Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739007 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 283 284 285 286 287 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,260. Nov 2, 2012 7:21 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

DebM - I picked up my packet the day before the marathon. Got to the event early, to avoid traffic and parking hassles. Walked up to the start area, got in a line with my last initial, stood for 5 minutes before I remembered I was WEARING my bib and timing chip. Race nerves.

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,261. Nov 2, 2012 7:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi All - First Poster -

I have been running for about a year and a half, but only about 3 months on the road. I have a 4 and 5 yr old and treadmill was only way I could run. Once I signed up for my first 5K, I think I can say I became a "runner" ok - maybe a run/walker. Now Im up to a jog/runner - emphasis on the jog. Been reading some running articles and common theme is that you want to go faster, but you need to let your body adjust. That is definitely where I am.

This week - ramped up from 5.7m to 6.3 then 6.7 then 6.9m. Today I really didnt feel good at all. I just learned from a recent article that I read that I should be running against traffic (who knew?) and on the right for trails. I am very lucky that I can plan my route to be about 90% trail if I want. Now that I know its okay to run on the side facing the cars, I feel much safer.

Today was a bad day for my run, many small muscle pains, around one shin, then the other, then the hips. (ok I need to lose weight). After the entire run of beating myself up for a "jog" pace, turns out my time came in around my average 10:45/mi.

Not sure what else I am supposed to talk about for the run - but I am training for the 11/11 World Run Day - I set a goal of 7miles and 10:30/mi - Sure, I have a full 9 days to make that goal - why not? Best recent time was 10:32/mi on a 6.5mi run.

I am new to Active.com, but feel there is good potential here to talk to other runners. I dont have any running partners yet. But thats ok, I like setting my own pace and using my yurbuds (ironman).

Another recent article I read said for each lb you lose, you can gain about 3 seconds/mile. I have losing some weight as a goal. - After 11/11, I have signed up for a 10K on 1/1. Then the plan is to sign up for a 26.2 for 5/25. I know, its a huge jump. I know, I probably wont be ready to run the whole thing, but just like my first 5K, the point for me is to sign up and complete. Its a good one, 6.5 hour time limit with no sweeper at the end. So, if you take 7 hours, oh well - no one there to give you a water other than your family. I really think I can do it under 6 hours if I did it today. Next goal is a 26.2 in October - I do have some Mud Runs planned in-between.

I am concerned about the snow. I live in CT, my area didnt get hurt by Sandy too badly, but this is my first year outside. I had to run in shorts in weather that was too cold for me to be comfortable today because I dont have enough outdoor gear yet. I run into an issue like this and then I buy more. Anyway - I was saying. Since I mainly run on trails, Im concerned about the conditions / getting hurt running in snow and ice. I am pretty locked into the days that I can run and which ones I cant.

Oh well - I look forward to hearing from you all - I look forward to figuring out how the heck to upload any of my results. I look forward to uploading any of my weekly runs. And I look forward to helping my team get more points here at Active.com - Stay safe, JEFF

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,262. Nov 2, 2012 10:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6,5 miles 51 min Perfect night.

Deb if you weren't nervous it would mean you didn't care.

Mary Kay you have to run the whole thing. It gets tough near the end. I like the shorter taper,

Mel glad the lights are on.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,263. Nov 3, 2012 12:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Jeff - Welcome, kick your shoes off, pull up a pumpkin.

DebM - hope your half went well.

jmsab - nice tm workout.

Mary Kay - My advice to you would be to try to get a faster HM time. Given your history of injuries, I'd hesitate to advise the 40 mile weeks needed for a full. And you LIKE running halfs. Get a couple of good, strong halfs done this spring and then think about a fall full. Spring fulls have been getting too hot to run, as well...

