Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5395 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM by HOUSHMANDs Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • MichaelCoutu0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 30, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 4, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: FORMULA RUN Reviews

Bad organization.......

Traffic - I missed the start because I sat about 50 minutes on 130 crawling up to the exit. I have run over 50 races, this is the only start I ever missed.

Packet pick-up ......was poorly organized inside the store on Friday (waited about 20 minutes at about 11:00 a.m.) And who thought that parking would not be a big issue with Fun Fest on right across the road?

Just to rub our noses in it - most expensive 5K ever!

One star because it was interesting to see the amazing new track. But this is not a racing event and I will not do again.

• Kansas Deb Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    16. Nov 4, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to Guest )

What did my $50 go to?  Not to make the run more organized.  The medium t-shirt I ordered was not available so I took a small.  The run did not start on time.  This is the first run I've ever attended where the crowd was booing.  Who was the announcer trying to fool stating "there are celebrities here!"  Whatever.  Having the entrance in front of the start line was a poor decision.  Then waiting until the latecomers actually got on the track to start was meaningless too.  Let them jump on when they get there.  For a $50 entry fee, I was expecting there to be a festival-type atmosphere after the run.  Fruit, gatorade and a picture in a Micholob Ultra tent didn't cut it.  Also, I saw more than one a family try to get together to get a picture by a Kreutz photographer on teh track and were told, "oh, you want a picture?  I'm doing video"  I think that if the entry fee was half the cost or if the money was going to a charitable cause, my reveiw would have been kinder.  I agree with other reviewers that the woman who sang "The Star Spangled Banner" was amazing.  I wish we would have had a flag to look at.  I didn't bring a specator but I'm sure if I had, he/she would have been disappointed at the view of only the start/finish line.

• HyltonCruickshank Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2012
    17. Nov 4, 2012 9:51 AM (in response to Guest )

I was really excited at the prospect of actually running on the F1 track and even better that I was running with my 10 year son who this was his first race! So really awesome to do that. Plus the singing of the anthem was superb, who ever she is, really needs to sing at the opening there!

However I felt that the $50 per runner was a swiz! A t-shirt that had a stain on it, no medal and a very late start due to runners turning up late because of poor traffic controls and it would seem that the cops only got out and about at 7.30am! I agree with most of the above comments previously mentioned and hope that the F1 people learn from this as the infrastructural road system is poor.

I think that despite the hype and hopeful attractiveness to Active / Runtex to promote their brands...doing this race has done more harm than good. Sorry but I am not a happy bunny! The easiest thing was actually leaving the premises. Makes you think.....

• rpwells Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    18. Nov 4, 2012 10:01 AM (in response to Guest )

Yep, this was a huge cluster which would lead one to think this was RunTex Paul Carrozza's first stab at a 5K run and judging from his comments in Sunday's American-Statesman, "everything I thought it would be", charging a lot for poor organization must have been his plan.  The lack of traffic police at the intersection of SH130 exit ramp and FM 812 at 7:00am was a real eye-opener given that the exit ramp has a stop sign and FM 812 does not, gave me the impression that this was going to be an organizational mess.  As stated by many respondents, the lame (what a joke) run packet ( I had to retrieve my X-Large T-shirt at the track), having the participants cross the track for the staging area instead of using the service tunnel (runs under the track to the staging area) was a head-scratcher,  no exercise guru to warm-up everyone, no promotional tents with the expected give-a-ways, no energy food (especially since we could not bring any food or beverages into the facilities), pathetic excuse for a sound system with the corny announcers (should have used the on-track speaker system so everyone could understand what they were babbling), and nothing but Gatorade and water AFTER the run.  Whoever sang the national anthem was great and the highlight of the pre-race happenings. Being an F1 fan I was there to see the track and the facilities, which are / will be great when completed and can be used for a variety of events.  From the bang-for-the-buck catagory, $50 a packet (bought the $150 family) this run was a big "F" for Carrozza and crew.  Looks like this was a large money grab for the organizers since there appears not to be a charity attached to this event.  Let the gouging begin!

