corps guys doing it so I thought about signing up, but I don't know that I'll make it.  Ironically enough, we don't get Veteran's Day off here so I will be working.  Actually, I could run it but the only reason why is because they start the race at 0500 and since they do it on the other side of the base I would have to be out the door by 0430 which is waayyy to early.  They do quite a few 5k's here and not all of them start at such an ungodly hour so there will be plenty of opportunities before I leave.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...