Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

717149 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 284 285 286 287 288 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,275. Nov 4, 2012 6:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hit the TM last night before bed and again tonight after work. 5 milers. Last night 37:20 with no incline (manual said to break in the TM with little or no incline for the first 20 hours). Tonight, set incline at .5%, and ran a 36:09 5 miles. Really felt great in the second half, cranking it up to 8.7 and 8.9 on the final mile.

DebM.... Congrats on your Half!!!! Sounds great, complete with llamas.        Best sign I saw was at the Maine Marathon this fall. A kid was holding one up that said "Chafe Today, Brag Forever."

MaryK.... Great work on your 5k!!! Not sure what you meant by lungs on fire, but if I'm correct reading your PRs, you knocked 1:19 off your previous best!!! Maybe that has something to do with it.

Coyote.... Those are some fast little buggers there.

Francessmom..... I have some knee pain occasionally behind my right knee. I take a heating pad (we like the re-heatable, microwaveable cloth ones) and lay it under my knee when I sit in the recliner, or use it under my knee when I go to bed. I feel a lot better when I get up.

JustrunDan..... 6 miles is a pretty good first run back. Listen to that teenage body of yours.

Keep it up, runners!!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,276. Nov 4, 2012 8:45 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 58 min. Ran to lake and back. 64 miles for the week.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,277. Nov 5, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Congratulations, Deb!!! 2:35:33 on hills? Awesome time!! Yummy chicken soup AND bling? You definitely picked a great race!!  You are a half marathoner. Enjoy!!

JM, lungs on fire? At first I thought it was a good thing bc I had run so fast but I spent the rest of the day hurting and coughing so I guess it meant breathing cold air burns my chest. IDK whether its illness or allergies or asthma. I'm better today, just short of breath, but tempted to get antibiotics from doc. Anyway, staying in tonight. What do you do on the TM to keep from getting bored?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,278. Nov 5, 2012 1:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

DebM - congratulations on your great run, Half-Marathoner!  Chicken soup and bling make a great reward.  On my half, someone had the "worst parade ever" sign too, I loved it.

MaryK - congrats on your great run too!  Knocking 1:19 off your 5k PR is huge.

Treadmill running is the only time I use my music so I like to play fartlek with the tempos of the songs to alleviate some boredom.  I also watch quiz shows if possible.

I had a really nice 8 mile run this weekend, the one I meant to do last weekend    I had a meal-replacement type bar about 30 min before leaving and could tell, no lead legs!  I must have also nailed my pace right out the door vs starting too quickly, because the only time I had to walk was when the very nice yellow lab puppy came out to say Hi.  I wanted to make sure she didn't follow me off her property so the owner wouldn't have to chase her down.  I ended up going out ~ 30 min later than usual so the sun was fully up but it was below 40 degrees, crisp and bright.  So pretty.

Keep those feet going, friends!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,279. Nov 5, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to OshCat)

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,280. Nov 5, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10 miles 1 hr 33 min. 2 1/2 mile hill ends at the cemetery.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,281. Nov 5, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Gosh, I've missed so much in just a few days. I did get out in the cold and ran a few decent 4 mile runs. I can certainly tell that the cold affects my run. I warm up slowly and sometimes my muscles just don't want to co-operate. But, I loved it

MaryK Great job, girl! You never cease to amaze me. I used to get "Seasonal Bronchitis" from running in the cold until I learned that by keeping my face and moth covered (I use a wool balaclava) those issues are gone. Just a thought. Oh, I was diagnosed with mild asthma during that time as well.

Ogr44 Good to hear that you fared well during Sandy and nice to work in some cross training.

jmsab23 I agree regarding the heart wrenching losses for some. Very hard to see. Good job cross training and enjoy that new treadmill!

OshCat Love your Jingle Bell challenge. Good for you!

Old Coyote Funny story about your race number and welcome home to your beloved trails! Very cool, re: the brother sister team of speed demons!

dilljeffreyyahoo Welcome! You'll love it here. I run in the snow here in Mass. I find that as long as the road is plowed it's not a problem. Ice is a different story though. I use YakTrax for ice.