Ratings: Track and Facilities - 5 out of 5

Ratings: Organizers - 1 out of 5

• RobRoy69 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    19. Nov 4, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

I liked it a lot , was a wonderful track, did kinda suck the postponing of race, but if you knew where the track was located, then you would have done what i did and most others did and got to the track really early , at 6:30 am. there was not a problem at all to get in and park, so most people that had an issue with this race , just show up early. but alll in all , was a great track , not to challenging. but more water spots would be nice too.

• PattiGrant Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    20. Nov 4, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to Guest )

The track was beautiful. I was disappointed shirts weren't available Friday evening when my friend and I drove all the way from RR in high traffic. An email or FB post would have been nice to let ppl know ya'll ran out of shirts and we would need to pickup our packet Saturday morning. My biggest concern is the traffic the morning of the race. There has never been a race delay to allow participants to get to the venue. If the flow is this bad w/ only 2000 runners, how can ya'll accommodate the race. You can't delay an F1 race b/c not everyone is in attendance.

• Terri Mitchell Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    21. Nov 4, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to Guest )

Ditto to all of the above.  It took us 20 minutes to go 1/2 mile on the "80 mph" toll road only to find a "STOP" sign at a foggy intersection.  Very poor foresight and organization that kept alot of people from getting there on time.  I can only imagine what it will be like when 100,000 people go to an F1 race! Thought the race fee was expensive for a COTTON t shirt! Enjoyed running at a new venue, but why not a timed event? Thought we would have been able to "tour" the facility.

• CatherinePf Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    22. Nov 4, 2012 11:16 AM (in response to Guest )

WOW! SERIOUSLY?!?! $50 and you can't start the event on time!?!? I can understand 10-15 min with the fog, but 40 min delay was rediculous! The track was great fun, but whoever thought this track is ready for 100,000 people in two weeks is in for a HUGE awakening.

• Walton13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    23. Nov 4, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Poorly orgainzed race.  Agree with all the other complaints listed above, but would add there is no reason to hype up the spectator "pass" when they were not allowed to do/see anything- at least let them out of the pit area where they can see the course.  Also, $50 for a 5k is a joke and would at least expect a tech tee vs. cotton.  Lastly, while it is early on a Sat, if the event is sponsered by a beer company they should have a cold beer avaliabe for those that attended.

Aside from the cool new course to run on, and the National Anthem singer, this was a disapointment.

• heidor Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012
    24. Nov 4, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to Guest )

They didn't have a single Formula1 car on display at the event. For an inaugural event at the nation's only Formula1 track, I would think this would have been a priority. Instead, we were a bunch of crappy Fiats on display.  The traffic getting to the track was a complete mess. No signs or guidance available until the track gates. There was minimal food and severely restricted access to the track facilities. The 1 spectator per racer wristband policy was complete BS. If they do it again next year, either drop the price or completely overhaul the organization of the race/run.      

• EPPFormula1Fan Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    25. Nov 4, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to Guest )

Poorly organized.  Bad traffic.  Too expensive.  Nice venue, wish I could have seen more of it.  If the car race is organized similarly, it will be an embarrassment. 

• Snuccitelli Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    26. Nov 4, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Nice venue.  Poor organization.  Traffic a total disaster, no toilet paper in port a potties before race even started.  T-shirts for kids not available at packet pickup before race day.

• MaryCTX Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    27. Nov 4, 2012 12:44 PM (in response to Guest )

What a frustrating (and expensive) experience.  Even though I knew there were alternate routes, we followed the directions sent by the race organizers and sat for 65 minutes trying to exit the toll road.  Very glad they delayed the start by 30 min, but had no time to warm up and was stuck at the back of the pack.  Spectators were not allowed to actually see any of the venue, which was a shame.   Didn't understand the 1 spectator-per-person offer either.  $50?  probably not again next year.

• billh746 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    28. Nov 4, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to Guest )

The only reason I entered this event was to see the track since I probably won't see it again. $54.63 (including Active fee) for a poorly-organized fun run is ridiculous. I got to packet pick-up an hour after it started on Friday and they were out of L and XL shirts!

• CateLogan Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    29. Nov 4, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to Guest )

Missed the start of the race. Was stuck on toll 130 for 1h45 mm - What a pity!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...