Skip navigation

4587 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM by HOUSHMANDs RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • lisabbe Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 4, 2012 5:26 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: FORMULA RUN Reviews

The traffic getting to the run was definately pretty bad but overall it was a really fun race and the venue was spectacular. Can't wait to go in two weeks to see the cars race!

• Rob Kranz Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2012
    31. Nov 4, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to Guest )

This was one of the most poorly organized races I have ever experienced.

The traffic situation was beyond bad.  We sat in traffic for 1:15 and missed the start of the race by about 5 minutes.

Traffic could have been significantly improved had the organizers put a policeman at the intersection of TX130 and FM812 to direct traffic and enhance the flow.  Instead we all had to suffer at a stop sign coming off the highway.

While it was really fun to run on the F1 track, I was disappointed to find only 1 water station at Mile 1.  For $50, I would have expected at least one more water station between miles 2 and 3.

• murphyrobp Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    32. Nov 4, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to Guest )
    FORMULA RUN Reviews

OK, I understand you can't control the fog and traffic.   However, there were only 3 volunteers working at RunTex packet pickup on Friday.   I use the term 'packet pickup' loosely.  It was basically a race bib in a plastic bag.   They didn't even have the t-shirts.  I am guessing they were counting on the name and the venue to carry the race, stuck a hefty entry fee on it and then sat back and watched.   Fool me once......

• PhillBrow Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    33. Nov 4, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to Guest )

I've never seen something so poorly put together. I have a feeling this is what we should expect from RunTex going forward...that is until they go out of business. The track is awesome, and the experience was great..but RUNTEX SUCKS

• BobbieMaldonado Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    34. Nov 4, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to Guest )

You have plenty of feedback on the traffic so I don't need to comment on traffic.  But for $54 I would have expected more from the organizers.  No chip timing, ran out of shirt sizes, sparse refreshments post-run.  If patrons wait over an hour in traffic, place some port-o-potties in the parking lot.  That said, track was beautiful and announcer was good.

• Cindy R. Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    35. Nov 4, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to Guest )

Traffic was ridiculous!  Followed the recommend route assuming there would be traffic control.  There wasn't any.  Took 45 min to go 1/2 mile on 130. Got to the race 35 min late.  At least the track was pretty!

• Tina1214 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    36. Nov 4, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to Guest )

Not Run Tex's best race. I used to live in Austin and thought Run Tex was great, after moving I have come in for 2 races and both times packet pick up was a mess. Not sure what happened but will not return until they can get it under control again.

Understand the food/drink issue with construction but we paid $100 for packets and ended up with 1 t-shirt at pick up (got the other at the race) and three little cards for businesses. I hope if you do this race next year you have a much better set up or you might not have enough people to run it.

• JoshSelleck Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012
    37. Nov 4, 2012 7:50 PM (in response to Guest )

Others covered the traffic, and the organization was really just the snow-balling of the traffic situation.  That said, if you didn't get a kick out of starting off up that big hill and cruising around the track, there's something wrong with ya.  It was a great course with some challenging hills, and I had a great time!

• RunReed Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    38. Nov 4, 2012 7:50 PM (in response to Guest )

If the trafic situation experienced for this race is any indication of what people going to a Formula 1 event will face, God help them.   Worst experience of any race I have ever gone to.  RunTex, really?  How can I get my money back!  Can Formula Run blame George Bush?

• tkaspar Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    39. Nov 4, 2012 8:33 PM (in response to Guest )

The $50 entrance fee is double what this race was worth.  If the organizers were hoping for word of mouth to publicize future events, they should mail a refund or a t-shirt worth more than $3 to everyone that signed up.

For next time

- have more than two computers online (one for A-M, one for N-Z) at packet pickup

- suggest more than one route to the track

- don't issue/require a "spectator pass" that grants entrance to all of a quarter mile of pit row next to the start/finish line

- start the race on time

• lisaweb1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    40. Nov 4, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to Guest )

With little advertisement, limited info on website and knowing the track was not completed, my expectations were not set too high. I signed up just to say I was one of the first people to race on the track. Mission Accomplished!

• Auristela Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    41. Nov 4, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to Guest )

The race was great!  Glad to be able to see the track, however gtting to COTA was a challenge.  I don't understand for such a big event why there was a stop sign at 812 and 130 instead of a traffice light, or better yet traffic cotrol.  I hope COTA gets their act together by the 16th.  I know not everyone will be parking there but you still have the shuttles that need to make it thru the traffic. 

• muthalovin Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2012
    42. Nov 5, 2012 5:25 AM (in response to Guest )

This was by far the worst organized race I have ever participated in. The first hint that things were going to be rough was the traffic. I pity anyone going to the actual Formula 1 race. Hint: Leave the day before.

The lack of event staff was also a problem. We had no idea where to head once we got to the track, but finally found our way to the start. Though, it was utter chaos. The event staff was entirely unfriendly, and the hosts/DJ's/whatever they are called were really grouchy. After I finished my race, I wanted to wait for my wife at the start/finish line, but one of the hosts tried to physically move all of us waiting. Seriously dude?

All in all, it was a fun run, in and of itself, just extremely poorly organized. I expected much more from RunTex.

• ChuckNL Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2012
    43. Nov 5, 2012 5:44 AM (in response to Guest )

The most pooly executed run I have ever spent money on! I think most folks wanted to see the facility, and to say we had been on the track. We can now say that, but the logistics, race support, lines, lines, lines for everything including a drinks post race, had me fleeing the scene...oh wait, another line to leave! You blew it.

• Jimmy Bynum Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 26, 2012
    44. Nov 5, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to Guest )

Silly putting ice in the water at the water stops...you can't drink ice, but you sure can choke on it. Disorganized. Poor handling of traffic. Disappointing shirt. Horrible post race refreshments. But it only cost $50!  The course itself was nice. In the future this might be a good race...if COTA lets RUNTEX put on the race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...