NHLA Thanks and enjoy those new kicks!

justrundan Being patient with yourself is wise.

Francessmom It sounds like you are on the right track with healing up your knee.

Debm2011 SO proud of you!!! That is an outstanding time too. Really, good for you, girl!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,282. Nov 5, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good day all - started standard time yesterday by having the 10K I wish I would have had a week ago.  I had what I think is my best actual 10K time of 1:08:14.  I had a timing failure on a couple that might be close but it was the best I've done with an actual good time.  this was 11 Min faster than my run last week  -- MCM 10K.  I would like to blame slow start on all the participants but I am not fast enough to actually have others get in my way like the poor folks trying to get around me....

I have noticed that I tend to be a afternoon/evening runner - my best times are all done later in the day.  I'll be waddling in the dark for the next couple of months as the sun sets before I make it home and on to the path...

Skoal/OGR44

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,283. Nov 5, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to Ogr44)

God Lord, I'll never catch up on all these posts. Great job, everybody. Is that acceptable? LOL

I haven't run since last week. I went to Savannah this weekend to cheer on friends running the RNR half and full marathon. I had never been to Savannah, but have wanted to go for years. It's such a cute town. This was my first time around an RNR race and from everything I observed, they did a great job. They had 24 start corrals though, which seemed a bit much to me and their medal ribbons were just plain. Considering how expensive their races are, I expected a bit more, but it's not like I ran the race. lol It was weird to be at a big race as a spectator, but I loved cheering on my friends, so many of whom were running their first full marathon. It was such a beautiful weekend.

So, I just registered for the Bermuda challenge, which will be in Jan. I'll run 1 mile on Fri, a 10k Sat and a full on Sunday. Yikes! It sounds quite challenging though, so I'm looking forward to it. My next race will be the Atlanta Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon. Looking forward to that as well.

I'll be back to read your posts and hopefully post about ME actually running. haha Until then, run happy, run strong.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,284. Nov 5, 2012 8:47 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

debm:  GRATS on the HM!!!  you worked hard, and now have the medal to prove it!

mkayc:  Great job on the 5k!  AG group champ and all!  Who'd they think gonna beat them Cincy runners?

melodylea:  glad to hear you are back in the groove with the new kicks.  Not sure I am as pumped as you are to start running in the snow.

jmsab;  sounds like new TM working out just great and you haven't missed a beat.

nhla:  great weekly mileage.  really wish I had the speed and the time to dedicate to that mileage.

nrdgirl and justrundan:  glad you are back in the game.  Training for a big race and then completing it takes a huge toll.  Hope you are still basking in the glory.

coyote:  nice when you can give a race report when not running!  Sorry we didn't connect but I didn't see your post until yesterday.  Any chance you will do the Wash Park Turkey Trot?  Great time but a bit overcrowded.

Never made it to the trail in Austin on Wed but got in 4 miles on the street.  Had a very strained, high HR 3 miles on Sat and was worried that overtraining had burnt me out.  Then number one son was home from college yesterday and wanted to run together for first time ever.  2 miles together before he called it quits and then I did 4 miiles more.  All in all, still pretty slow and recovering for me, but HR starting to return to normal.  More importantly, got to share some quality time with my boy, and hope for many more like that.

Out to dinner with Avery's parents and some other friends on Saturday night.  They are doing so amazing given their loss.  I try to think of Avery every time I run and get some strength from knowing that she endured so much more.

Back to gym to lift this morning.  Planning an easy 4-6 miles tomorrow. 

Hope you all have a great running week.  Run strong, be fearless!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,285. Nov 6, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wow. Lots of posts!

Dan - nice 6 miler. NHLA - I may have the time to put in those kind of miles. See if I can. DebM - Great race! - Tony - I couldn't rest that long, maybe I should have. jmsab - Grats on the TM purchase.  oshcat - I practiced fueling seriously this summer, and advise eating as much as you can on long runs. MelodyLea - Fall is about to turn cold here, too. Ogr44 - It's good to know your body's best times. NRDGirl - good to hear from you.

