Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4160 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 4:17 PM by TimkoRunning RSS 1 2 Previous Next
SoreKneez Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 30, 2012 7:37 AM

Plantar Fasciitis

Help! I've been having trouble with Plantar Fasciitis. I have been doing all the stretching and excersises that is recommended. It does not seem to be helping and it's really hurting my training.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

HAPPY RUNNING!

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Oct 30, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

PF is really nasty - mostly because what fixes it for you may be different than what fixes it for me.  Basically I think of it as a symptom, not a root cause problem itself.  Something is causing the Plantar Fascia to be pounded too much.  It could be something is wrong with the hips.  It could mean you're running in a particular way so it causes issues.  It could be a shoe problem.

Have you been to a PT?  If not that is what I'd definitely recommend.  And find one that will look at the whole system - from the foot all the way up to the core.  If a PT focuses only on the foot then I'd find a new one.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Ezrida Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    2. Oct 30, 2012 11:24 PM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Hi
    I have (had?) plantar fasciitis for more than 3 years now. Investigation of the disorder made me understood that treatment efficiency is very individual - Jim said so too. Something that works for one may not work for the other. There are many causes for plantar fasciitis so different treatments help different people.
    There are many treatment techniques that you can try.

Did you try Taping? There are a few Taping techniques you can find in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html

For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someonewith plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up in triathlon. I have finished my first Olympic triathlon race two years ago. It did not all happen in one day - I am talking about 3 years now.
    My main message is to keep fighting cause it takes time - the only chronic thing about PF is the patient (me and you) that keep hurting his feet without knowing. It took me 2 years to understand that my PF comes from standing (I always blamed my running) and that my custom made orthotics does not work for me.

Takecare & Good luck

• LaraJeanL Rookie 3 posts since
    May 23, 2012
    3. Oct 31, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to Ezrida)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Hey there, PF is definitely a pain--I've even heard it called the "nuisance injury."  Stretching and support are two of the best permanent solutions for Plantar Fasciitis. Make sure your shoes are supportive, have you thought about adding a supportive insert or heel cup into your shoes? Also, Stretching the entire lower extremities including the calf, achilles, and foot will also help to alleviate tightness that could be causing your PF.

Here are two great tools that help accomplish both support and stretching: http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/prostretch-brand/essential-plantar-fasciitis-relief

Good luck and happy running!

- LJ

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Nov 2, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

As everyone is noting, Plantar Fasciitis sucks.  I've been dealing with it for about 6 months and I've tried lots of different remedies.  Here's some things that I've tried, some of which have worked for me:

- Lots of stretching:  while sitting I cross my injured foot (shoe off) up to my knee and using my fingers bend my toes back, working from my big to little toe. While doing that I am also massaging the instep. I'll release and restretch 4-5 times.  I try to do that several times a day.  Seems to help me.

- Taping:  As Ezrida mentioned it might help you.  Sometimes it seems to work for me, other times no - can't figure out why.  For a while it was a life saver.

- Shoes and insoles/orthotics: I have experimented with all sorts of insoles and orthotics - some feel good on certain days, but not on others... Again, can't figure out why, so I go with what feels good.  I've even tried some of those "gel" inserts.  One crazy thing:  I recently bought some Newton running shoes, and I noticed that with the raised midfoot (which causes my heel to be a bit lower), my PF discomfort goes down!  So sometimes I wear them around the house or at work (I get weird looks, but I don't care....).

- Standing a lot does not help...  If I am in a situation where I will be doing a lot of standing, I'll take the time to stretch out that foot as many times as I need to to feel good.

- Immediately after a run I ice my entire foot:  I literally plop my foot into a sink with cold water and ice for 5-10-15 minutes (whatever I can stand).  Then I towel it off, warm it up, and massage it.  Feels great afterwards.

- NASIDS (like Advil) don't help much, so I don't bother (and prefer not to).

- Not running or exercising is not an option.... and it will still hurt. 

I have a non-runner friend that has PF, so I figure that if he has it and doesn't run, my continuing to run can't be that bad.

The good news is that my PF seems to be abating.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck.

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

6/17/2012      AA HM      2:09:01

6/3/2012       DexAA HM    2:00:31

3/11/2012          St Pat's 5K          0:25:42

11/10/2011          A2TT 10K          0:52:27

10/9/2011          Chicago Marathon        4:49:55

9/3/2011          Milford 30K      DNF  (cramped out at 14m)

6/25/2011          Solstice 10M     1:27:15

6/5/2011          DexAA HM      1:58:53

5/1/2011          BP10K       0:51:58

10/17/2010          Detroit HM  2:06:19

6/6/2010          Dex-AA HM    2:09:30

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Nov 2, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Plantar Fasciitis

I just came across this link on another post - looks interesting:

http://tao-fit.com/self-treatment-for-plantar-fasciitis

-b

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    6. Nov 3, 2012 11:01 PM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Find the cause. Mine was tight calf. Direct iceing, friction release, & patience. You can run thru it but it sucks.