Back to my beloved trails! I hit South Table today. I started my watch and took off, checking it at what felt like 30 minutes. It was 33, so I turned around. I ran LT intervals up the hills and on the flats, jogging to rest, and going again. I'd planned for a 1 hour run, and knowing just how fly-able some of the downhills are I figured I'd  be real close. Even after spending a few minutes exploring a side path, as I got back to the trailhead my watch read 1:00:12. It's a rare day I go shirtless, but it was chilly but sunny today, and I was actually too hot in a short sleeve shirt.

Second run with my MT10s. They'll be a good shoe for the winter, I think. No rock plate, but grippy sole will be nice on snow and wet. I won't be doing a lot of technical running in snow, shouldn't need rock protection.

Run free, all!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,264. Nov 3, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

No runs the past three days. Did my cross train Thursday, 3 1/2 hours of yard work Friday (quite a bit of it thanks to Sandy), and today went to get a new treadmill. They're closing the local Sears store, so we thought we'd get a deal. Picked one out ($720) and ........... they didn't have it in stock. They checked for on-line availability, and told us they had one in a city 30 miles from there, and we could pick it up there with no extra charge. (or we could pay $125 for ship-to-home and set-up). We drove up and picked it up........ for $120 cheaper than the local store that is selling off all the inventory at "great" savings! We can't figure it out, but we'll pocket the savings. Put it together in a couple hours and it's ready to rock and roll. Try it out tonight as soon as dinner digests.

Deb.... Gotta love that Olympic snooze button pushing!! (Can we say Olympic without getting in trouble with the IOC?)

Coyote.... Just waiting in line to double check your bib number, that's all.

Jeff... Welcome. We have all types and abilities of runners here. Enjoy the comraderie. You have some very good   goals for yourself. I'm in central ME area. I also do quite a lot of TM workouts as I do not like the cold for running.

Watched the NBC Sandy music fundraiser last night. Called in a donation. Hopefully everyone who can help in some way does. That part of the seaboard got slammed. 

Run warm, people.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,265. Nov 3, 2012 8:07 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Nice score, JMSab!!! That's some TM!

NHLA- I'm going to try it, or at least that's the plan. I am not as excited this year as I was last year. Worried.

4 mi in 58 min on TM because it was cold and rainy. Meant to run 8-10 outside so I was disappointed in my attitude and running inside. Running a 5k tomorrow and hope I don't sleep through it!

Deb, run like the wind and enjoy!! Can't wait for your RR!

Been obsessed with NYC Marathon news for the last couple of days. I lived in Staten Island for a short time and seeing the destruction in NY and NJ was heart wrenching. I can't believe they waited until late Friday to cancel knowing many of the hotels didn't have power and Newark was mostly dark. Many of the Jersey boardwalks exist now only in folks' memories. Oh well. DD and friends are fine. That's good.

Stay strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,266. Nov 3, 2012 10:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 55 min. Perfect night. Took MIL to Fletcher Park. Voted best park in WNC. I wish my yard looked that nice.

MaryKay run 30 miles a week at any pace for a while until you feel it. Then start.

Jeff welcome. If it snows too hard run on the football field.

OC our trails are covered with leaves now you can't see the rocks & roots. A few hard rains will fix it.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,267. Nov 4, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to NHLA)

I have been taking it easy on my Left knee.  Mostly cross training with swimming, yoga, Zumba.  Today I ran 4 miles with 3 of 4 on local rubberized hs track. I wore a knee brace as well.  Felt good for entire 4 miles.  Took 40 minutes +/-.  Although I much prefer running on trails and roads, I think I will continue doing track work until pain resolves.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,268. Nov 4, 2012 10:20 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Run, time 36:42, 3.15 miles, average 11:40 - for me, a thing of beauty! Lungs on fire! First in AG came w free RoadID. Nice way to end a very rough season!!

NHLA - good plan! Thanks. Am washing bedding (pillows, etc) in case allergies are cause.

Fran'sMom - good time for that 4 and if track running doesn't drive u nuts, it's the best for joints.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Apr 9, 2011
    4,269. Nov 4, 2012 1:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

frances'mom - run on the outside lanes of the track and alternate directions every lap or every other. Eases stress of turning.

maryk - Yeah, NHLA said what I wanted to in much plainer language!

jmsab - have fun w/yardwork. Most of my leaves are still on the trees.