Linuscatch - I don't know about the TT. I'll see how my legs are feeling. My 5K PR is at Wash Park; it's a fast course and I might try to PR again. Meanwhile I'm running Saturday at Hildebrand Ranch Park in Deer Creek Canyon at the Colorado Masters monthly race. It's a 7 mile trail race. Rocky Mountain Road Runners has a Wash Park 4.5 miler on December 2nd. Getting back into club racing now that I don't have every run planned 18 weeks in advance

4 miles at 5:30 am, 38 degrees. Half moon was not enough to illuminate the trail, glad I have a headlamp! Warmup, 2 miles at 8:20-8:30, then cooldown.

At the thrift store the other day I was looking for a light jacket. Didn't find one, but found a pair of NB running pants, never worn, 8 bucks. Score!

Run free!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,286. Nov 6, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Don't forget to Vote!

I ran 4 miles in 40:17, three miles were on school track.  It was a chilly 42 degrees.  The track is 1/4 mile and is located 1/2 mile from my house so I run there do my circles then run home.  The track was empty today; for awhile it was just me and my frenemy, the Wind.  It always seems that the wind is much stronger going against me then when it is behind me.  The only good thing about running on the track as opposed to the roads is that I can listen to my MP3.  My knee feels good so I am planning to stick with this program for the time being.  I also voted today and got my flu shot - not at the same time! Although I don't know which was more painful.

I enjoy hearing about everyones miles and goals.  The cold weather has arrived here in SE PA.  Big Nor'easter due tomorrow.  I glad I got out for a run today.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    4,287. Nov 6, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Speaking of voting, this morning I told my husband, "I'm going to go run and vote!" I meant literally. Grabbed my running shoes and my sample ballot and ran out the door. The polling place is barely over 1/2 mile from home, so it's not too far to run with a booklet in one hand. Then after I voted, I found a recycling bin so I didn't have to carry it the rest of the run.

I don't have time to catch up on all the posts, but great job to those who completed races, PR'd, etc. I don't know if I'll be able to PR on the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot, but I signed up for the 5K this year to run with my hubby (he won't do a 10K).

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• Luv2Run213 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 6, 2012
    4,288. Nov 6, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hope everyone voted today! I ran to my nearest voting center which was about 7k away. LA weather is always nice to run in. Was a little exhausted though by the time i got to the booth.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,289. Nov 6, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Never know what time workday will end, so I voted absentee a couple weeks ago. Glad I did. When I drove home past the Town Hall tonight, it was PACKED.

Did some core work last night, and then some speed work tonight. Total tonight with 2 1/2 mile warmup and 1 mile cooldown was 6.6 miles, 55:37.

NRDGirl.... Bermuda Challenge: so much for tapering before the marathon. Sounds like a combination of the Bermuda Triangle and an Ironman Challenge.

Francessmom.... You always run into some wind, because you are displacing the air in front of you as you run. So, a light headwind breeze is magnified into a stiff wind. On the other hand, wind at your back doesn't help you in a comparable way when you are displacing the air directly in front of you, as your body is blocking that air. However, a tailwind definitely does help.

Linus.... Glad you got to run with your son, even if he couldn't keep up with the patriarch.

Ogr44..... Wow!!! Great time on the 10k, beating previous best by 11 min.!!!

Marykay... Boredom on TM: I use my MP3s, or play the CD player, mute the TV and watch news/sports, etc. to kill time on the TM. Also, I'm a math/numbers nut, so I watch the TM screen and try to figure out what the time will be on my next lap, or mile mark, etc.

NHLA.... 2 1/2 mile hill ends at cemetery. You got that right!!!!! That's where I'd end up.

Whoever you voted for, here's hoping whoever wins does well for you and for all of us.

And for those who lost while running for their office, they should have just asked us how to run!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...