• FrancineFox Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009
    7. Nov 7, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

I had plantar in my left foot for one year, and when it healed I got it in my right foot.  Among countless other things I tried, I taped my feet before every run and stood on the stretch board for 5 minutes at a time three to four times per day- always the first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  About 6 weeks ago I started taking vitamin C, 1000 mg, twice a day.  I have no more pain.  My other suggestion is if you are not already doing so, flex your feet in the morning before you get out of bed.  Hold the stretch for about 30 seconds.  It makes getting out of bed with plantar bearable!

• tjeresa Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    8. Nov 8, 2012 7:14 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

I've been struggling with plantar for the last 6-7 months.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned in previous posts is the use of a night splint- at boot/brace that keeps your foot flexed at night, keeping the plantar fasciitis from stiffening up.  I've found it extremely helpful with my mobility in the morning.  Good luck!

• KarenA123 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2012
    9. Nov 8, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Like Francine, I had PF in my left-foot, after more than 18 months I slowly built my running back up, only to get it in my right-foot. My previous treatment included not running, stretching, strengthening, taping, a very painful and unpleasant steroid injection and eventually acupuncture. This time I've gone straight for the acupuncture. I've had two treatments so far and am almost pain-free. I'm doing a different set of strengthening exercises too, calf raises, clams, squats and lunges, to improve my glute strength, but have found the acupuncture to be very successful in my case. It's not very pleasant, and is quite uncomfortable at the time, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. I also keep a golf ball handy and to massage whenever I get the chance!

• sederleaf Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    10. Nov 8, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

PF can be healed, contrary to what one PT told me after several weeks of stretching and strengthening therapy.  I will endorse what many have said already - the solution may vary from person to person.  Whatever you do, don't give up running.  If you love it, just keep pursuing different options until you find one that works.  You may need to concentrate on other forms of cardio (bike or swim) initially, but you don't have to give up running forever.

What didn't work for me:  insoles made of hard materials i.e. Superfeet, etc.; physical therapy strengthening (tried it twice); not running - didn't make any difference; night splint; custom orthotics.

What did work for me:  PF-specific taping with KT Tape; Alimed Freedom Accomodator orthotics (slightly squishy - not soft or hard.  Worn  in my running shoes, I replace every 3 months);  http://www.footeducation.com/plantar-fascia-specific-stretch  This stretch was key - I did this stretch before getting out of bed in the morning, then 9 or 10 more times during the day, especially before any weight bearing exercise.   It was prescribed by an orthopedic surgeon that I saw and it worked for me.

I have also become a devoted follower of the Galloway way of running.  The only way I am able to increase my distance is very slowly, and by incorporating walk breaks into every run.  Maybe it's not hard core, but I'm happy being able to run, set and achieve incremental goals, and remain injury-free (having just started running 3 years ago at age 50!)

After 2 years with very painful PF in my right foot, I was able to finally achieve some goals with my running this year.  I'm looking forward to training for my first Half starting in early 2013. 

Good luck!

Sally in MI

Started running August 2009

Big House Big Heart 5K 2009 – 37.42

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2010 – 37.45

Big House Big Heart 5K 2010 – 34.09

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2011 – 33.16

Dexter-AnnArbor 5K 2011 – 33.25

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2012 – 34.28

Big House Big Heart 5K 2012 – 33.30

Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K 2012 – 1:09:19

The Color Run 5K Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti 2012 – untimed

Mackinac Island 8 Mile Run 2012 – 1:34.52

A2 Turkey Trot 10K 2012 – 1:10:55

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2013 - 34:49

Race to Empower 5K 2013 33:16

Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon 2013

• Caryn626 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 22, 2009
    11. Nov 11, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

I'm not sure if you ever use an elliptical but I'm starting to suspect that it is causing PF in my right foot.  Seems to make sense since you are constantly applying pressure to the middle of the foot.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    12. Nov 13, 2012 1:19 PM (in response to Caryn626)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Freeze plastic bottle of water and roll your foot over it.  Naproxen.  Sleep with a Strassburg sock which will keep your calf gently stretched for however long you sleep.

These all worked for me.

Good luck.

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    13. Nov 22, 2012 9:23 AM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Do you have access to a good gym? I used most of the methods mentioned above, and they were a temporary fix, but the one thing that made PF go away and stay away for me was heavy legwork, especially below the knee.

I would not go as far as recommending it for everyone, but if you have a good weightlifting base already, it might be worth a try.

My favorite machine was the sit down calf with the bar you push out with your feet. Placing the middle of my foot on the bar with 150% of my body weight and just holding it, stretched the tendon out. I also did the normal calf exercises on that machine and other machines and free weight. It took about three weeks for the PF to go away, and it never came back. If that machine isn't available, you could do the standing calf raises and use a board.

I've continued to do heavy legs along with my running, and it works for me. It's just a suggestion.

• Revel in Running Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Nov 24, 2012 5:50 PM (in response to SoreKneez)
    Plantar Fasciitis

Two things..

First is get some ART Active release therapy

Second, use some compression socks specific for plantar faciitis

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...