No run today. I volunteered at the Bear Creek 10-Spot (and Little Fiver). The 10.3 mile trail run was won by Horsecow Lonac in 1:03:40. Fastest woman was Emily Stewart at 1:12:53. For the record, yours truly covered the course last year in 1:48:36.

Now, get this: In the 5K, the overall winner was a little speed demon named Tyler Scholl in 17:06. Pretty good time for a trail 5K (OK, maybe a 3 miler - but it's trail and hills). Tyler is 12! The women's winner was his big sister Taylor, all of 15, with a 20:12. And that's no fluke, they've done that a couple times before at smaller races. It's pretty amazing. I was working the finish line to see it. Those kids tear it up. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Runuphill-Racing/173711160680

Hope you all had a good weekend. I sure enjoyed my morning.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,270. Nov 4, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mkay- great job on the last 5K race!  Your hard work is paying off!

OC- amazing what some of the kids can do!  I've seen some amazing times for young ones who are barely in their teens.

6+ miles yesterday, beautiful 42 degrees in early afternoon, perfect for running. I'm returning to working on aerobic conditioning by keeping heart rate down, run/walking to try to stay in the 'aerobic range".  It felt frustratingly slow and yet tiring; maybe I'm still recovering from the marathon.  I'll be patient and give it time.

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Feb 23, 2012
    4,271. Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

16 miles 2 hr 25 min. Ecco to Stoney Mtn and back. The winter views are back!

Got some new shoes. Merrill barefoot. OC I think you would like these.

Dan you still may not be recovered yet. It takes a while.

Marykay great race.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,272. Nov 4, 2012 3:44 PM (in response to justrundan)

jmsab - lol  What Jacques Rogge doesn't know won't hurt him.    Good shopping!  I'm always amazed by those who can log high miles (i.e. anything >4) on the TM - ick.

OldCoyote - LOL Race Nerves make us do silly things.  But Wow to the young ones!

MaryKay - awesome 5K

FrancesMom - take it easy on that knee - happy healing to you.

Jeff - welcome.  Winter will sort itself out - If I really can't handle the cold, I head to my local Y and hit the treadmill - which I hate - fervently - but it's better than nothing.

I have now joined the ranks of Half Marathoners! 

I was wondering whether that extra hour we got last night would be extra sleep or extra tossing and turning.  It was extra tossing and turning, of course.  I was ready to leave the house at 7:30 am (race started at 11:00, packet pickup didn't start until 9:00 and it was only 45 minutes away).  Ooops.  I checked and doubled checked and then went to the ATM for cash (just in case).   I made the 45 minute trip in 35 - I-95 was clear as can be.    I also got a parking space at the high school.  The sky was so blue, the sun was bright, but the breeze was a little chilly.  What a beautiful course!  We can past two reservoirs, saw cows, horses, llamas! and across a gravel section running through the marsh.  Rolling hills throughout, with a few bigger than others - challenging but not impossible. Newburyport is very scenic.  My goal was to only walk the water stops and, except for a small walk break at mile 11, I met that goal.  Finish time:  2:35:33.  Yummy chicken soup at the finish and of course bling.   I didn't have ugly cry face but might have exhibited goofy grin. 

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,273. Nov 4, 2012 4:05 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Debm2011 Whoo Whoo Congratulations. Bling & Chicken soup to boot my kind of race.

Mkay Great 5k and injury free

Dane believe it or nor I gave my self 3 1/2 weeks after Chicago before I DID ANYTHING. ACTUALLY Monday will be the start of my very next training cycle. Your body is just recovering. Slow and Easy .........................................

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,274. Nov 4, 2012 5:12 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Thanks Tony!

And I almost forgot - I saw my favorite spectator sign ever today that read:

"Worst Parade Ever"

LOL

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...