Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

674 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 6:57 AM by rcuriel RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2012 2:18 PM

Runs & workouts, Sunday, November 4, 2012

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, about 9:00 pace--hard to say, because I had to change machines during the workout due to problems with the first machine.

Here's my music tip for the day: whoever you are, you must download from iTunes the late Fela Kuti's album Best of the Black President (even though it costs $19.99). I never heard of this guy till an hour ago when I was driving home from my National Guard drill and fortunately happened to have my radio turned to the college radio station 91.3 (UNH). They played the song "Army Arrangement" (over 17 minutes long) from this album. I know quality when I hear it or see it, and I thought, "This is really good, important stuff." As soon as I got home I went on the web to do my due diligence, and found out (once again) how ignorant I was. Kuti is world-famous. This album has 53 ratings on iTunes with an average score of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Quotes I found on the web included things like:

"The most important artist to come out of Africa and this album is his best work."

"When I heard this song the first time, I quit the U.S. Army and moved to Africa."

"One of the most important musical outputs of all times."

Also here is a very cool 30-minute version of "Army Arrangement" on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ouQTAaxHc.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Nov 4, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Nice run D.H., 5 miles seems to be the new normal for you, way to go.

I started a Sunday thread as well, but copied my version before deleting it, thinking I could just paste it here, which didn't work, so I'm typing again.

Anyway, I ran 3 miles on the railtrail today, pace was 10:30's.  I've read a number of people's suggestion to keep moving with Plantar Faciitis, so that's what I'm up to.  I wrapped my bad foot and packed it into a running shoe before heading out and everything went well, no additional pain from running.

I'd like to try a run like this every other day if I can and see where it takes me.  It's been a month since I've been able to run and it felt great just to be out again.  MAYBE, if I keep my foot well protected and run easy, I can keep moving while it heals, doing nothing sure  hasn't worked.

I'll check your music link out later DH, it sounds like good stuff...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Nov 5, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

DH, nice run -- even if it was on the dreadmill...

Rich, be careful - but, it does feel good to get out there after a layoff.

10 mile hike in 4 hours through Pinnacles National Monument.  4 miles on the treadmill 32:02.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...