Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

801 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 1:02 PM by Jasko123 RSS
BDRNewRunner Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2012 12:13 PM

Beginner

I am 45 and started running back in August.  I started with a constant 1.25 miles ( had to work to get to this) and can now run 5K distance ( on a treadmill...26:06 is my best so far).  I am running 6X a week and feel great.  I run outside on the weekend when I'm not at work.  I am doing it for weight loss and general overall health.  I've never been able to do this in my life.  Question is:  Is everyday too much?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 7, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to BDRNewRunner)
    Beginner

Doing something everyday is not too much.  With regard to running, just pay attention to your body and give yourself adequate recovery periods.  There may be some days that cross-training routines might be of benefit, for example.  In general, if you feel fine with your schedule, then I would say do what most improves your energy, motivation and health.  However, as you continue to increase the overall mileage, then it would become more important to alternate with some other activities to avoid the risk of injuries. 

Congrats on the commitment and progress...wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...